• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Even though he is "wasting tax dollars" the positive interaction the officer mafe with this kid may end up changing his life forever.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    I'm going to give OP a break and assume he was being facetious.

This may very well have been the best thing the officer did all day. Obviously there's a lot we don't know; what district was the officer assigned to and what else was going on in it at the time, what was that neighborhood like, etc. But many kids are being raised with negative perceptions about the police being PUSHED on them by their parents and peers (there's some good video evidence of this out on youtube), and too often our boys in blue are reinforcing this by the way they act in those communities.

Now I'm not saying I blame the police who go into those places expecting trouble and being annoyed by it. You can only be called a "racist pig" so many times before it starts to bug you. But the best way to counteract it is with professionalism, patience, and yes... occasionally throwing a football.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Even though he is "wasting tax dollars" the positive interaction the officer mafe with this kid may end up changing his life forever.

Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking. (Well, almost. ;) ) Although I think the OP had purple-ish intentions and didn't really disagree.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    "To serve and protect" is still the motto of most LEO agencies. You say you want them to fight crime, OP... what does that consist of in your mind? Nothing but high speed car chases, foot pursuits, shootouts and all of the crap you see on CSI?

Yes, there is some of that in patrol work. But the GOOD cops realize that the far more important part of their job is public relations, prevention, etc. Trust me, throwing a football IS fighting crime, or can be in the right circumstances. As I said before, there's a lot we really don't know from this video. I'm inclined to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, though.

Could just be that I have a soft spot for LEOs. :)

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Who does this SOB think he is?? I pay his salary!!! He should be fired! He should lose his pension and go directly to jail!

Dashcam: Police officer plays football with lonely kid - YouTube

Have you calculated the percentage of this guy's salary that you pay? Does your employer get any revenue from government contracts? If so, then the cops pay your salary, too.

If we go further with this, then I've got a real bone to pick with you. Do you subscribe to cable TV? If so, then you pay their salary, too. I'd like you to get off your lazy butt at your computer and get over there and get them to fix my modem/router that keeps having intermittent issues. They need to answer to you NOW! Geesh, you can't get good service these days!!

Thinking this even further, then we must consider that the cop pays taxes, as well. That means he's self employed, so he can tell you to go get stuffed. In fact, we probably all pay each others salaries, as well as our own, so we can tell each other what to do AND tell each other to get stuffed, at the same time! Hmmm. Kinda sounds like it is now, anyway, doesn't it?

I'm really not sure about the purple, the more I think about it.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    How about all the LEOs that spend time on INGO, why aren't they out there protecting us?! To quote the movie Colors, "I was in Vietnam, man, I know about being outgunned... It ain't about what's in your hand, it's about what the people want!" :D

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Holster sniffer.

:):
    I've not heard the term, but I can infer your meaning.

I'm neither the sort you imply, who reflexively defends all LEOs, nor the kind that you appear to be, who automatically suspects/distrusts them all.

I've known enough police officers to know a cross section of their ranks looks pretty much like a cross section of most populations- there are heroes and losers, hard workers and goldbrickers, jackbooted thugs and patient servants.

My initial reaction to the video that got you so righteously indignant has partly to do with my experience with cops, but also with my general sympathy for anyone who takes time to play with a lonely kid. I say good on 'em, whether they wear a badge or a hardhat.

Sorry about the chip on your shoulder to LEOs. I hope a friendly officer throws you a ball sometime.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I seriously thoght the OP left off the purple. I'm no LEO defender or detractor but building positive relationship in the community might very well be the most important job they do. Neighborhood folk can either help or not help LE with information and when all they s3e are tough takedowns on the street they are way more likely to withold portant info. If there is an award for dumbest thread started for the week, this one will win. What BS.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A lot of purple in this thread (not that there's anything wrong with that!) I'll use the automatic/non-purple font color:

What did we see in that 1:33 video in Rosenburg? A LEO got out of his car, didn't shoot/taser/mace/beat/curb stomp/arrest anybody. Here's a kid who will remember that and he'll remember the LEO. Next fall when the meth-cookers are 2 buildings down the street, maybe he'll reach out to the LEO who stopped and threw the football to him. Intel sources are worth their weight in gold, kind of balances out the 1:33 of wasted tax dollars.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I would say that those 2 or 3 minutes are very well spent by the officer. It may very well help that kid decide to become a productive member of society, possibly even serving his community or country in some fashion, instead of a life of crime and gang activity. A little kindness goes a long way.

Top Bottom