• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is an increase in the daily harvest isn't it?
    Edit, it's been too long since I last went catfishing.
    The way this reads, it looks like they want to put a limit on the aggregate of all the different species.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    This is a problem for me. (catfish)

First, it would be a problem for my everyday survival. A great part of my yearly diet is catfish I catch.

2nd, I would like to know the in’s n out’s of the Big Rivers Fisheries Biologists credentials.

For as long as I can remember you have been allowed to run trot lines and catch as many catfish as you want. Limb lines are restricted to 10 per license in the boat.

I’ll be making some calls Monday. E-mails to follow.

This is a meeting I may want to attend after more research, anybody that wants to attend I may be able to take with me if you are South of SR-10 on I-65….. I’ll mark this thread as a follow.

My biggest concern is the ambiguity in the statement re: channel cats. It’s not clear enough for me.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    That’s it for me folks, coffee enough, headed out to the shop. Got a lot of fence to get ready before it gets to warm to breath. I’ll check in later. BBL.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    This is a problem for me. (catfish)

First, it would be a problem for my everyday survival. A great part of my yearly diet is catfish I catch.

2nd, I would like to know the in’s n out’s of the Big Rivers Fisheries Biologists credentials.

For as long as I can remember you have been allowed to run trot lines and catch as many catfish as you want. Limb lines are restricted to 10 per license in the boat.

I’ll be making some calls Monday. E-mails to follow.

This is a meeting I may want to attend after more research, anybody that wants to attend I may be able to take with me if you are South of SR-10 on I-65….. I’ll mark this thread as a follow.

My biggest concern is the ambiguity in the statement re: channel cats. It’s not clear enough for me.

Any concerns about eating too much fish as far as toxins?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Off topic….. but curious what do you do with the BIG catfish obviously people eat them? But I caught a BIG to me blue cat in Alabama and fried it up …. Like other fish and it tasted like crap lol I could have cooked it wrong…… but I blames the fish.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Off topic….. but curious what do you do with the BIG catfish obviously people eat them? But I caught a BIG to me blue cat in Alabama and fried it up …. Like other fish and it tasted like crap lol I could have cooked it wrong…… but I blames the fish.
    Nature is perfect so it must have been your cooking... :stickpoke:
    Actually, I've never been lucky enough to land a blue cat, so I have no idea how they taste.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Any concerns about eating too much fish as far as toxins?
    Well I’m 73 ( for a few more months). Been eating catfish from Indiana waters my whole life, so not gonna worry about it now.

My only health concerns are my joints and doc can put in a new one at the drop of a hat.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm not sure if a bag limit is a good idea or not. But I wouldn't mind seeing a minimum size restriction. I've seen several people keeping fish that seem too small IMO.
    Not sure what size you're talking about, but my eaters are 14"-20".
    Bigger goes back. The smaller ones definitely taste better and don't have as much fat. This also depends on the fish itself. If it's 16' and skinny I would put it back.

Mostly channels or flatheads here.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not sure what size you're talking about, but my eaters are 14"-20".
    Bigger goes back. The smaller ones definitely taste better and don't have as much fat. This also depends on the fish itself. If it's 16' and skinny I would put it back.

Mostly channels or flatheads here.
    As an example on the morning of July 4th, I was fishing near a boat ramp at Cataract and an older guy set up near us on the bank. He caught probably a half dozen channel cats that couldn't have been a foot long and kept every one of them.
    As for me, I agree a good keeper size is in that 14"-20"ish range. IMO there's a point were they don't taste as good and have more fat on them.

In general, I would prefer to see a daily limit vs a minimum size regulation. Over the years I've seen people get on the bite and would just keep feeling them in an tossing the fish in a Rubber maid tote. They wouldn't stop until it was full or the fish quit biting. I'm certainly not an expert, but I can see where that can take a toll. Especially on smaller fisheries.

Top Bottom