Plastic flip top/hinged ammo boxes locally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Anyone know of a local place (within 30 miles of Indy) that sells these for decent prices? I am looking for those similar to the MTM or Frankford Arsenal. I found some online for decent pricing $1.53 for 50 round 40S&W box and $2.63 or so for 50 round 223 box, but shipping is nearly $20, which makes them much less of a deal. Plus, i would rather support a local shop if possible.

Thanks to all in advance!

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    If I recall correctly, Plainfield Shooting Supplies had a bunch when I was in there...months ago though! Did not even look at the prices, but I believe they do carry them! Give them a call!

EDIT: 300th Post! No longer a plinker! haha sorry, couldn't resist!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I got a little larger plastic dry box at Gander Mountain a few months back. Its probably about 25% larger than a .50 cal ammo can, and also has a tray that sits in it. I use it now as my range box.

IIRC it was in the $20 range.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Thanks all. I believe the Gander box jblomenberg16 is referring to is like an actual ammo can, where I am looking for individual 50/100 round boxes. But, yes, Gander is still a scam, because the individual boxes are still $4 to $5 bucks each. I was hoping to find a local place that sells them for $1-$3.

Thanks again!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I believe the boxes I bought at gander were $2.99.

The problem with Gander is that I am buying approximately 50 of them or maybe more depending on price, so if they are even $.50 more than online, shipping them becomes the way to go....but I just hate the principal of paying an extra $20 to ship some plastic to my house. At that rate, I could afford 12 more boxes if I didn't have to pay shipping and could find them locally for the same price.

(I know, I sound really cheap. Just trying to make the most of my limited shooting related budget!)

Thanks again!

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    The problem with Gander is that I am buying approximately 50 of them or maybe more depending on price, so if they are even $.50 more than online, shipping them becomes the way to go....but I just hate the principal of paying an extra $20 to ship some plastic to my house. At that rate, I could afford 12 more boxes if I didn't have to pay shipping and could find them locally for the same price.

(I know, I sound really cheap. Just trying to make the most of my limited shooting related budget!)

Thanks again!

What size ammo are you needing boxes for?

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I am looking for approximately 20-25 each (depending on rounds held) for .40S&W and .223.

I would also like to have a few .45, .357/.38, and .308 however those are not my priority and I will likely get those in bits in pieces as needed.

Thanks for all suggestions!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks all. I believe the Gander box jblomenberg16 is referring to is like an actual ammo can, where I am looking for individual 50/100 round boxes. But, yes, Gander is still a scam, because the individual boxes are still $4 to $5 bucks each. I was hoping to find a local place that sells them for $1-$3.

Thanks again!

Yep, you're right. After I re-read the post I see you were talking about the smaller ones that hold the individual rounds. Oops!:n00b:

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Though Utah isn't exactly local, you could try Berry's Manufacturing:
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/products.aspx?c=29
    The good: They're very cheap in quantity ($52.91 for 50, shipping included!)
    Less good: The 50 doesn't appear to be mix-n-match, so it'd be just shy of $106 for 50 of the primary sizes you're interested in. That's pretty cheap for 100 boxes, but a fair-sized chunk of change all at once.
    Bonus: They have a lip on the lid that matches a groove on the bottom, so stacks tend to stay stacked without sliding around (I have a few of these, and always seem to use them first just for this reason).
    The bad: The website has a prominent warning that high volume has pushed ship dates out 4-6 weeks, though the FAQ says they're trying for 10 days. This is the Berry's that makes the plated bullets, so the warning might apply more to bullet orders than to ammo boxes.

Good Luck,

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Here is a thread from a while ago for ammo boxes. I ordered some and the shipping was not too bad.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...8314-frankford_arsenal_ammo_box_closeout.html

Fire

I ordered these too, received confirmation, and never got them. I finally called the company and they informed me my order had been cancelled because they were sold out.

Thanks to all for the responses, I appreciate it!! Now it's time to do some number crunching and figure out where I am ordering from!

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    The Outdoorsman sells them, but in quantity, you'll be better off buying online.

You really shouldn't expect a business to sell you something for the same price as an online merchant when they have to have it shipped to them and stock inventory.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    The Outdoorsman sells them, but in quantity, you'll be better off buying online.

You really shouldn't expect a business to sell you something for the same price as an online merchant when they have to have it shipped to them and stock inventory.

Its not an expectation, but rather an inquiry. Local stores often times can get the same pricing (after shipping) as online merchants, it is all dependent on the wholesale/resell relationship and where in the chain they fall. As I mentioned, if I can get them at the same or similar cost (including shipping) I would rather purchase local, and I am not opposed to paying a bit more to support local business. But paying $50 more I just can't justify.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom