Possibly my new rifle/pistol/bow range (lease for work)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I'm finding the land owners around here is Virginia are very accepting of new people wanting to use their land. I know a lady who lets people fish in her lake in exchange for help with her gardens. It looks like I'll probably have access to this land across the road in exchange for "hay work" (whatever that is). Anyway, I was told I would just have to learn how to drive the tractor. This guy doesn't want deer shot on his property (shut up Brad!), but says there are other spots where people will let me hunt. I'm hoping to mark it out to 800 yards. There are natural berms, so that will not be an issue. I cant wait!

20140111_152908_zpsgtwyooyn.jpg

20140111_152917_zpsfee4ixbv.jpg

20140109_085821_zpsuxe0bsly.jpg

20140106_130006_zpspscrmhyw.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Hay work...Have fun! It's a blast! /purple

Man, what exactly is it? The guy said I would have to drive a tractor. I don't mind hard work and I will certainly do more than that if I can be of assistance. I didn't get a pic, but he had about 50 6' tall bails of hay, rolled up in a huge ball. I've seen these around Indy and I have no idea what they do with them.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Have you seen any small bales? They would be about 2' square on the end and about 4' long, usually stacked in a shed or the loft of a barn.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Man, what exactly is it? The guy said I would have to drive a tractor. I don't mind hard work and I will certainly do more than that if I can be of assistance. I didn't get a pic, but he had about 50 6' tall bails of hay, rolled up in a huge ball. I've seen these around Indy and I have no idea what they do with them.

I think you're spelling it wrong. I believe it is "Hey" work. As in "Hey, can you come over and do x for me this Saturday"..

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think you're spelling it wrong. I believe it is "Hey" work. As in "Hey, can you come over and do x for me this Saturday"..

OH SNAP! Look how many posts I have in that one!

(Edit: Dang! It was 1911. Until I posted this one and it incremented.)

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Have you seen any small bales? They would be about 2' square on the end and about 4' long, usually stacked in a shed or the loft of a barn.

I haven't see any of those in his barn. This is the property that has the old barn and huge bales. He may have the smaller bales in the nicer barn on the other side of the mountain.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I haven't see any of those in his barn. This is the property that has the old barn and huge bales. He may have the smaller bales in the nicer barn on the other side of the mountain.

If putting up hay, only involves the large round bales, then the job is fairly easy. You may be ask to drive the tractor when cutting, raking to turn the hay over so it dries evenly, and/or pulling the machine that actually rolls the hay into the large bales. fortunately these large bales are usually moved around with a loader, so you would only be donating time. On the other hand, if he puts up the small bales I was referring to above, those weigh in at 80 to 100 lbs each, and stacked by hand at least twice. Once is onto the wagon that transports them from the field to the barn, the second is in the barn.

BrinNutz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    SBN
    If putting up hay, only involves the large round bales, then the job is fairly easy. You may be ask to drive the tractor when cutting, raking to turn the hay over so it dries evenly, and/or pulling the machine that actually rolls the hay into the large bales. fortunately these large bales are usually moved around with a loader, so you would only be donating time. On the other hand, if he puts up the small bales I was referring to above, those weigh in at 80 to 100 lbs each, and stacked by hand at least twice. Once is onto the wagon that transports them from the field to the barn, the second is in the barn.

Only twice? LOL! You should have seen the wagons after I got done with 'em when I was a kid. 6-7 high on the wagon, those were the days...I wouldn't got higher than two now though, LOL. :rockwoot:

Que, wolfman hit it on the head. If you're just driving a tractor for the big bails, that's the easy work. Small bails though, that's where the hard work is. It's not a bad range fee.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If its big bail hay work it consists of driving a tractor, and running a bucket. If it's small bale hay work and your lucky you get on a wagon and stack the hay in a manner it wont fall off, grab 70lb bales off the shute (paying attention to when the tractor guy will be turning to make sure one doesn't get kicked off the shute while turning). If your not lucky you get to crawl up into a 110 degree mount with metal roof, and stack hay up there while trying to keep the sweet out of your eyes, and not fall off the stack. I always say I'm retired from baling hay, but I always get tricked into doing it again at least a few times a year.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If its big bail hay work it consists of driving a tractor, and running a bucket. If it's small bale hay work and your lucky you get on a wagon and stack the hay in a manner it wont fall off, grab 70lb bales off the shute (paying attention to when the tractor guy will be turning to make sure one doesn't get kicked off the shute while turning). If your not lucky you get to crawl up into a 110 degree mount with metal roof, and stack hay up there while trying to keep the sweet out of your eyes, and not fall off the stack. I always say I'm retired from baling hay, but I always get tricked into doing it again at least a few times a year.

Yep, this is pretty much the story of my life. I tell people I'm done helping, and I still get talked into it. Nothing like 90 degree weather in long sleeves and jeans...

Top Bottom