• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I just saw the post about private party sales and it spoke about the Facebook groups that have popped up. I'm not sure how long these groups have been around, but everyone should be extremely cautious about these groups. I feel these groups could let folks gather a lot more personal information than just being on INGO. Additionally, every time I read the news and heard about burglars or other serious incidents occurring, I always like to check Facebook. I've found that people I've dealt with are usually acquainted with others dealing with the same issues, namely involvement in the hard drug culture. Recently I looked up two guys who were involved in a burglary down in Johnson County. It was the one where a local LEO was the victim and a nice older car was stolen. Guess what, one of them was a member of one of those Indy Buy-Sell-Trade gun groups. Just because someone may come across as good and law abiding doesn't mean they are. Many people post photos of themselves, their vehicle(s), homes, where they live, etc. on Facebook. Yes, securing your Facebook page is good, but sometimes FB reprograms the website, and privacy options may change and allow people of the same groups you Like being able to view your profile. Just something to keep in mind. I personally don't trust Craigslist (for non-guns) and I would never trust getting involved in a gun transaction on something so open and easily faked as Facebook. At least here on INGO I can see post counts, get a feel for the person, and the person has to really want to seek out a specialized forum, register, then provide fifty posts. All Facebook takes is clicking a "Like" button.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got an account but mostly use it to get news and keep up with a few friends. It's like any other big gathering of people--there's a diagonal slice of humanity on that...and some are scum bags or worse.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I backed out of all of those groups a few months ago. Everything just felt wrong about it. Very sketchy. I still use facebook for family and friends, but I don't deal with the buy/sell gun pages anymore.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I've never had any problems with the Man cave sites or Armslist. I'm confused, do you think these groups are a bad idea?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Well, in all fairness, there is no background check to join INGO either. Although most people here are good, there are no doubt some bad apples on here. I have seen WTS ads that state DL and LTCH must be presented. I have also done numerous transactions on here and never been asked to show my LTCH. Theres always bad apples everywhere.

The MC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Franklin
    Good post. FB changes privacy settings constantly. Users need to make sure to lock down everything possible. Its easy to pull info on someone that doesnt understand or care to button it up.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    If my only goal was to kill somebody I could do that any day of the week.
    For what other reason would you post that you were going to out just to sit in the dark with a shotgun? You could posit this any day of the week I suppose.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I only use mine in a stalker capacity. It's just so easy! I don't have to stand outside windows anymore, they show me pics of everything in the house :) "Purple"

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I've conducted many perfectly legitimate transactions set up through fb, you can, for the most part, tell who the screwballs are before you ever meet them. On fb you can see photos, posts, all kinds of stuff to get an idea of who the person you're dealing with is before you meet them. In many ways you can find out more about them than here on INGO. Sure they can fake a profile, but I always at the minimum check DLs, and if it doesn't match up with what the profile says, I don't have to go through with it. That said, it's never happened to me. That's just been my experience though.

Top Bottom