• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I am kicking around the idea of getting a precision rifle for my next purchase. I would like a gun that can reliably shoot 1 MOA or better without too much trouble. It also needs to be reasonably light, meaning I can use it to hunt from my deer stand. I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS. It seems okay for my purposes, but I have no experience with it. Anybody here have actual first hand experience with one? Is it worth it , or should I look at something else? Oh also 308 is the caliber I am wanting. The price seems right and I would like to stay in this price range.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I am kicking around the idea of getting a precision rifle for my next purchase. I would like a gun that can reliably shoot 1 MOA or better without too much trouble. It also needs to be reasonably light, meaning I can use it to hunt from my deer stand. I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS. It seems okay for my purposes, but I have no experience with it. Anybody here have actual first hand experience with one? Is it worth it , or should I look at something else? Oh also 308 is the caliber I am wanting. The price seems right and I would like to stay in this price range.

I'm partial to Savage 10/11/12 series rifles. There are TONS of aftermarket parts/accessories for them and they're excellent shooting rifles. They are also EXTREMLEY easy to work on. And if you want to change barrels, the barrel nut system can't be beat.

I also had extremely good luck with Thompson Center Encore rifles. The 308 I had in the TC Encore easily shot 1 MOA or better. It was a light rifle and the price couldn't be beat.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

If I looking for a rifle in that 800-900 dollar price range, it would be a Bergara. If not the Bergara it would be a Tikka.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    If I looking for a rifle in that 800-900 dollar price range, it would be a Bergara. If not the Bergara it would be a Tikka.
    I have a tikka t3x stainless light in 308. Super accurate. With no work at all, o am getting .75 inch groups. I have considered a tikka CTR, they are within reach ish. The Remington is cheaper and has a ton of aftermarket support. I have had, and still have a savage rifle. I agree they are accurate. Not ruling them out. I want something that can shoot great groups k but do it for more than three shots without cooling down.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a tikka t3x stainless light in 308. Super accurate. With no work at all, o am getting .75 inch groups. I have considered a tikka CTR, they are within reach ish. The Remington is cheaper and has a ton of aftermarket support. I have had, and still have a savage rifle. I agree they are accurate. Not ruling them out. I want something that can shoot great groups k but do it for more than three shots without cooling down.
    IMO, the Sako S20 is about the same price as the CTR and is a nicer rifle. It also has the benefit of being able to swap from a precision style stock to a thumbhole stock which you can often get free with a rebate. If you want a Remington 700, Bergara makes a better one. The Remington, while cheaper to begin with, will likely cost you more in the long run.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022

If you're wanting to take more than 3 shots without heating up the barrel, then you're gonna need something with a heavier barrel, which the Rem SPS has. Your best selection in heavy barrels in that price range is going to be Savage or Remington. Or build a heavy barrel LR-308. If you wanna go real long range precision, the check book will need to open up...

Personally, if I were wanting what you're describing, I would buy a Savage action, get a Criterion barrel (or something comparable), then buy a Boyds stock and bed the action.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    One of my best friends has a pair of SPS's, 223 and 308.
    The 308 is the more accurate of the two. Both have 4-32 Nightforce optics mounted in Talley detachable mounts. With tailored handloads both meet your accuracy requirements most of the time.
    Your $ desire is not in the picture.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You want precision but want it light enough to hunt with AND take more than 3 shots without throwing shots? You're gonna have to pick one or the other. There's a reason hunting rifles are lightweight and have sporter profile barrels.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Bergara HMR is the best bang for the buck I.M.O.
    If you can shoot 1moa it can.
    Bergera is a good choice too. OP chose wisely. Not only do Bergaras shoot well but they're a 700 footprint so the world of aftermarket is your Easter basket. The Tikka will shoot just as well but their actions are hands down the best from any mass produced rifle. Their action rivals most of the custom actions.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Haven’t had a ton of time with it yet, deer season, but my first shots using Hornady factory ammo was a three shot 1/2 group. I need to get a picture of the target to prove it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You want precision but want it light enough to hunt with AND take more than 3 shots without throwing shots? You're gonna have to pick one or the other. There's a reason hunting rifles are lightweight and have sporter profile barrels.
    FWIW I have had a few 700's. All sporter models.
    All but one stayed under 1 moa at 100 for 5 shots. But they all had bedding/stock work and shot handloads.
    The one that didn't, was not bedded. It shot 1.2 and was a 7 mag going full tilt.

Current .243 700 ADL does .75 w factory ammo. But it had stock work done, and a FP/shroud change.
    It then got an HS stock. Dunno if that improved it over the orig Tupperware I bedded. Haven't reloaded for it yet to see how
    good it could be. At .75 I'm not exactly driven to LOL For a yote rifle that's good enough IMHO.

Top Bottom