• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Are you required to register in any way to print up political signs before an election? Just curious as you always see the 'paid for by X committee' in the TV ads.

I was considering having some signs printed up against a candidate here locally this fall. I'm not going to raise money, I have some friends at a printing company and was going to pay for them out of my pocket. Any input?

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Good question.

My guess would be that what ever you print needs to be factual and not an opinion.
    Even though it seems politicians can say or print anything they want, I don't think we have the same freedom.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Are you required to register in any way to print up political signs before an election? Just curious as you always see the 'paid for by X committee' in the TV ads.

I was considering having some signs printed up against a candidate here locally this fall. I'm not going to raise money, I have some friends at a printing company and was going to pay for them out of my pocket. Any input?

To JTScribe,

To have this question answered with any degree of accuracy more information must come from you.

Who are you and what do you want to do?

I mean, are you the candidate? Are you working for the candidate? Are you part of a group of any kind that is or will be affiliated with the candidate?

Are you wanting to put up an "issue" sign or a candidate sign?

If you want, on your own, write a sign that says "I love Hillary - Clinton 2016" that is fine, or "Hillary sucks - Change to Republican 2016" that is also fine.

The issue will be, with both State and Federal election filing laws who/what you are supporting/condemning and how to report that.

Is the potential candidate running for State/Local office or is it a Federal race?

I have NOT run or participated in someones campaign in a LONG time and have NOT reviewed lately, but your FIRST step is to form a Committee to Elect Candidate and file the proper paperwork with the local election board.

For anyone who wants to run Prof Andy Downs at IPFW gives a great one (1) day (maybe 2?) class on everything you need to do if you are wanting to run for office.

ANY money you spend on a candidate must be reported, at least as an "in kind" donation, to their Committee IF it goes over $100.

Again, these numbers and rules are off of the top of my head and would need to be confirmed. There are also limits on how much you can spend on certain candidates depending upon the office they are running for.

Regards,

Doug

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it national or state wide or local? Different laws apply.

If it is a presidential, congressional or US senate race, FEC can be a real pain. State and local races have a bit more room. For example one can contribute to a local candidate under $100 and it can be anonymous. But they do want all expenditures filed with the SOS elections division.

My guess is that you will be spending so little that no one will complain.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One would think that a majority of media outlets would be on the hook for all kinds of 'in kind' donations!

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

To JTScribe,

To have this question answered with any degree of accuracy more information must come from you.

Who are you and what do you want to do?

I mean, are you the candidate? Are you working for the candidate? Are you part of a group of any kind that is or will be affiliated with the candidate?

Are you wanting to put up an "issue" sign or a candidate sign?

If you want, on your own, write a sign that says "I love Hillary - Clinton 2016" that is fine, or "Hillary sucks - Change to Republican 2016" that is also fine.

The issue will be, with both State and Federal election filing laws who/what you are supporting/condemning and how to report that.

Is the potential candidate running for State/Local office or is it a Federal race?

I have NOT run or participated in someones campaign in a LONG time and have NOT reviewed lately, but your FIRST step is to form a Committee to Elect Candidate and file the proper paperwork with the local election board.

For anyone who wants to run Prof Andy Downs at IPFW gives a great one (1) day (maybe 2?) class on everything you need to do if you are wanting to run for office.

ANY money you spend on a candidate must be reported, at least as an "in kind" donation, to their Committee IF it goes over $100.

Again, these numbers and rules are off of the top of my head and would need to be confirmed. There are also limits on how much you can spend on certain candidates depending upon the office they are running for.

Regards,

Doug

I'm just a private citizen. Not affiliated with any candidates whatsoever. The candidate in question is the county district attorney. Basically just want to say something like "Vote Out Bill 'Plea Bargain' Nash - He'd rather save a buck than fight for justice."

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm just a private citizen. Not affiliated with any candidates whatsoever. The candidate in question is the county district attorney. Basically just want to say something like "Vote Out Bill 'Plea Bargain' Nash - He'd rather save a buck than fight for justice."

To JTScribe,

As long as you are NOT supporting the other candidate you should be free to attack whomever you wish.

The problem comes from two (2) issues: #1) Are you giving the signs to the opposition? If you are then you should report the cost of the signs to the opposition candidate. #2) Are you coordinating with the opposing candidate? If you are then again that candidate will need the cost of the signs to report as an "in-kind" donation.

From what I am seeing if you want to just do the signs on your own and bash the current office holder - have at! You are not supporting his opponent in any way, simply attacking the current guy.

Also, if you are a Federal or State employee I would refer you to the Hatch Act of 1939. As it was modified in 1993 the rules allow more but you could still suffer significant problems. If such is the case I would refer you to your county election board or the US Office of Special Counsel.

These links will help direct you to more specific information.

http://www.in.gov/sos/elections/files/2012_Campaign_Finance_Manual_11-1-11_version.pdf

Indiana Code 3-5-2

http://www.osc.gov/documents/hatchact/ha_fed.pdf

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug

PS - This information is based upon the premise that the election is local, NOT Federal. The law may be different for those reading this regarding Federal campaigns, so my answer is limited in scope to a local office holder.

PPS - You may need to review some neighborhood codes or local sign ordinances before you put the signs out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What part of "...shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech..." Don't you people understand?

NO LAW! I heard on INGO that the Bill of Rights means what any third grader would read it to mean, no interpretation necessary!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What part of "...shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech..." Don't you people understand?

NO LAW! I heard on INGO that the Bill of Rights means what any third grader would read it to mean, no interpretation necessary!

Does your purple text imply that you don't think this is a violation of free speech?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Does your purple text imply that you don't think this is a violation of free speech?

No. I believe it is. My sarcasm is aimed at those who find these "limitations" just normal for the 1st Amendment, but think there are no limitations on the 2nd.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Very good. You stole what I was going to say. What part of free speech don't people understand?

Its depressing that this question has to be addressed at all.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

To HoughMade,

You think that is bad, I had a friend stationed in Hawaii and there it was ILLEGAL to put out campaign signs in front yards...

It looks "ugly" and was therefore detrimental to tourism! Detrimental to tourism = Illegal!

Not kidding!

How they got away with that I will never understand.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom