Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Emergency Room
    then 3 days in Intensive Care
    2 more in a regular room.

I need to make appointments with 3 docs or so.
    And in 6 weeks I need to get scoped... from BOTH ends.

At the same time? Do they just have two robots reach in until they shake hands somewhere in your upper intestines?

Yikes dude.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just saw this so, first best wishes, prayers, and while not a hippie but hippie adjacent enough to offer positive energy.

Fortunately I've got the constitution of a horse, but know my limits and how far to push without mental collapse/public nudity/several paragraphs in the police blotter. I'm taking care to make it through the whole thing intact and I love this little man, and will be by his side until we get to take him home. I won't be leaving. They are going to have to drag me out if they want me gone.ready for dad duty with all 4 kiddos.

Not no, not hell no, not no ****ing way. Not quite sure what comes past that, but that to.

You may think you know, and you may actually know. But right now you have a whole team of professional, trained, caring and experienced staff at your child's disposal. Use them. Trust me when I say there isn't a damn thing you can do that they can't do better. ETA You are/have been a medic. What advice would you give to someone else in your situation?

Take care of yourself or you won't be worth a **** when they come home. Your wife, newest and the rest of your kids are going to need you at your best. If you don't take care of you, you won't be able to take care of them. Yes I understand it's hard, I've struggled with it (not exact same situation), and saw trained professionals struggle with it. Struggle with it but do it, go home take a shower. Catch a couple hours of zzzz's in your own bed. Etc.

So yeah, things are great. Thanks again to everyone for the support and stories. I've actually felt more prepared and confident throughout, and that can't hurt.

Thanks much for the update.

Glad all is well. Just a suggestion: take care of the nurses. When my wife was in the hospital, I took in a bowl of fruit and some cookies to the nurse's station designated for each the shifts once. Since they are grab and go a lot of times (and let's face it, there is an emotional component to that job), this is huge for morale.
    Who knows, maybe lil mister gets a little extra attention. ;)

And this. After my daughter was born, the nurses watched me walking in with balloons and a box of chocolates. They were grinning, the grins disappeared and turned into looks of WTF when my wife and I came walking out with the same. The WTF look changed to smiles like you wouldn't believe when we gave them to them as a thank you for what they had done/were doing.

And I can't say for sure, but I'd bet no, the little Mr ain't gonna get any extra attention. The staff who work in peds/nicu are something special. It doesn't matter if the parents are angels or demons, that baby is going to get the exact same care. There are much easier/less heartbreaking jobs in the hospital if they choose to do it. To pick that, well I couldn't do it, and I know nurses who couldn't either. And they admit it.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I was thinking about the OP just yesterday. He is a stellar person with a lovely wife and beautiful family. I need to reach out.

Please do reach out and let us know. I've met Brad once and he's an absolute blast to to shoot the s**t with!
    I pray all is well as i have not seen him post in the nwi forum in quite some time either.
    And if op is reading, we've still got you and your family in our prayers!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please do reach out and let us know. I've met Brad once and he's an absolute blast to to shoot the s**t with!
    I pray all is well as i have not seen him post in the nwi forum in quite some time either.
    And if op is reading, we've still got you and your family in our prayers!!!

He was literally out of the country for a long time. I will look and see if I still have his info when I get my phone back from the terrorists.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    He was literally out of the country for a long time. I will look and see if I still have his info when I get my phone back from the terrorists.

Yeah. Mexico. I met him i believe the day or day after they got back to the area. Man the stories were phenomenal. A quick meet and buy turned into at least an hour of bsn!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah. Mexico. I met him i believe the day or day after they got back to the area. Man the stories were phenomenal. A quick meet and buy turned into at least an hour of bsn!

He came down here with his family and bought my daughters Lincoln Navigator. Same deal. Great people. He said he still had the Navi last we spoke.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I swear I was just thinking about him yesterday too. I hope everything is OK. I was thinking about a deal we made at the Schererville Walmart. A shotgun may have changed hands, but I don't remember the details.

Top Bottom