• Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    $2500 gets you this in India

77006_450.jpg

Tata has pulled the wraps off its long-discussed and highly-anticipated 1-lakh (around $2,500) car. The orb-like Tata Nano was unveiled at the New Delhi Auto Expo today, boasting a 30-horsepower 624-cc engine; a four-speed manual transmission; a disc/drum brake setup; room for five (based on the above photo); and claimed fuel economy of 54 US miles per gallon. There's no power steering, and you'll find more instrumentation on many wristwatches -- the Nano has only a fuel gauge, speedometer, and oil light. Suspension? Well, it has one. Tata claims that the car meets safety and environmental standards (such as Euro IV emissions compliance), and we're sure it won't be long before tests show whether the car is indeed up to snuff in those areas. Say hello to the new "people's car," brought to you by the same folks who hope to sell you Jaguars in the not-so-distant future. We'd say that if all goes as planned, Tata's got just about every possible demographic covered. Thanks for the tip, RV!

What $2,500 buys in India: Tata Nano unveiled - Autoblog

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Seriously, if they built another car like the Yugo for $5-8k new and I could get 100k trouble free miles, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have been saying for a couple years that the Nano will really revolutionize the industry. Not here in the USA. But you guys HAVE seen the streets of India, right? Families of five on scooters? This is just twice the cost of a scooter? Wouldn't you want to drive your family in one of these instead of a scooter? I would.

Orders already outstrip their ability to make them. I think they are great..

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Well having been to India multiple times. Not to many high speed crashes going on. At least not in the cities. Its more of a convience thing. Its covered transportaion. Small/slow/cheap. But better then the 1960's vans they have right now.

Looks functional for the area.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been saying for a couple years that the Nano will really revolutionize the industry. Not here in the USA. But you guys HAVE seen the streets of India, right? Families of five on scooters? This is just twice the cost of a scooter? Wouldn't you want to drive your family in one of these instead of a scooter? I would.

Orders already outstrip their ability to make them. I think they are great..

I think you're right, this will be good for India.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Hey can I pick one of these up and put it in the saddle bag of my bike in case the bike break down. Oh wait I can always use the cell phone to call for a pick-up and the trailer though!
    Have done many auto-extrications at accidents with the fire department over the past 35 years, this car scares the living $&!& out of me.

Top Bottom