• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Going to be investing soon in a new electronic powder dispenser. Almost everything else I own is RCBS, but I do have a handful of stuff that is Hornaday and have been happy with both.

Really like the RCBS Chargemaster 1500, but the price is a bit salty at $300. I can buy the Hornaday version for $200, but don't want to cheap out and then be unhappy with it.

I load 9mm, 5,56 and 30-06. Would like to eventually load .38spl and .308. I am not a high volume reloader. I will take a Sunday afternoon and load 500 rounds, then not touch the stuff for 3-4 months.

What say you INGO!! Is the RCBS worth the extra $100???

RCBS Chargemaster Dispenser and Scale - 110 Volt | Natchez Shooters Supplies

Hornady LNL Auto Charge Powder Manager 050068 | eBay

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I use the hornady for rifle rounds and don't have any complaints about it. Just be sure to let it warm up before use. If you look around online you can find it for about $175. Midsouthshooterssupply.com usually is about the best price.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've been looking at these recently as well. I have a friend that has had the RCBS for a while now and I know it's awesome. There is no warm up time, just turn it on, zero the scale, input your charge weight and go. It's also much more expensive than the Hornady, but some of the reviews on the Hornady make me hesitant on buying it. A lot say it is not consistent, some people have experienced complete failure of the auto feature and have gotten no help from Hornady in that regard. That said, every company puts out a lemon once in a great while.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I haven't used the hornady but I would buy the RCBS again in a heartbeat. I think I saw Natchez has them in sale right now.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I bought a Lyman about 6 years ago----------------not one problem(after I read the manual)- and YES,I load a lot..

Two friends have had major problemd with their RCBSs'------both were older models,RCBS said that they would not work on the one-------the other was "out of warrantee"-cost for repair was close to 1/2 the cost of a new one----another friend recently bought a Hornady---hasnt use it yet,said"he needed to read the instructions 3 or 4 more time"

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    A friend, who I often collaborate with on reloading, has the RCBS and it works great with many different types of powders. My only complaint is that it can be slow at time so I find myself waiting for it to finish dispensing. The solution, of course, is to get two of them. But the unit works great. No experience with the Hornady unit.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have had the RCBS for three years. Well worth the money.

Same here although would never pay 300 for it. I waited for a sale coupled that with RCBS rebate and Cabelas points. I think it costed me less than seventy bucks to my door step.

I use it for working up new loads and rifle stuff. I do find it to be a tad slow and real sensitive. Never had any issues with it. Would buy it if you can get a deal. RCBS runs rebates and with a sale price it can be had decent.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can tune the RCBS to run faster. There is a You Tube video on how to adjust the settings. I used mine to load 9mm and .223 before I got my Dillon.

triggerhappy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    I have the RCBS and a friend has the Hornady, I can't tell any difference in the accuracy of charges thrown with either but both are so slow I rarely use mine now and have gone back to using my Redding measure for most everything

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Thank you for all of the responses....Decided to go with the RCBS. Now trying to decide to buy now or wait until Black Friday???

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hate deviating from the op, but I always recommend the PACT. $230, made in Texas and serviced in Texas if ever needed. Mine has ran fine for 10 years.

Seconded on that one.
    Made in USA and still going strong after ten years of pretty heavy use.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Has anyone tried the Lyman? Sorry for threadjack! Lyman Gen 6 Compact Touch Screen Powder Scale Dispenser 110/220 Volt

The price is right, and I know Lyman's CS is good. The reviews about CS for the PACT are the only thing that would keep me from looking at it.

I've called PACT with questions I had about how to operate their scale, and they told me what to do to get it re-initialized right off, then gave me the link to the manuals that I had stupidly lost years ago.
    I have no beef whatsoever with their CS.
    As I said, made in USA.
    How often do you see that, especially with electronics?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've called PACT with questions I had about how to operate their scale, and they told me what to do to get it re-initialized right off, then gave me the link to the manuals that I had stupidly lost years ago.
    I have no beef whatsoever with their CS.
    As I said, made in USA.
    How often do you see that, especially with electronics?

:yesway: Good to hear you had a good experience with their CS. I wouldn't compare the issues that you had to warranty issues though. Out of 56 reviews, 13 are 1 star and about how their product has been back to the company a handful of times.

Made in the USA is great. Hornady is also made in the USA along with Lyman and many other great companies in the world of reloading. Having said that, if my hard earned money gets me a paper weight with a "Made in the USA" label on it, or a quality scale that is made elsewhere, I'm going to get the scale. Here is a test comparison that I found between the RCBS, Lyman, and the PACT. Digital Powder Dispensers -- RCBS ChargeMaster, Lyman 1200 DPS, PACT test review with accuracy, speed, warranty, reliability tests

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ya know, if you are going to spend $200-300 on a measure, you may as well get one that doesn't give up anything ANYwhere, at least, until you get to a Prometheus.

PREMIUM Powder Measure

Harrell makes such a thing. It doesn't even require any power to throw charges closer than a Chargemaster....idn't that NEAT?

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Ya know, if you are going to spend $200-300 on a measure, you may as well get one that doesn't give up anything ANYwhere, at least, until you get to a Prometheus.

PREMIUM Powder Measure

Harrell makes such a thing. It doesn't even require any power to throw charges closer than a Chargemaster....idn't that NEAT?

-Nate

That may be about the nicest production conventional powder measure out there, but it still throws by volume, not weight.
    Also, I'd be willing to bet you'll still have quite the struggle dealing with the extruded powders the likes of IMR4831 and H4350, a particular type of powder where the electronic dispensers excel.
    Yes, you definitely will have to deal with shearing and other issues with extruded powders:
    • Four cutting edges, two left and two right hand

Top Bottom