• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I did a pretty extensive research project on armor for a grant purchase. Botach BattleSteel Level IV are incredibly lightweight and dirt cheap ($99 per plate). They are not NIJ rated but are supposedly tested by White Oaks lab for Level IV equivalent. I haven't seen their results but its supposed to exceed NIJ standard. We ended up going with Officer Survival Solutions for Level 4 plates. They're also not NIJ but exceed the NIJ standard in their 3rd party lab test and are about $220 per for a comparable weight to $500+ alternatives.

Soft armor wise we did a test fire with HardWire soft armor and it was impressive. A few rounds (.44 mag and .50 AE) deformed the vest enough that blunt force penetration would be a concern but it caught everything, including 5.7. Much MUCH lighter than traditional aramid. It very expensive though, and proprietary cut.

For hard plate only there are a million carriers, and most will do the job of holding a piece of hard plate in place, but keep in mind the shift to plates was due to the need of SOF to jump/swim in with them worn or packed, and for infantry units to patrol for weeks in 100+ degrees. For limited movement in conceivable scenarios of Midwest temperatures I would go with plates on top of soft armor. Level 4 stand alone is best, but you can get thinner Level 4 plates that may be thinner but require IIIA soft armor underneath them.

If I were paying out of pocket I would probably get the Botach Battle Steel Level IV plates (after I saw the ballistic report) and layer that over a BALCS cut soft armor a size smaller than I wear in clothing. Beez Combat systems is still selling some nice, lightweight (laser cut grid instead of traditional molle) that are cheaper than other brands but have a good reputation. BACLS cut capable, or or plate carrier only.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I don't mind the steel plates. Heavier, yes. But I do not see the attraction of buying plates with a possibility of them cracking/breaking.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I don't mind the steel plates. Heavier, yes. But I do not see the attraction of buying plates with a possibility of them cracking/breaking.

I totally understand the logic, but what about all of the people downrange jumping out of planes with ceramics? I think If cracking plates was an issue, you’d see the troops wearing ar500 steel. However, they are not running steel so I seem to think that is not the case.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I totally understand the logic, but what about all of the people downrange jumping out of planes with ceramics? I think If cracking plates was an issue, you’d see the troops wearing ar500 steel. However, they are not running steel so I seem to think that is not the case.
    I don't think there is a civilian version of Boron Carbide plates. Everything on our end is ceramic or poly. I'd hope our Angels have tip top of the line gear.

Having been around enough plastics in my life, does non-steel plating still have a relatively short shelf life?

Disclaimer: not a vet/military experience. I have no "real-world" feedback to give for heavy usage, only civilian courses and training.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Update on my purchase. Ended up ordering Hesco 4401 from body armor outlet. They said when i ordered should ship the last week of june. Emailed them today and they said mid to late july now. Now im lurking in the reddit r/gundeals sub looking for something in stock in order to cancel this order since the goal post keeps moving.

In the meantime since I have been doing security work I ordered an atlas carrier from LA police gear and some Level IIIA soft plates from midway USA that were in stock. Im very happy with the carrier and those soft plates are like wearing nothing. I pulled the trigger on these since I am actively working and level IIIA is better than nothing. Also in my lurking of reddit I'm shocked at how many people think that they need an ACH helmet. I have one been gathering dust in my garage that might hit the classifieds soon.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    What I did to my steel was wrap it w/Fiberglass to catch any Fragments.
    Tested them and held up fine even w/.308 rounds.
    My experience w/Ceramic armor while in the military was not a good one,
    the stuff was fragile and had to be replaced constantly whenever dropped or damaged.
    Went back to review OP and found this. interested in your wrap technique.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Update on my purchase. Ended up ordering Hesco 4401 from body armor outlet. They said when i ordered should ship the last week of june. Emailed them today and they said mid to late july now. Now im lurking in the reddit r/gundeals sub looking for something in stock in order to cancel this order since the goal post keeps moving.

In the meantime since I have been doing security work I ordered an atlas carrier from LA police gear and some Level IIIA soft plates from midway USA that were in stock. Im very happy with the carrier and those soft plates are like wearing nothing. I pulled the trigger on these since I am actively working and level IIIA is better than nothing. Also in my lurking of reddit I'm shocked at how many people think that they need an ACH helmet. I have one been gathering dust in my garage that might hit the classifieds soon.
    What may I ask is your intended load out?

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Went back to review OP and found this. interested in your wrap technique.

Use Auto Body fiberglass sheet and Resin.
    Cut slightly larger than plate to wrap over edge, make sure to press smooth to remove bubbles, on last 2-3 layers wrap over backside to secure it all together.

There is a Youtube video of someone making a plate this way, I just modified to include the steel plate.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Intended load out is to have 4-6 mags for my AR, 2 more mags for my pistol in addition to the 2 I have on my belt, and an IFAK. I have worn armor in the army and I hate it but I would rather have it and the extra kit I can put on it.

Ended up canceling the order with body armor outlet this morning and bought some of these in multicurve this morning because they were in stock. They still have some single curve in stock if anyone is interested
    Guardian 4S17 standalone plates
    https://tristatearmor.com/collectio...and-alone-nij-0101-06-certified-dea-compliant

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Intended load out is to have 4-6 mags for my AR, 2 more mags for my pistol in addition to the 2 I have on my belt, and an IFAK. I have worn armor in the army and I hate it but I would rather have it and the extra kit I can put on it.

Ended up canceling the order with body armor outlet this morning and bought some of these in multicurve this morning because they were in stock. They still have some single curve in stock if anyone is interested
    Guardian 4S17 standalone plates
    https://tristatearmor.com/collectio...and-alone-nij-0101-06-certified-dea-compliant
    Nice. Stuff adds up quick. I got used to the steel after a few days. Wish I had a better cut though. Standard 10x12 cut is cumbersome to work with.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Follow up for any who care. Got the hicom level IV multicurve plates I order from tri state The in two days. They aren’t super lightweight at I think 7 pounds each but they wear really well. Total kit is right at 20 pounds. Would recommend the plates and atlas carrier.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Follow up for any who care. Got the hicom level IV multicurve plates I order from tri state The in two days. They aren’t super lightweight at I think 7 pounds each but they wear really well. Total kit is right at 20 pounds. Would recommend the plates and atlas carrier.
    Nice. Shoot a pic when your all setup.
    e89deddf12e9a05d90a51ba69284ec89.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Level III+ should do the job if its AR500 plate. Iirc that's supposed to stop M80 ball and M855 point blank. If you can handle the the weight it would probably do the job for you.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I went with the AR500 Testudo package and i'm pretty impressed. Its heavy, but honestly not any heavier than I expected. I don't wear it every day, so the perceived cost savings was worth it. I cant remember what I paid, but they had a pretty killer sale at the time. Not LEO/MIL, my purpose is SHTF, etc. While it is heavy, if I feel like I need to wear armor, I'll suck it up and get over it. That being said, I'm very interested in a lighter alternative. Thanks to those of you providing links etc. I'd like to get the wife a light weight vest. While i can't spend too much on armor, I wouldn't mind having an extra set at some point.

Top Bottom