• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    So I was wondering the pros and cons of carrying an expensive firearm vrs a average price carry firearm for self defense. I have a farly good idea but I am sure someone will have even better advice for me. Average as in 1500 to 2000 and expensive as in 4000 and up.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I carry Glocks. I have one Glock .380 for when there`s just no other way to conceal, but I much prefer to carry my Glock 21, or Glock 30, both .45 caliber. Glocks are far from "expensive", especially as compared to Kimber's, Sigs, etc. But read the Chuck Taylor Glock torture test. Glock is as reliable as anything, and much more reliable than most.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I suggest carrying what points and shoots good. Never mind the price unless it is a true safe queen. I have carried several brands and calibers over the years. All my guns are reliable. I would not hesitate to carry one of my custom 1911’s or one of my Sigs is CZ’s or S &W. The only one I don’t carry is my Hi Power due to removing the mag disconnect.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Dayummmm... your average is my expensive! I did carry a P7 for years, and still do occasionally, but when their prices climbed above $2K I quit carrying them so often. I have a couple Dan Wesson’s, 9mm and 38 Super, I’ll carry from time to time or an older Colt LW Commander 38 Super, but most of the time anymore it’s a CZ P01. It’s not an expensive piece but it is dead nutz reliable and I shoot it fairly well. I’d hate to lose it but it’s half the cost of the others and if I need to defend myself I want something that I know will work and I’m pretty proficient with.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Yeah same here, I rely on a 1911, not dogging anyone else’s This that or the other brand, but for me I know I can count on my 1911 it’s in your low price average range, with initial cost and upgrades.

confidence, reliability, ergonomic, cost really does not factor into the equation for me.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I carry what is in my avatar.

The odds of having to use a firearm in self defense are low enough that worst come to worst, being out a grand or 2 isn't that big of a deal compared to being dead.

I wouldn't put price down as a major consideration, but sentimentality deserves consideration. Don't carry your grandfather's ww2 bring home, it doesn't matter what it costs, it's irreplaceable.

The key consideration is whether you can replace it or not.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What the heck do you carry? I think average would be way less than that

Your biggest concern is going to be having it taken if you have to use it.
    Yes because there are a lot of $500 Glocks people are packing. Then you have $250 Taurus pistols as well. Not saying bad on either one just stating the obvious.

Personally I have my carry guns that are absolutely reliable and accurate and under 1k. If I lose it in a self defense situation I can deal with losing it.
    If it's over 1k it will most likely be a safe queen/Range gun or waiting for the Chinese take over of the United States then I'd pull out the best I have to combat the swarms of ChiCom's.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    I have a Glock 19 with an rmr on it BUT I would much rather carry a Wilson or Nighthawk but would be leary if something happens and the firearm was confenscated. Would I have to hire a lawyer to get it back and would that cost thousands and who knows how long and I am not even talking about it being confenscated because I had to use it in self defense. I know if that was to happen then it would be a big headache. I like the responses that said carry what you are good with and that's the way I feel but would be worried about looseing it because I had to use it or who knows for whatever reason I could lose it.I am definitely on the straight and narrow so I really wouldn't have to worry about anything that wasn't on straight and narrow. I guess it's a lot to think about.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yes because there are a lot of $500 Glocks people are packing. Then you have $250 Taurus pistols as well. Not saying bad on either one just stating the obvious.

Personally I have my carry guns that are absolutely reliable and accurate and under 1k. If I lose it in a self defense situation I can deal with losing it.
    If it's over 1k it will most likely be a safe queen/Range gun or waiting for the Chinese take over of the United States then I'd pull out the best I have to combat the swarms of ChiCom's.

I haven't seen a $500 glock in over a decade.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I haven't seen a $500 glock in over a decade.
    I got my G20 SF for $550 but that was after shipping taxes and transfer fee of $25. Iirc it was around $475 at the time or close to it. But yeah it's been awhile since I've bought a Glock.

I've seen a lot of police G22 etc trade ins for under $500

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I’d say carry the one you trust the most and shoot the best. It would suck to lose it in the event of a shooting but that’s better than being dead.
    If I was torn between a $2K pistol and a $4K pistol that both meet those criteria, I’d carry the cheaper one. You’re more likely to beat it up and put wear on the finish when training so why do it to the larger investment?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have put a lot of miles on both a Wilson and a NightHawk. I don’t hesitate to carry either one. The commander sized gun is easier to tote around so the full size usually sits in the safe.

Truth be told a Walther PPS M1 is what usually follows me a round. It is just a matter of convenience not cost. The gun has been with me a long time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So you are saying I shouldnt be carrying my Salient arms Hi Point C9 because its too expensive/rare?

I'd say carry what you want. The odds you are going to need to use it in a way it gets taken into evidence is incredibly rare.

Top Bottom