• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    My 1911 is ready for some love. It was just a frame when i started it 5 years ago and its been my favorite ever since. The frame is a world war 2 rand frame. The slide is world war 2 colt but when i bought it the slide had been dovetailed on the rear to install a target peephole sight. The owner changed his mind and sold it to me.

i threw the least exspensive sight on it i could find and continued. My parts gun is the most reliable auto ive ever owned and the bullets go where i tell them to. Now that christmas shopping is over and i have a little spare change in my pocket id like to give my gun the attention it deserves.

Im looking for a new set of sights. Id like to go with a tritium front sight of some sort but i dont want it to be so big that i cant use my sights at longer distances.

my questions are,
    1. What kind of cost am i looking at for milling my front sight, how long will they need my gun?
    2. Is tritium dumb?? Does a bright green fiber optic make more sense? They're definitly different price-wise.
    3. What are the pros running? What works?
    4. My barrel is also ww2 Era should i buy a new one to maximize consistency in tandum with the new sights?

im sure this thread exists somewhere. What other upgrades should i look at?
    I love my parts gun 1911 id just like to spruce it up a bit.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    This is all stuff I do, my question is, what kind of dovetail is cut in the rear? Getting a correct height front sight ro match a straight through do dovetail in the rear is doable but would be best if both front and rear were of a matching style. Something like Novak or even Bomar style if you wanted adjustable, but Novak would be cheaper than adjustable.

Just thinking of what would be best in the long run. I find tritium a little easier to find the top of the sight for accuracy and fiber optic for speed. Either works to e with enough practice

Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss options and cost. A pic of the rear dovetail would help to.

A new barrel and bushing sure wouldn't hurt

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have become really fond of the Heinie straight 8 night sight configuration. My 9mm commander and .45 carry-comp both wear these and I find them easy to use as well as easy to align for range use.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    This is a link to a picture of the rear sight. Im not certain of dimensions.

http://i68.tinypic.com/mcdq41.jpg

Im doing a little reasearch right now. Trying to find out whats popular.

The barrel to bushing fit feels pretty good but if i decide to go ahead and get work done id love to have it looked at by a pro.

i may also be interested in a new beavertail safety with the bump as opposed to the smooth GI set up..

i guess my request for new sights could turn into a full overhaul very fast.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I have become really fond of the Heinie straight 8 night sight configuration. My 9mm commander and .45 carry-comp both wear these and I find them easy to use as well as easy to align for range use.

I had this set up on a shield. I liked them just ok during the day time. To hard to pick up the front sight

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Novak front and rear would be what I would do. Warren Tactical or Dawson Precision both make nice sights. AllenM would be the one I'd go to for the work. He's about to give my 1970's Colt some new sights and a cerakote job.

jescott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am redoing a Colt Combat Commander and I am looking for someone to mill slots in the slide for some nicer sights. It looks like AllenM might be someone to talk with about this. I do not have the required 50 post to PM AllenM so if someone could assist me in making that connection or if AllenM would PM me that would be very much appreciated.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am redoing a Colt Combat Commander and I am looking for someone to mill slots in the slide for some nicer sights. It looks like AllenM might be someone to talk with about this. I do not have the required 50 post to PM AllenM so if someone could assist me in making that connection or if AllenM would PM me that would be very much appreciated.

He is a personal friend of mine. You can text him at 317 833 4087.
    My mill is down right now though, but hopefully back up soon

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Back in 2018, I was into Trijicon HDs. Now, I prefer the Night Fision HD style, so no real change other than having great quality options for much less money

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom