• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have any of you handled an estate without an attorney?
    My mother in law passed away last week. My wife is named the executor.
    She paid cash for her home and car and has no creditors besides a couple last minute medical bills and utilities.
    Her house is worth about $100,000 and she has about $100,000 in retirement accounts and/or CD’s.
    I don’t like the way the attorney explained the way he charges. For instance, when asked about his fees he said he normally charges 3 OR 4% of the estate, or $200 per hour, and if his hours are less than 3 OR 4% then “somewhere in between “!
    I didn’t like his explanation.

Her moms estate is very simple and straight forward.
    I don’t think it’s worth spending the money, especially with his explanation. And if we get to a point where we think it’s necessary, we can always hire him (or another lawyer) when that time comes.

Any thoughts?

Attorneys want to weigh in?

Thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would talk to a second lawyer....
    This.

But the way you explained it, the estate seems pretty straightforward. You'd think so long as there is a will and everyone still on this side of the grass is accepting of it, a lay person could close out the estate.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Went thru the same thing recently when my mom passed. Estate fees were $2500 flat fee. There were no siblings or other complications that could have made things harder. I used John Rupp out of Merrillville. I realize he isn’t local but truly he doesn’t need to be. We never even met in person and I am local.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I had a power of attorney from my mom. It was a pain as she had assets (money) scattered all over but eventually I was able to gain control of the money and sell her house. My brother (only sibling) had passed so when all was said and done I gave his sons checks for what my brother would have had.

Funny, I called social security and told them she had passed. The didn't need anything, they just stopped funding her account.

Good luck, it took me a lot of time to get my mom's stuff all resolved.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This.

But the way you explained it, the estate seems pretty straightforward. You'd think so long as there is a will and everyone still on this side of the grass is accepting of it, a lay person could close out the estate.
    That’s the way I see it. I don’t like the idea of paying “somewhere between” the hours and the percentage (which isn’t even a firm number)!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This. There is probably someone there locally who is the trusted home-town guy (or gal) who can take care of simple estates in a reasonable fashion. I don't know who that is, but there always is one.
    Do most attorneys give a flat fee, an hourly rate, and/or a combination?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Went thru the same thing recently when my mom passed. Estate fees were $2500 flat fee. There were no siblings or other complications that could have made things harder. I used John Rupp out of Merrillville. I realize he isn’t local but truly he doesn’t need to be. We never even met in person and I am local.
    That seems reasonable.
    Also this is in southern Indiana, Salem.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I had a power of attorney from my mom. It was a pain as she had assets (money) scattered all over but eventually I was able to gain control of the money and sell her house. My brother (only sibling) had passed so when all was said and done I gave his sons checks for what my brother would have had.

Funny, I called social security and told them she had passed. The didn't need anything, they just stopped funding her account.

Good luck, it took me a lot of time to get my mom's stuff all resolved.
    And you didn’t use an attorney?
    So just go to the courthouse and file to open an estate/probate?

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I will just say this, if you think there might be someone, no matter how remote, that might challenge the will, make sure you have a lawyer. They will save you money in the long run. Been there, done that.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Never opened a probate. My goal was to do this without dealing with any govt. and I succeeded. One big issue was everyone wanted an original copy of the power of attorney. Obviously could not do that.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Probate is the process of retitling you MILs assets.

How should be retitled in name of heirs.
    CDs/Bank Accounts may have had TODs (Transfer on Death) instructions on the accounts. If they did, don't need probate.

Retirement accounts should have had beneficiaries named so don't need probate.

Could be the only thing needed to be probated is the house, and that isn't that hard to retitle.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Never opened a probate. My goal was to do this without dealing with any govt. and I succeeded. One big issue was everyone wanted an original copy of the power of attorney. Obviously could not do that.
    That’s strange as the power of attorney ends when the person dies.
    You don’t have to probate if the probatable estate is under $50,000. Any accounts or property that have a transfer at death provision are not included in probate.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I will just say this, if you think there might be someone, no matter how remote, that might challenge the will, make sure you have a lawyer. They will save you money in the long run. Been there, done that.
    There are no creditors and everything in the estate is to be split evenly between the five kids.
    Simple.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    There are no creditors and everything in the estate is to be split evenly between the five kids.
    Simple.
    Did accounts have beneficiaries listed, like IRAs?

Those transfer outside the will, if there was one. If there wasn't shame on her.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Probate is the process of retitling you MILs assets.

How should be retitled in name of heirs.
    CDs/Bank Accounts may have had TODs (Transfer on Death) instructions on the accounts. If they did, don't need probate.

Retirement accounts should have had beneficiaries named so don't need probate.

Could be the only thing needed to be probated is the house, and that isn't that hard to retitle.
    As far as I know right now,beneficiary on her accounts is her estate (according to my wife).

Top Bottom