• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Since I finally have a reloader and wanting to start with 9mm-what are your favorite powders and why? My wife's grandpa always used IMR 700x for shotshells and my Lyman reloading book gives info for the same powder for handgun loads(suggesed starting load of 3.0 grains for 120gr. bullet).
    We always had good performance from this powder- Fast burning-7th fastest according to Lyman-sound ok?:dunno:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For low powered plinking loads, I use American Select. It is a very clean burning powder. It doesn't take much powder, so it is an economical load. I use it with 125 grain lead bullets. For high accuracy match loads, I use Power Pistol. It gives terrific accuracy with a 115 gr. FMJ bullet out to 50 yards in my accurized Beretta 92 FS.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I've been using Titegroup for jacketed bullets it is clean, not effected by temperatures, accurate and consistant in everything I've loaded it for, redily available in my area from several sources, cheap around 1750 rounds from 1 $16 pound of powder. I also use green dot for lead bulets for the same reasons allthough not as clean or as cheap.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Titegroup, W231, and Bullseye. Titegroup is the most consistently outstanding, but the others have their moments with certain bullets.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Does anyone have any good/bad experience or comments on IMR 700x? I really would like to try it first ,since I have some already-the only downside I can figure is it may not flow quite as well as titegroup,HP38 or other good ball powders.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    IIRC hp38 is a flake powder not a ball.... with pistol loads you dont have worry about metering as much because the volume is less than rifle rounds and it has a larger funnel to fall through.... use it an try, thats they only way to learn IMHO

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Does anyone have any good/bad experience or comments on IMR 700x? I really would like to try it first ,since I have some already-the only downside I can figure is it may not flow quite as well as titegroup,HP38 or other good ball powders.

I have never used it but if you have it and IF the reloading manual has a load for it I would use it just to try. Heck who knows it may be that one everyone is looking for. you will have very little money in it since you already have the powder. Load up a few again IF your manual has a load listed for IMR700X . Try a few to see how they operate the action and check for accuracy, if all is well then load a few more to see if it is clean. Even if it is a dirty powder and it requires cleaning every 200 or so rounds who cares, I would use it if accuracy was ok and it would function the pistol. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

I found this load on Handloads .org use caution and start low and work up unless you have other data.

123gr LRN 4.5 gr 700x 1,212 fps CCI SP

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

I use 700x for 9mm..
    works great, but the powder can become sticky and not flow well if it gets humid..
    a new jug of it works fine.. but an old batch might give you fits..
    I have resulted in just using my auto trickler & scale to weight it out..
    which has resulted in some really consistant loads..

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I like HP-38 the best. It's a little dirty and smoky, but it's very versatile, has low recoil and flash, and is cheap. Winchester 231 is the exact same powder, but it costs a little more.

Lots of competition shooters like titegroup with jacketed bullets, but I have no experience with this load. I mainly shoot lead anyway, and titegroup doesn't work well with them (lots of smoke).

I am going to try some solo 1000 with 147-grain lead bullets soon. I've used Solo 1000 for 45ACP quite a bit, but never 9mm.

Top Bottom