• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I was noodling around on the Brian Enos forum a little bit ago and came across a thread with multiple posts and reposts about how to "unload and show clear." The thread started out with the original poster asking whether it was acceptable to rack the slide and flip the cartridge in the air and catch it. The thread then morphed into a lively discussion about the safe/unsafe action of flipping the cartridge, primer detonation, etc.

I've seen folks "do the flip" and, quite frankly, always kind of thought it was more a way of showing off than safely unloading the firearm. However, I was also once informed by an RO that by holding my left hand over the ejection port and racking the slide to allow the unfired round to fall in my left hand was dangerous as he'd seen someone at their range have the shell detonate and his hand caught the brunt of the discharge.

So, what is the proper ( and safest ) method of unloading and showing clear ? Option One - Keep the hand racking the slide completely away from the ejection port - even to the point of having the unfired round fall to the ground and possibly be lost ? Option Two - Learn to flip the round in the air and catch it. Option Three - ?

My apologies if this has been discussed to death before.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I always catch the round, because, I don't want to be on my hands and knees, looking for 1 live round ..... JMHO .....

Well you wouldn't rack the slide to clear the gun anywhere.
    You would be either at home or at the range.
    So a round "lost" under the bed is not that important. :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was noodling around on the Brian Enos forum a little bit ago and came across a thread with multiple posts and reposts about how to "unload and show clear." The thread started out with the original poster asking whether it was acceptable to rack the slide and flip the cartridge in the air and catch it. The thread then morphed into a lively discussion about the safe/unsafe action of flipping the cartridge, primer detonation, etc.

I've seen folks "do the flip" and, quite frankly, always kind of thought it was more a way of showing off than safely unloading the firearm. However, I was also once informed by an RO that by holding my left hand over the ejection port and racking the slide to allow the unfired round to fall in my left hand was dangerous as he'd seen someone at their range have the shell detonate and his hand caught the brunt of the discharge.

So, what is the proper ( and safest ) method of unloading and showing clear ? Option One - Keep the hand racking the slide completely away from the ejection port - even to the point of having the unfired round fall to the ground and possibly be lost ? Option Two - Learn to flip the round in the air and catch it. Option Three - ?

My apologies if this has been discussed to death before.

Really? Seems far fetched to me. Not saying it didnt happen, but there had to be extenuating circumstances like it wasnt a case of "unload and show clear" but instead was somebody ejecting a round that didnt go "boom" when they pulled the trigger and it delayed until they had it in their hand before it finally ignited. Sounds like somebody was taking safety a bit TOO far by projecting unreasonable fears. Just because one delayed ignition hurt somebody doesnt mean you should NEVER eject a round into your hand. Thats like saying you should never EVER shoot ANY steel because somebody caught shrapnel while shooting too close.

"unload and show clear" into the hand: :yesway: "Why didnt this round go boom?" into the hand: :noway:.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just watched an exceptionally good first time USPSA shooter get DQ'd doing "the flip" this weekend. Too busy catching the round to notice his muzzle pointing at the RO, squad and spectators.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Really? Seems far fetched to me. Not saying it didnt happen, but there had to be extenuating circumstances like it wasnt a case of "unload and show clear" but instead was somebody ejecting a round that didnt go "boom" when they pulled the trigger and it delayed until they had it in their hand before it finally ignited. Sounds like somebody was taking safety a bit TOO far by projecting unreasonable fears. Just because one delayed ignition hurt somebody doesnt mean you should NEVER eject a round into your hand. Thats like saying you should never EVER shoot ANY steel because somebody caught shrapnel while shooting too close.

"unload and show clear" into the hand: :yesway: "Why didnt this round go boom?" into the hand: :noway:.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...57-emptying-your-chamber-how-do-you-do-2.html
    Post # 63.
    (The rest of the thread is quite informative as well. More than one instructor posting golden info.)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Bottom line is you have to do whatever you feel comfortable doing so long as you keep your finger off the trigger, don't break the 180, don't AD, and don't sweep yourself (or anyone else). That's all I care about as an RO.

Losing the round isn't th end of the world, so if you flip and it ejects funny, don't chase it. If you dump into your hand and it rolls funny, don't chase it. Pick it up after range is called clear.

imo, it's more important to clear the round out of the chamber with some authority vs trying to dribble it out. Yes, detonations can happen during unload. IMO, most of these wouldn't happen except someone didn't allow the round to fully clear the chamber or they short stroked the slide. Iow it's less about the method and more about the execution.

Been doing this for many years, incl RO'ing, and have yet to see a detonation at ULSC personally, though I know folks it's happened to. I'm a flip/catcher, though since I switched to Glock, most of them end up on the ground because my glocks ejection pattern sucks. IMO, flip/catch is much safer than the hand over the ejection port method. Other folks feel the reverse is true.

-rvb

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think "Proper method" is whatever maximizes the comfort level of the r.o./s.o. .

My preference on either side of the timer is to slow things down so that everyone's eyes are in the right place to see the process and to wait for the range commands. When I'm re-holstering I also like to pivot my boom boom over toward my holster so that I don't muzzle my leg in the process, it is overkill but I like the notion of not muzzling when I don't need to and it makes better eye candy for the spectators.

A shooting buddy was practicing the bullet flip after a match and dropped his gun in the process. No harm done except we remind him of it now and then :).

