• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If I was out, I might consider it. I'd just hate to spend a lot of money on them only to find out my striker guns won't ignite the primer.
    I talked to CCI many years ago and he confirmed that SPP and SRP are identical just packaged in different boxes.
    I've used SRP for the last 20+ years for my SPP. I only buy SRP for both. I did pick up some SPP magnum for $50 for 1000 about a year or so ago from an individual on these very forums.
    I have no problems with my Canik TP9 DA, CZ P10F, or the Ruger PCC 9mm's all fire them without any problem. Before that my Ruger American also had no problem.
    I highly doubt you will have any problems with them.

Just don't use LRP for LPP they are different length, and are harder.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    If I was out, I might consider it. I'd just hate to spend a lot of money on them only to find out my striker guns won't ignite the primer.
    I have had no issue using SRP in place of SPP at times, all of my pistols function fine i have striker and hammer pistols of different makes and models. on the 550 it is easier to just run what is in the tube then add the appropriate labeled primers!!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I talked to CCI many years ago and he confirmed that SPP and SRP are identical just packaged in different boxes.
    Dad, the story I heard from CCI (although this was back in 2015) was that the 400 and the 550 were direct equivalents, that the SRP used the same alloy and primer compound as the SPMP

Lately I have heard that they have changed the 400s primer mixture so this is no longer quite true, but they are still substantially similar

Due to SRPs theoretically being designed to withstand higher pressures in rifle cartridges, I would use a 400 in place of a 550or a 500 but not the other way around and I would work up a ladder for any load just as I would for an all new combination

The problematic difference is in gas volume produced by the primer ignition is greater for the 400 and in certain circumstances can begin to unseat the bullet in a straight wall cartridge before it has fully ignited the powder leading to a double spike pressure curve. The primer mixture also burns at a hotter temperature but that doesn't create as much of a difference for the relatively small powder volume of most pistol rounds as it would for a rifle load

I know several competitive shooters who use 400s exclusively in their match loadings (38 super) still with no issues

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Short of constitutional carry passing in 75%+ states, Hearing Protection Act passing and similar legislation which would mean a conservative wave that is dominant and lasting, we will not see primers for under .05-.07 each again.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Short of constitutional carry passing in 75%+ states, Hearing Protection Act passing and similar legislation which would mean a conservative wave that is dominant and lasting, we will not see primers for under .05-.07 each again.
    I can swing that kind of pricing. Sure it's higher than the $0.03 I was paying but in the grand scheme of things it makes my rounds go from $0.11 to $0.15, give or take.

I can still afford the hobby at that rate as it's only about $20 per range visit. What else can you do for $20 on a weekend?

It's when it's looking more like $60/visit where I get heartburn.

Reactions: Leo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think he was saying an extra $20 on top of what he normally would spend.
    He may be right. A typical range session for me these days is between 100-150 rounds. If I am shooting reloads that I loaded for $0.11 each that would be $11-$17 in ammo costs. If my reload price went up to $0.18/round, that same session would be $18-$27.

But for the winter I am loading rounds on a single stage(slow) with the hopes to have enough loaded up by spring to be able to shoot all summer without spending time in the reloading room. I am very busy during the warmer months so time is at a premium. Due to that I am shooting factory stuff so the reality is my range sessions are costing me $33-$50. This is why I said that I could handle $20 range sessions.

I'll just go ahead and say this since a lot of you read me post about money issues. Apologize for the thread drift but I'm sure it will get back on track right away.

I have worked hard raising my two kids on a single income. I have not made a ton of money and I sacrificed a bit to be sure my kids grew up in a decent home in a decent neighborhood and had the opportunities to pursue sports, music, etc. Something I didn't have when I was growing up. I own one car, a 2010 Ford Fusion with over 100K miles( I do drive a company car). I don't have a 4 wheeler, motorcycle, boat, hot rod or a big gun collection. I live in a modest house. I cut costs wherever I can. We don't take expensive vacations. Our vacations are to visit family.

Working with what I have, I realized that if I wanted to enjoy shooting I had to do it on a budget. So I consolidated calibers early on. Sure I like the big hole that a .45 has but for my purposes 9 MM is fine. I don't own Staccatos, fancy CZ's and the like. I have a simple M&P 2.0 Compact that I bought for under $400 and I have a 1911 in 9 mm that I have had for a very long time. I actually credit myself for starting the 1911 9 mm trend! :) So I work with what I have.

Here is what I do have: I have a family that is well rounded, standing on their own, actually doing better than I was and they are contributing to the betterment of society. Both of my kids have great jobs and do well in their organizations.( One is in the Space Force, the other the president of the CenterPoint Energy Foundation)

I have a decent home with a lot of equity. When I retire I should be able to sell it and pay cash for my retirement home. My retirement fund, though not where the "experts" say it should be, is well into the top 10% of baby boomers so I will be okay.

I am healthy. I am 62 years old not, good blood pressure, low bad cholesterol, high good cholesterol, so far away from diabetes potential it made my doctor laugh, on zero pharmaceutical drugs, single digit bodyfat and I can still run, jump, lift, carry sheets of drywall, etc. My blood work numbers since the late 80's are basically the same. Mentally I am content where I am in life.

I wouldn't trade all the "stuff" in the world for who and what I am today.

Oh, am I really am a nice guy though it doesn't always come across here, lol. I'm no Shakespeare! Back to finding primers!;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Or was he saying his reloads cost him $20 worth of components for a range trip? I'm sure brass not included
    Correct. Brass not included. I'm not sure how to figure the cost of the brass. I shoot factory ammo, pick up that brass to reload. Plus I pick up my reloaded brass and reload it until the case splits. Then if I do a class, I stay behind at the end and pick up brass.

I have found at classes that most of the shooters don't reload and usually the instructor/range lets me pick up the brass. I have done a class, sent a few hundred rounds downrange for the class and picked up 600 pieces of brass at the end of the weekend.

How would I compute that?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Correct. Brass not included. I'm not sure how to figure the cost of the brass. I shoot factory ammo, pick up that brass to reload. Plus I pick up my reloaded brass and reload it until the case splits. Then if I do a class, I stay behind at the end and pick up brass.

I have found at classes that most of the shooters don't reload and usually the instructor/range lets me pick up the brass. I have done a class, sent a few hundred rounds downrange for the class and picked up 600 pieces of brass at the end of the weekend.

How would I compute that?
    I wouldn't even worry about it. if your brass is pick up. Not worth the effort. 9mm brass lasts a very long time too.
    When I was first taking my youngest son to the range we weren't reloaders (yet) he would fill his pockets and anything else he could find with left behind brass. I would say leave it we don't reload. He said someday we might. Long story short when I bought my first press and came home with it he got a huge smile. Came out from under his bed with a cardboard box with what had to be a hundred pounds of mixed brass...He's a good boy;)
    Now back to primers........

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    American Reloading has SPP, $520 shipped w/hazmat for 5k

Russian non corrosive boxer

This is the same primer I bought on a group buy last year. I have had a couple light primer strikes but at the same time I had a couple on some factory rounds so I think it was the gun.

$520 is hard to take when I paid $150 12 months ago. I'l think on this for a bit. Thanks for the update!

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    This is the same primer I bought on a group buy last year. I have had a couple light primer strikes but at the same time I had a couple on some factory rounds so I think it was the gun.

$520 is hard to take when I paid $150 12 months ago. I'l think on this for a bit. Thanks for the update!
    Good to hear some sort of feedback on them, hate buying something I know nothing about. I am not planning to buy any of these at this time. I am ok on spp at the moment, that doesn't mean I will pass up a deal if one comes along though ;)

Top Bottom