Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$62.10 for 1000
    Over $149 ships free and no hazmat fee.
    So 3k primers gets free shipping.
    So far I've only had one hard primer. Out of 300 I've fired so far.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

$62.10 for 1000
    Over $149 ships free and no hazmat fee.
    So 3k primers gets free shipping.
    So far I've only had one hard primer. Out of 300 I've fired so far.
    That's a decent price. But I'm not going to take the chance, lol. Let me know how they are after 3000 primers. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I’m really surprised people are still paying $100/1k.

Not everybody. Hardly shooting much at all these days.

I have primers, but not anxious to use them much until we get back to reasonable costs to replace them.

I'm just not doing it. I think there is more to the "primer shortage" than we can see? And I won't support it with my :spend::spend::spend:.

:twocents:

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Wow, I'm a little surprised that Brownells is that high. They get primers factory direct. I get them through a distributor and I'm selling the same thing for $91.59 and I thought MY price was high (I still use the same formula for mark-up that I did when 1,000 primers was $30.85). They are still selling fast, but we are getting more of them at a time now. I've been able to raise the limit to 2,000 per customer on the Winchester #41s and we have had them for a couple weeks now. We have many more cases coming in on the next truck as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wow, I'm a little surprised that Brownells is that high. They get primers factory direct. I get them through a distributor and I'm selling the same thing for $91.59 and I thought MY price was high (I still use the same formula for mark-up that I did when 1,000 primers was $30.85). They are still selling fast, but we are getting more of them at a time now. I've been able to raise the limit to 2,000 per customer on the Winchester #41s and we have had them for a couple weeks now. We have many more cases coming in on the next truck as well.
    Getting more is a good sign. Let's hope it keeps up. Since you are using the same formula, I'm sure you like the increased margin dollars but hopefully as the prices come down you will sell even more and the cash flow will stay the same.

I hope I can get back into reloading by next winter.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Getting more is a good sign. Let's hope it keeps up. Since you are using the same formula, I'm sure you like the increased margin dollars but hopefully as the prices come down you will sell even more and the cash flow will stay the same.

I hope I can get back into reloading by next winter.
    Yes, I'd much rather sell 3 bricks at $30 each than 1 at $90. Everything has gone up over the last few years, just not as much as primers. Bullets, brass and powder have all more or less doubled in price. Primers have tripled or quadrupled.

Theoretically, I should be making more money when prices go up. In practice, it makes doing business a LOT more work and sometimes makes me lose money if I'm not paying enough attention. A year or so ago I sold a vibratory tumbler that I had on the shelf for 4 or 5 months. I sold it for around $60. When I went to reorder the same model, my COST on it was then over $100! The price had doubled in a matter of weeks! We now do a price audit on every manufacturer about once a month to avoid inadvertently selling items below cost. It's shocking how frequent price increases have been. Hodgdon was raising prices every 3 months last year (they just did another increase on January 1st of this year).

When the pandemic began, I was selling Wolf 9mm for $6 per box ($5.61 plus tax). Before that (during the "Trump Slump"), we almost couldn't give it away. We sold out, and I was paying about $6.50 to replace it. Sold it for about $8, then paid nearly $10 to replace it. Sold it for around $15 to try to keep up with the trend and ended up paying pretty much what I sold it for to replace it. This was over the course of about 10 days or so if I remember correctly and it just got worse from there (as I'm sure most of you remember). I have learned to keep my finger on the pulse of the market since then, I can't afford not to...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, I'd much rather sell 3 bricks at $30 each than 1 at $90. Everything has gone up over the last few years, just not as much as primers. Bullets, brass and powder have all more or less doubled in price. Primers have tripled or quadrupled.

Theoretically, I should be making more money when prices go up. In practice, it makes doing business a LOT more work and sometimes makes me lose money if I'm not paying enough attention. A year or so ago I sold a vibratory tumbler that I had on the shelf for 4 or 5 months. I sold it for around $60. When I went to reorder the same model, my COST on it was then over $100! The price had doubled in a matter of weeks! We now do a price audit on every manufacturer about once a month to avoid inadvertently selling items below cost. It's shocking how frequent price increases have been. Hodgdon was raising prices every 3 months last year (they just did another increase on January 1st of this year).

When the pandemic began, I was selling Wolf 9mm for $6 per box ($5.61 plus tax). Before that (during the "Trump Slump"), we almost couldn't give it away. We sold out, and I was paying about $6.50 to replace it. Sold it for about $8, then paid nearly $10 to replace it. Sold it for around $15 to try to keep up with the trend and ended up paying pretty much what I sold it for to replace it. This was over the course of about 10 days or so if I remember correctly and it just got worse from there (as I'm sure most of you remember). I have learned to keep my finger on the pulse of the market since then, I can't afford not to...
    Good work on your part. We are all in business to earn a profit.

Extra work but my workload due to pricing has increased substantially since all this began. I'm in OEM automotive parts sales and typically once a program is sold, that's it. Prices don't change.

But that all changed during Covid. Plastic resin mfrs are changing prices at least quarterly, sometimes more often. Component makers also. And our company has decided that we will no longer absorb the cost so I am constantly working on updating pricing.

And in my industry, it's not unlike the government where you have a lot of "red tape" to deal with. :ugh:

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    The auction house near me had a gun related sale last month. Primers of different size and brands sold from $13 to $21 per pack.
    Dang, the last carton I bought was less than that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

giphy.gif

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Yeah it's been three years of these claims and excuses. Covid and riot panic is years in the rearview mirror. They're making massive bank on current primer prices for no extra manufacturing expense and have no interest in saturating the market and decreasing their own prices. Raw materials... yeah it's been three years, I don't believe them anymore.

This will continue for years and years to come until a new company enters the market and busts the .gov contractor cartel. Simple as that. There is absolutely no appetite in the industry for spending money to decrease their own margins. Not when the market has proven it will pay $100/k for every single primer that touches a shelf.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah it's been three years of these claims and excuses. Covid and riot panic is years in the rearview mirror. They're making massive bank on current primer prices for no extra manufacturing expense and have no interest in saturating the market and decreasing their own prices. Raw materials... yeah it's been three years, I don't believe them anymore.

This will continue for years and years to come until a new company enters the market and busts the .gov contractor cartel. Simple as that. There is absolutely no appetite in the industry for spending money to decrease their own margins. Not when the market has proven it will pay $100/k for every single primer that touches a shelf.
    I tend to agree. I am usually all about capitalism but I'm over these kind of price increases. If folks really want to reload that bad, then good for them.

I'll buy factory stuff and pursue some of my various hobbies with the time saved. Sure, I enjoy reloading but I have other hobbies I enjoy more so its not a loss for me to stop reloading.

And being a pistol shooter, the performance of factory stuff is still beyond my capabilities.

Top Bottom