• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I've shot all my life. Been decent enough with everything. Now that I've gotten old (63), I'm having a hard time when shooting a long gun. I need help in reducing the effect my heartbeat has while aiming. I've tried breath control, extending time between shots, everything I can think of. I'm shooting off of a solid rest and with a 4-16 X scope.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    In Highpower competition they teach you to let the shot be a surprise, in other words you are not consciously making the trigger break. Now, apply that to using your heartbeat to break the trigger. If you're doing all the other parts like firm hold, don't move, exhale and hold, the crosshair will move between two points consistently with each beat of your heart. If you make the x-ring the point that coincides with the beat, you're half way to solving this problem. The other half is to slow down your trigger pull so that the beat of your heart is what breaks the shot.

A lot of things are happening when a shot goes off. Small groups come from controlling all those things the same way every time. I read your post and thought about my situation, mine is in the 80s and has affected my LR shooting for years. The method above is how I coped with heartbeat moving the crosshair. Good luck.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Completely agree with @indyjohn states here, to add to this, the weight of the trigger could be brought down to assist in the surprise and heartbeat method of pulling.

Top Bottom