• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    OK, when we think about prepping, we normally think about bugging out to a different and safer location. Or having to trek miles with only with our BOB on our backs. That is all well and good. But what if that is not an option due to age, health, or physical inability (Be honest with yourself, could you walk 12-15 miles a day carrying a 40+ lb backpack. Try it for 3 days and see how far you actually get.)? During the 1st few weeks of a SHTF event, you may have no choice but to hunker down in place. After that, you will most likely have no choice but to start scavenging from local resources. These could be offices, schools, homes, stores, or buildings that have been abandoned. Your bag will need to carry some different tools such as a pry bar, bolt cutters, 3 lb sledge hammer, hatchet, flashlights or head lamps, gloves, duct tape, empty bags (for your "finds"), paracord, large markers, extra ammo (you will want to be armed when you are out and about), and such things. Your multitool and compass and not going to get the job done in this scenario. I know this is not the typical survival train of thought, but I assure you, it is quite realistic.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments on the matter.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK, when we think about prepping, we normally think about bugging out to a different and safer location. Or having to trek miles with only with our BOB on our backs. That is all well and good. But what if that is not an option due to age, health, or physical inability (Be honest with yourself, could you walk 12-15 miles a day carrying a 40+ lb backpack. Try it for 3 days and see how far you actually get.)? During the 1st few weeks of a SHTF event, you may have no choice but to hunker down in place. After that, you will most likely have no choice but to start scavenging from local resources. These could be offices, homes, stores, or buildings that have been abandoned. Your bag will need to carry some different tools such as a pry bar, bolt cutters, 3 lb sledge hammer, hatchet, flashlights or head lamps, gloves, duct tape, empty bags (for your "finds"), paracord, large markers, extra ammo (you will want to be armed when you are out and about), and such things. Your multitool and compass and not going to get the job done in this scenario. I know this is not the typical survival train of thought, but I assure you, it is quite realistic.

I do realize you specify “urban”. So, just one other thought. Maybe pre- position tools, supplies, with a trusted rural confidant and up fit an escape vehicle with needed supplies to move yourself and loved ones to a safer environment. Just a passing thought.

And your thoughts on “normal “ and “bugging out” are truly an urban train of thought. Gonna be a lot of others with the same mind set. Couple days without food water and electricity will move a lot of people. FEMA ain’t gonna get the job done. Especially if the scale is nationwide.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Urban your SOL.

Your best bet is move rural while you can, some of us already have...
    Or know somebody on the outs and have a specific plan to meet..in and out without screwing around. By this is mean like you see in alot of movies..you have a pet that gets away and you go looking for it...leave it!!! You know the end results of screwing around with time. In a plan like this, you only need such food as maybe a box of crackers, water and your firearm/ammo. Enough to get you to the meetup. No extra weight and you can move quickly.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think this urban perspective is important to consider in depth and why having good relationships with your neighbors could be a big benefit. If you can present a united front and defend for a short period of time and "weather" the initial storm, you could have a better opportunity to bug out, if bugging out immediately isn't an option.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Some observations I've made from being stuck in the hood:

-Water is a big problem. Nobody has wells. Nearest surface water is five blocks away. Purification is still important but dealing with no water service is gonna be a huge suck.

-No wood fires. No wood, really, unless you take buildings apart. Prioritize ready to eat food or expect to stack a lot of gas bottles.

-Lots of shelter, so it might not be necessary to tote a whole wilderness camp setup around when most of the time you can probably find somewhere out of the wind and rain.

-City is dark as hell without electricity. Even in the daylight, you're only a doorway away from full dark. You need lights and ideally NV.

-Pistols, PCCs, PDWs, and concealed vests are probably more useful than rifles. Observe that the bangers prefer concealable weapons that deliver volume of fire and deploy quick. Your best defense is concealment of your offense.

-Bikes are handy, quiet, and common. Most people don't look twice at a guy on a bike. In congested streets you'd be surprised how fast you can cover ground on two wheels.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'll probably just have a BIB...Bug in Bag, I'm too fat, as Steve states, to actually "bug out" So I'll just try, as well as possible, to defend my home, and work with neighbors..
    The older I get, combined with meds, c-pap, etc, I think my TEOWAWKI strategy is to sit in a comfortable recliner facing the front door with stacks of mags and an AK in each hand.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I think this urban perspective is important to consider in depth and why having good relationships with your neighbors could be a big benefit. If you can present a united front and defend for a short period of time and "weather" the initial storm, you could have a better opportunity to bug out, if bugging out immediately isn't an option.
    I would opt to think that thinking a good neighbor is idea, but in a city setting, necessity items are so very much more minimal or scarse because, well, people basically live on top of each other. Too many people and not enough provisions which in turn will turn into "everyone for themselves" scenario.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would opt to think that thinking a good neighbor is idea, but in a city setting, necessity items are so very much more minimal or scarse because, well, people basically live on top of each other. Too many people and not enough provisions which in turn will turn into "everyone for themselves" scenario.
    Absolutely true. You never really know someone.. add desperation and scarcity and you could easily devolve in to everyone for themselves, quickly. The hope is that those neighbors prepare the same in the same ways and understand that there's strength in numbers, but that's hope.. not reality.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Absolutely true. You never really know someone.. add desperation and scarcity and you could easily devolve in to everyone for themselves, quickly. The hope is that those neighbors prepare the same in the same ways and understand that there's strength in numbers, but that's hope.. not reality.
    I think also as you..those with similar supplies would stick with you since there wouldn't be a fight over possessions but then again 1 runs out of supplies before the other and your back to the beginning or you try to combine supplies and 1 or the other wants to control everything...so would it really work for long periods of time?

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, when we think about prepping, we normally think about bugging out to a different and safer location. Or having to trek miles with only with our BOB on our backs. That is all well and good. But what if that is not an option due to age, health, or physical inability (Be honest with yourself, could you walk 12-15 miles a day carrying a 40+ lb backpack. Try it for 3 days and see how far you actually get.)? During the 1st few weeks of a SHTF event, you may have no choice but to hunker down in place. After that, you will most likely have no choice but to start scavenging from local resources. These could be offices, schools, homes, stores, or buildings that have been abandoned. Your bag will need to carry some different tools such as a pry bar, bolt cutters, 3 lb sledge hammer, hatchet, flashlights or head lamps, gloves, duct tape, empty bags (for your "finds"), paracord, large markers, extra ammo (you will want to be armed when you are out and about), and such things. Your multitool and compass and not going to get the job done in this scenario. I know this is not the typical survival train of thought, but I assure you, it is quite realistic.

Look at what is happening in and to the cities of Haiti.

Plan for THAT.

If you don't know my phone number NOW, you won't be welcome here once SHTF starts. Plan to stay where you LIVE now.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Really, unless you have a posse you will not last long. It is good to prep for up to 3 weeks for regular disasters like power outage in winter but if the SHTF one or two people will not last long against a mob.

Top Bottom