Possibly holding open shoot on my property, pros and cons...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Where are most of the shoots held for this group? Are they at public or private ranges? Anyone have any insight as to having a bunch of strangers to my private range to shoot? :dunno:

Thanks,
    Patrick

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Vette on this site held a long range shoot that went pretty well.

The key is to have a number in your head you are comfortable with coming and sticking to it. Everybody and their brother wants to come.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a buddy who has a range on his property that he lets people come shoot on. But he has a range release that he has everyone sign every year releasing him from being reliable if you shoot yourself. That's what I would do first. Even though most of the people here probably wouldn't try to sue you, their insurance company sure would.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have a buddy who has a range on his property that he lets people come shoot on. But he has a range release that he has everyone sign every year releasing him from being reliable if you shoot yourself. That's what I would do first. Even though most of the people here probably wouldn't try to sue you, their insurance company sure would.

Liability is going to be your biggest issue. Even if you have someone sign a release it does not mean you will be sued. Even if the case is thrown out of court you could be forced to pay thousands in court costs. Ensure you have an insurance policy that would protect against an accident, etc.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    We've had 50+ family members shooting at the house many times, but I don't think I could open it to public. Not to be greedy, but I actually get nervous around other people I don't know with guns ... that's part of why I don't go to public ranges very often. Neal

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    We've had 50+ family members shooting at the house many times, but I don't think I could open it to public. Not to be greedy, but I actually get nervous around other people I don't know with guns ... that's part of why I don't go to public ranges very often. Neal

I wasn't going to be charging for it...
    Just thinking of having a few "friends". :ingo:

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    I would definitely have a release form of some sort if you are going to have a bunch of strangers there that your friends invite. That seems like a lotta heartburn as there is always one idiot in the group.

Top Bottom