• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm not leaving my library, my stores, my guns and ammo. There will be a lot of bodies before I go. Then again I'm not urban so much as suburban and have a few acres to play with. Even so, I'm not running; I'm fighting.

Also, if you're thinking about a bug out bag and you're not thinking 75lb or greater you're way light.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm not leaving my library, my stores, my guns and ammo. There will be a lot of bodies before I go. Then again I'm not urban so much as suburban and have a few acres to play with. Even so, I'm not running; I'm fighting.

Also, if you're thinking about a bug out bag and you're not thinking 75lb or greater you're way light.
    Well, with where you are, doesnt sound as if you are in very tight quarters and need to find a safe place.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ... and THESE are the "good guys" now there are no police. Do you think you are TRUELY prepared for SHTF, because you ain't seen nuthin yet.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    A lot of good points being brought up here a couple things I could add

If you are not planning to immediately abandon your residence and get out of the urban area. Things I would be prepping or having a plan for:

Food: having as much as you can on hand to delay your need to leave your residence for as long as possible especially during the initial breakdown avoids putting yourself at risk unnecessarily.

Water: if you see things going south ahead of time like on the news, out your window etc. Id be filling every water container I could while the grids still up and the water is clean, like the bathtub and what not. Having a water key would be good too for the inevitable need to head out a get more water. Despite loss of power there should be plenty of water charged in lines around the city that can be accessed with the right tools. On that note the more water you can bring back per trip the less you have to leave the safety of your home. I have an alice pack frame with a cargo shelf and several scepter 5 gallon water jugs. You can strap one to the frame and carry it like a pack. 5 Gallons at a time on foot more it you have a vehicle. If you aren't following Cana Provisions id look at their social media for all things water gathering/purification.

Security: If your staying put and you think your structure could be target for looting or general mischief, take steps to make it a harder target. You'll want to be able to defend your home from outside threats.

And the above comment about discretion is a good one. If you have a gun, get a suppressor no matter if its a handgun or rifle or pdw. If your out and about and things go sideways a suppressed gun shot 2 blocks over from a group of looters, fallout 3 raiders or UN troops may still be heard but it might not sound like a gunshot and its going to be a lot harder to pin point your position allowing you some extra time to vacate the area before inquiring folks come looking. To add to this, if Night vision is within reach financially also consider that. A lot of your movement can and should be done under cover of darkness and being able to navigate without the use of white light is extremely important. It would also be beneficial in the security of your residence, if you have a generator going with lights on while everything else is dark around you, you may be drawing un needed attention.

Dont plan on help from any government agency because if have learned anything from the last several years the ability of the government, federal, state or local, to be of any use in such situations is steadily declining.

Last edited:

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A lot of good points being brought up here a couple things I could add

If you are not planning to immediately abandon your residence and get out of the urban area. Things I would be prepping or having a plan for:

Food: having as much as you can on hand to delay your need to leave your residence for as long as possible especially during the initial breakdown avoids putting yourself at risk unnecessarily.

Water: if you see things going south ahead of time like on the news, out your window etc. Id be filling every water container I could while the grids still up and the water is clean, like the bathtub and what not. Having a water key would be good too for the inevitable need to head out a get more water. Despite loss of power there should be plenty of water charged in lines around the city that can be accessed with the right tools. On that note the more water you can bring back per trip the less you have to leave the safety of your home. I have an alice pack frame with a cargo shelf and several scepter 5 gallon water jugs. You can strap one to the frame and carry it like a pack. 5 Gallons at a time on foot more it you have a vehicle. If you aren't following Cana Provisions id look at their social media for all things water gathering/purification.

Security: If your staying put and you think your structure could be target for looting or general mischief, take steps to make it a harder target. You'll want to be able to defend your home from outside threats.

And the above comment about discretion is a good one. If you have a gun, get a suppressor no matter if its a handgun or rifle or pdw. If your out and about and things go sideways a suppressed gun shot 2 blocks over from a group of looters, fallout 3 raiders or UN troops may still be heard but it might not sound like a gunshot and its going to be a lot harder to pin point your position allowing you some extra time to vacate the area before inquiring folks come looking. To add to this, if Night vision is within reach financially also consider that. A lot of your movement can and should be done under cover of darkness and being able to navigate without the use of white light is extremely important. It would also be beneficial in the security of your residence, if you have a generator going with lights on while everything else is dark around you, you may be drawing un needed attention.

Dont plan on help from any government agency because if have learned anything from the last several years the ability of the government, federal, state or local, to be of any use in such situations is steadily declining.
    What is your opinion on "budget" night vision such as the NVG 30 or Nightfox Prowl? Is it better to have some capability in the short term (albeit limited) rather than nothing at all, or should one just save for the real deal?

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    What is your opinion on "budget" night vision such as the NVG 30 or Nightfox Prowl? Is it better to have some capability in the short term (albeit limited) rather than nothing at all, or should one just save for the real deal?

Digital Nightvision is getting better but I dont think its there yet for something like a helmet mounted option for navigation or use with a firearm due to the "lag". Digital night vision also really needs supplemental IR light to perform in dark environments where analog doesn't. If giving off IR light is not a concern for you then I think digital options are decent for static viewing.

That being said PVS-7s aren't quite as bad as people say they are and can be had for 1200 if you look hard enough. PVS14s can be had for under 2k with omni contract tubes if you hit the buy/sell Facebook groups, they do pop up from time to time. I think holding out for a low end analog device like the 7 or 14 is the best "budget" option in the long run. I don't think the digital budget options are worth it over saving a little more or selling off un-used gear to make up the difference.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    alternatively you can go on ebay, buy a pvs 14 parts kit for about 700 and then hit facebook NV groups. Ive seen omni tubes with some nasty blems but totally useable sell for 700-800.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    What about good SHTF GMRS radios? Any recommendations?
    The baoefeng UV5R can transmit on GMRS channels and you can buy a GMRS band specific antenna for them from nagoya that does pretty well. Obviously against the FCCs wishes but you said SHTF. Cant beat them for the price if your trying to outfit multiple people.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Some observations I've made from being stuck in the hood:

-Water is a big problem. Nobody has wells. Nearest surface water is five blocks away. Purification is still important but dealing with no water service is gonna be a huge suck.

-No wood fires. No wood, really, unless you take buildings apart. Prioritize ready to eat food or expect to stack a lot of gas bottles.

-Lots of shelter, so it might not be necessary to tote a whole wilderness camp setup around when most of the time you can probably find somewhere out of the wind and rain.

-City is dark as hell without electricity. Even in the daylight, you're only a doorway away from full dark. You need lights and ideally NV.

-Pistols, PCCs, PDWs, and concealed vests are probably more useful than rifles. Observe that the bangers prefer concealable weapons that deliver volume of fire and deploy quick. Your best defense is concealment of your offense.

-Bikes are handy, quiet, and common. Most people don't look twice at a guy on a bike. In congested streets you'd be surprised how fast you can cover ground on two wheels.
    Sanitation will probably kill more in the cities than bullets. It will not take long for all water sources above ground to become sewers. When 500k+ people need to drink and crap and it does not go anywhere....yea.
    That alone is a reason to get out, and far out. My septic does not need power, just water and with a well and creek on my property water is one thing I have few worries about(worst case I walk half a mile north through woods to a small lake).
    Unless you are a predator(of other humans)that can organize I doubt anyone survives long in a city. If disease does not kill them, lack of resources does not kill them, likely other humans will.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sanitation will probably kill more in the cities than bullets. It will not take long for all water sources above ground to become sewers. When 500k+ people need to drink and crap and it does not go anywhere....yea.
    That alone is a reason to get out, and far out. My septic does not need power, just water and with a well and creek on my property water is one thing I have few worries about(worst case I walk half a mile north through woods to a small lake).
    Unless you are a predator(of other humans)that can organize I doubt anyone survives long in a city. If disease does not kill them, lack of resources does not kill them, likely other humans will.
    Well it hasn't killed them ALL in Haiti yet.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well it hasn't killed them ALL in Haiti yet.
    Forty percent of the Haitian population is under 15 years old, and only 5% is over 65. Median age of 22(up from 19 in 1998). 219 murders per 100k(2023).

They still have electricity. Most systems still function. The taps still have water,septic systems work. They may be in a civil war but most things still function.

The disaster I am talking about is a lack of electricity. That happens and cities are disease death traps and almost unsurvivable.

Top Bottom