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do the flip and i dont care what anyone says. Its not unsafe. If the round doesnt go exactly where i think its going, I let it go and finish showing clear then go find it later. The "problem" with the "flip" is people rack it too hard or something happens and the round goes sailing off into the sky and they chase it not being clear where their gun hand is.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I see many people forget the "show clear" part of the ULSC process.

Remove mag, rack slide, catch bullet if it's convenient, open slide, show the RO an empty chamber. When the RO says "if clear, hammer down, holster" close slide, point gun into berm, pull trigger, holster. When I go to a major match, the last thing I want to do is DQ for something totally preventable.

As an RO, I don't like the "hand over ejection port" method of unloading a firearm. I really don't know why, it just makes me uncomfortable watching people do it.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    This is starting to sound like an enos thread...."see what u need to see"

I think "unload and show clear" is prolly descriptive enough.

Maybe the command should be
    :

Note: All actions except the act of holstering should be performed with firearm pointing downrange

1. Take finger out of trigger guard
    2. Push magazine release button with thumb of shooting hand or finger of support hand
    3. Drop magazine from firearm (this is where u could engage a flip method of magazine grabbing)
    4. Kick magazine aside (this step is optional)
    5. Put hand on slide or slide racker
    6. Pull slide to rear of firearm to remove chambered round
    7. Ensure round is clear from chamber by A. observing round falling to ground or B. flipping round in air to attempt a flip and catch
    8. Move gun to horizontal position while pointing downrange
    9. Show range officer the inside of said empty chamber
    10. Release slide and allow firearm to return to battery
    11. Point firearm into downrange berm of shooting bay
    12. Re-insert index finger into trigger guard
    13. Place first pad of index finger onto trigger
    14. Initiate a progressive amount of force rearward on the trigger in order to drop hammer/striker
    15. Remove index finger from trigger guard
    16. Insert firearm into holster
    17. Stay facing downrange until range officer declares range "clear"

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    btw, while not an official ruling, here is what Amidon had to say re flip/catch....

'The practice is still allowed as being legal, but frowned upon,
    ref: Unload and show clear! - Stage Comments or Questions - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BTW I've had an RO threaten a match DQ at an Area match for doing the flip/catch. messed with my game as I was worried years of habit would get me tossed from the match. I remember doing a ULSC as part of my walkthrough... I don't remember the stage but I remember that, so that couldn't have been good for the performance. Knowing more now, I'd be calling the RM and requesting a new RO. And if that was denied I'd do my flip/catch and immediately hand the RM my c-note for arb...

-rvb

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Oh great, one more thing I have to think about and practice. :)

I haven't really analyzed the process, it just sort of happens. I think it goes like this:

I remove the mag and place in belt holder.
    Pull the slide back into locked position.
    Cartridge goes somewhere. :dunno:
    I extend the firearm and rotate it slightly to the left so I (and the RO) can see the chamber.
    Wait for the "if clear, hammer down and holster" command.
    Release the slide lock.
    Point firearm farther downrange.
    Pull trigger, click not bang.
    Look at holster while returning firearm to holster.
    Scan ground for ejected round.

Usually I find the ejected round but sometimes I lose it. I don't like the idea of leaving a live round on the ground but I am not coordinated enough to catch it and control the muzzle at the same time. Interested in hearing what the preferred method is for "if finished, unload and show clear".

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    btw, while not an official ruling, here is what Amidon had to say re flip/catch....

ref: Unload and show clear! - Stage Comments or Questions - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BTW I've had an RO threaten a match DQ at an Area match for doing the flip/catch. messed with my game as I was worried years of habit would get me tossed from the match. I remember doing a ULSC as part of my walkthrough... I don't remember the stage but I remember that, so that couldn't have been good for the performance. Knowing more now, I'd be calling the RM and requesting a new RO. And if that was denied I'd do my flip/catch and immediately hand the RM my c-note for arb...

-rvb

"The practice is still allowed as being legal, but frowned upon, there have been many detonations when unloading and showing clear, many of them with .40 S&W due to an oversized ejector,"

Hmmm, don't have a clue who Amidon is, based on the assumption that he is a USPSA head honcho and that he has his facts straight in the quote, it seems like making it a no-no would have happened already.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    "The practice is still allowed as being legal, but frowned upon, there have been many detonations when unloading and showing clear, many of them with .40 S&W due to an oversized ejector,"

Hmmm, don't have a clue who Amidon is, based on the assumption that he is a USPSA head honcho and that he has his facts straight in the quote, it seems like making it a no-no would have happened already.

Amidon is [currently] the head of NROI (About NROI - United States Practical Shooting Association). He makes the official rulings you find on uspsa.org. He writes the rule interpretation column in Front Sight. He is in charge of the RO instructors.
    About NROI - United States Practical Shooting Association
    (He is retiring soon and I believe Troy McManus is taking the job.)

Why do you think it would have been banned already if he has his facts straight? If something has a slight chance of being dangerous we should ban it?
    We should ban running because I've seen WAY more injuries from slips/falls....

-rvb

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The flip is not unsafe for seasoned competition shooters. The problem lies in that this bit of "cool" showmanship gets picked up and used by those who have yet to develop proper muzzle discipline.

Top Bottom