• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Usually it only takes one go at it with bread yeast to decide there's gotta be a better way to go about it. LOL
    I've tried a couple of things made with it that weren't bad, but generally not the best idea. I've made a very slightly hard ginger ale with it that was pretty good, low enough alcohol that it didn't put off any off taste/smell. I used Alton Brown's recipe but let it go for a couple of days with an airlock before carbing it.
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-ale-recipe-1944722

I dunno, just saying what I was told. Maybe first time guys didn't know that or just weren't that picky.
    Could be, I've had a couple of beverages done with bread yeast that weren't bad. But generally most bread yeasts have a lower alcohol tolerance than yeast that has been bred specifically for alcohol manufacturing. And when yeast gets stressed it can put off off flavors. And bread yeasts are known to be hard to "clear" so you can end up with a hazy beverage, along with the taste of the yeast itself.

IIRC most bread yeasts will die off at around 6-8% ABV so you want to keep the alcohol lower than that to keep from stressing the yeast, where you can get some wine yeasts that will tolerate up to 18% or even a bit higher.

Along with walking out with sugar if you see someone walking out with a dozen cans of frozen grape juice or so, unless their getting it for church good chance they are making wine. Yep, Welch's wine. Quite a few people will start off with it or similar, you can get it just about everywhere and it's inexpensive to start off and see if you like making your own. If you do you can stick with supermarket juices, fresh fruit, or they sell wine specific grape concentrates for a wide range of wines.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For the most part I make my own alcoholic beverages but have never used bread yeast. Like Timjoebillybob says, there's lots of things you can use.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IIRC most bread yeasts will die off at around 6-8% ABV so you want to keep the alcohol lower than that to keep from stressing the yeast, where you can get some wine yeasts that will tolerate up to 18% or even a bit higher.

I think the idea was homebrewing beer. 6-8% would be fine for that. I've never done it myself, but family members did when I was young.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    you can end up with a hazy beverage, along with the taste of the yeast itself.
    One of my favorites is Coopers Ale. It is bottled with some of the yeast in it and is a cloudy beer with sediment at the bottom. You can decant it if you like but I like to stir it up a bit to get all that goodness from the bottom mixed in.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I think the idea was homebrewing beer. 6-8% would be fine for that. I've never done it myself, but family members did when I was young.
    Yeah, that alcohol content is fine for beer. But since you have to source the hops, malt, etc might as well get the right yeast. And home brewing/wine making has picked up in the last 20 yrs or so or at least became more "acceptable" in suburbia, so more places to buy the stuff and also the internet. Heck 20ish years ago or so is when they started selling the homebrew kits at wallyworld IIRC. I'm sure bread yeast use was much more common back in the day.

I know a couple of people that home brew beer and they can get quite picky about their yeasts. One yeast for this type of beer, another for that kind, etc. Winemakers can be even worse. But I've known a couple of both that just use plain old off the shelf bread yeast or even wild yeast. A girl I used to know did dandelion wine with wild yeast, that's how her grandma taught her.

ETA The recipe for the dandelion wine was as best as I can recall, pick dandelion heads(and have any kids you can get to do so pick them), rinse them off and then pull all the green off the flowers, fill up a five gallon bucket(or more than one) with just the yellow part of the flower, boil water and add a bunch of sugar, pour over flower petals until the bucket(s) are almost full, tie a flour sack towel over the bucket(s) and let them sit for a week or so, strain off into another container with an airlock and let it go until done.

One of my favorites is Coopers Ale. It is bottled with some of the yeast in it and is a cloudy beer with sediment at the bottom. You can decant it if you like but I like to stir it up a bit to get all that goodness from the bottom mixed in.
    Might have to try that one. Pretty much all beer/wine/cider used to contain live yeast, unless they sterilize it (which is common) they still do. I'm guessing that Coopers is a naturally carbonated ale, most nowadays are force carbonated. Natural carbonation is you let the beer/etc ferment out all the sugar then when you bottle it you add a bit of sugar. The yeast eat the sugar and produce co2 (and alcohol and sediment from the dead little yeasties) which carbonates it, force carb they pump co2 into it when bottling/canning or in the case of kegs when tapped/dispensing.

Last edited:

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Well if you want to hear about that girl... Let's just say that candy bars do not make good toys no matter what your boyfriend likes the taste of.
    Ewww.
    To return to beer issues….

I recently switched from my daily beer-with-dinner to shot-of-liquor-with dinner, so not a problem for me. I’m still working on my pandemic stash of so-so whiskey, tequila and vodka.
    What is a problem:
    If the girl smells “down there” like a beer that went bad, she has problems. And so will you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ewww.
    To return to beer issues….

I recently switched from my daily beer-with-dinner to shot-of-liquor-with dinner, so not a problem for me. I’m still working on my pandemic stash of so-so whiskey, tequila and vodka.
    What is a problem:
    If the girl smells “down there” like a beer that went bad, she has problems. And so will you.
    Why do you think one of the names used is muffin? Just remember if it's smeling kinda funky just squirt it with FDS.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom