• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    So I work at a fast food joint here in town part time to make some extra cash for the family. As I'm sitting in my truck on break today, I noticed a guy walking up to cars and looking in the windows, watched him for about ten minutes before he walked up to my truck. At first he didnt notice me because of the tinted windows, rolled down my window as he was staring in and shocked him. Asked him what the hell he was doing ( glock 23) sitting on my lap. He said he was looking for a friend, then changed his story and asked if I had some money I could spare. While talking to me he kept looking into the truck, looked down noticed the glock told me to have a nice day and walked away. Watched him look through about ten more cars called local pd and went back to work. People have lost their minds!!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad it worked out well for you and you stayed safe.

Not trying to criticize you in any way, but I would have handled it a little different.

First I do not think I would have rolled my window down. Sitting in a vehicle can be a major disadvantage had he decided to do something. I assume the truck was not running? If anything I would have started the truck and put it in gear. If he stayed there I may have cracked the window enough to speak, but not let him see inside. Also not allowing enough space for him to reach in.
    My weapon would have been at the ready, but I would not allow him to see it. My reasons being, I do not like to show my weapon. If I show it then I feel my life is in danger and I am ready to use it. Also, he now knows what you drive and that there may be a handgun in that truck. I assume you had your work uniform on? He now knows you work there and where your truck can be found. I doubt you carry inside while working so the gun is left in the truck.
    Also, how would you have reacted if the police showed up to talk to you because he went and called the cops saying you pointed a gun at him? You just never know?

Good job on calling the PD :yesway:. I would also write down a description of the man and bring it up with management. You witnessed him looking through several car windows... Just to have it on file in case he returns or someone's vehicle is broken into.

Again, not trying to judge you in any way, so please do not take offense. Just my :twocents:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Troy,

I won't second guess you on this one. I probably would have done the same thing. I have read many cases where a brief display of your weapon is enough to stop some idiot from doing something harmful. I think it can be an appropriate technique.

+1 for calling the police.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good job on calling the cops! I wonder if they would have gotten there in time if you had called them when you first seen him?

Would have been nice to have gotten some video of him eh? He sounds quite bold to still continue on knowing you were there watching him.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you work there and this was in the parking lot, why didn't you or a manager go out and yell at the guy to get the hell out of there?

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    he wont get the firearm unless he has time to break into my safe ( under the seat) or un bolt it and steal the whole thing, Couldve probably handled it differently but not alot of time to think when something like that happens, just react, i took a description of the guy and gave it to the pd when I called. I doubt he will come back but if he does I'll be waiting for him. Im not the only one at work who carries, the manager informed me my first day that she carrries at all times.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    First you said

watched him for about ten minutes before he walked up to my truck

then you say

he wont get the firearm unless he has time to break into my safe ( under the seat) or un bolt it and steal the whole thing

and go on to explain

but not alot of time to think when something like that happens, just react,

then you say

Im not the only one at work who carries

Just my opinion, I am not a professional..

Props to you for working hard for your family. +1 for that..

If you carry it wouldn't be in the safe to steal.

I say showing the weapon was a mistake.

If you watched for 10 minutes you had time to photograph and call the PD and reported a suspicious individual.

PD should have gotten there inside of 10 minutes.

You could have stayed on the phone with 911 explaining in detail what the guy looked like while looking at him..

I would have never rolled down my window I would locked the doors before he got to your truck, stayed very still and let him check yours and move on thinking no one had noticed his actions allowing time for the PD to witness his actions as well.

They could have shown up, checked his ID, found he had warrants and be off the streets right now.

But I bet you had a huge adrenalin rush from it didn’t you..

Glad to hear you walked away. Training, planning and reacting are all key steps to staying alive…

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I cannot knock on you for doing what you did.

Now that you've had the opportunity to get some feedback and think it over...
    Would you have flashed your firearm briefly as you did originally still if it happened again?

These are the things you want to think about.

Just because my mind is always thinking in future/plan mode,
    I'd have started snapping a few pictures of him peeking into cars WHILE he was doing it.
    Perhaps a face-shot of him as he was looking into your tinted glass. ;-)

Meanwhile, Make sure you keep your safe locked tight and hope he was doped out
    enough to even remember interacting with you or which vehicle had a firearm.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Troy, thanks for sharing. These types of real life scenerios are great learning opportunities for all of us.

For example: I'd like to think I'd have thought about having my phone's camera ready and snapped his picture as he was close/at my car or recorded him as he made his rounds, but probably wouldn't have thought about until i read this. It's common sense and a good idea--and may have caught one of those asses you read about in the Bedford paper breaking into people's cars all the time.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Glad you stayed safe! Kudos also for working hard for your family to make ends meet

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    he wont get the firearm unless he has time to break into my safe ( under the seat) or un bolt it and steal the whole thing, Couldve probably handled it differently but not alot of time to think when something like that happens, just react, i took a description of the guy and gave it to the pd when I called. I doubt he will come back but if he does I'll be waiting for him. Im not the only one at work who carries, the manager informed me my first day that she carrries at all times.
    just steal the car

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I would have just shot him when he was looking in the window.

Cause you know you just had that window cleaned before he got his greasy head print on it.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Ive been an MP in the guard for going on 5 years, wasnt really thinking about taking a pic at the time was enjoying a break and noticed the guy, in response to the question about the safe and if i carry while working. Usually i carry a g27 on my ankle while working and keep the g23 in the safe, happened to have the g23 out while the guy approached. I wouldnt say I flashed it on purpose so he would see it and be scared or anything like that, SHOW OF FORCE. My way of letting him know he wasnt going to mess with my truck or myself. Could've handled it differently I'm sure but didn't really think anything of it until it was to late.

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    Personally I would have started the engine as he was approaching. That way he would have avoided you and not seen your face through your tinted window. Next time he's doing his rounds he may remember your truck and your face in the drive up and..........well who knows?

Top Bottom