Pre-ban/Imported Romanian Speznas AK47 worth any more?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I bought one a while back, just found out what it is for certain. Just wondering if it's worth any more than the standard imported Romanian AK. I can't find much on searches other than info pages that tell what it is. This one has a welded flash-"enhancer" to get it up to 16". The reason I say "enhancer" is because I finally shot it last night, and WOW, talk about muzzle flash. It's like a 4 pointed star at least 12" out each port of the muzzle attachment. I was going to sell it to my brother, but I decided after seeing the muzzle flash that I might just have to keep it.

BTW, I bumped off a whole 75 rd drum through it... it was impressive to say the least.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why would you want to keep a weapon with muzzle flash?

Anywho, I know the few Hungarians that got in before '89 are worth a bunch. How many Romanians came in before '89? I do not remember any Romanians that any came in then (no jokes about Kirk's age). BTW, what the heck is a "Spezna"? Are you certain this isn't one of those Century Arms parts guns that they make with drunken crack-baby monkeys?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Why would you want to keep a weapon with muzzle flash?

Anywho, I know the few Hungarians that got in before '89 are worth a bunch. How many Romanians came in before '89? I do not remember any Romanians that any came in then (no jokes about Kirk's age). BTW, what the heck is a "Spezna"? Are you certain this isn't one of those Century Arms parts guns that they make with drunken crack-baby monkeys?
    It is a century, but it clearly says "Imported by CA" then it says their location.

Speznas was the short version, like the Romanian version of a Krink. The piston is slightly shorter and the gas block is integral to the front sight, and the barrel doesn't extend past the front sight (except the small threaded part of it). It looks exactly like the bottom left gun in the below photo except it has a welded muzzle attachment.

Well, dang, it seems the photo won't copy over right... not sure why. But go to this link, and scroll down to the second photo, the one that is like a chart showing all the Romanian variants.
    Romanian made AK47 Varieties

Is this just a Romy Draco with a stock, ala AimR?

need pics

ETA, yes, a wire, side-folder. My google search says it's a Romanian AK47 Speznas.

OH, as for why to keep it if it has lots of muzzle flash... I have 11 other AK47s and 4 SKS's. I want one that I can take out and play with in the dark just for the "cool" factor if I ever want to... One could easily argue why I don't need the 2nd, 3rd, etc AK... but then again I could just say, "Why not?".

ETA2, you guys sparked curiosity in me so I had to go retrieve it to see exactly what it said on the receiver. On the side, in crude, free-hand engraving it says "MADE BY CN ROMARM SA/CUGIR IN ROMANIA", "IMPORTED BY CAI GEORGIA, VT." So I don't think it was assembled by the monkeys at CAI.

I also bought an imported Maadi at the same time (same seller). I got a steal on both of them (wouldn't have blinked an eye buying one of them for the price I paid for both).

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I too do not know of any Romanian pre-bans.

I really would like to see photos of your rifle because it really sounds interesting. Especially the markings.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I too do not know of any Romanian pre-bans.

I really would like to see photos of your rifle because it really sounds interesting. Especially the markings.
    Ah dang... can I just email them to one of you guys to post? I hate putting pics up on web-hosting and then posting them... I also seem to screw it up and it takes 3-4 tries and ... well... I'm too lazy for that...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, I googled "romanian aimr" like Clay said and found some similar pics.

ETA, both these pics show mag dimples on the receivers, mine does not have mag dimples...

Like this one except longer muzzle attachment, and the furniture is all black, plastic (could have been changed out).
    ak2fp4.jpg

Muzzle attachment is more like this one, except that one appears to be slits, mine is 4 rows of 3 holes. The rows are at 3, 6, 9, & 12.
    IMG_0909.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ok, more searching turned up this thread at akfiles... maybe it's not so special...

Essentially it's a WASR-10 with the wire sidefolder and AIMR barrel and front sight/gas block combo, with a long muzzle device permanently attached for legality. So yes, it's "special" in that Century didn't make very many of them, but it's not pre-ban.

There's also no such thing as a "Speznas" or "AKS-74U(Ro) or Krinkov(Ro)"; the site you linked to is known for re-broadcasting dubious information from elsewhere on the web, without bothering to fact-check or otherwise vet it. The shorty Romanian 7.62 AK is/was known as the AIMR.

realaimr762sidefolder01.jpg

You could turn your gun into a nice SBR just by lopping off that muzzle extension and replacing it with a birdcage type flash hider, or even a muzzle nut.

My :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom