• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyd2506

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Can someone not have a carry permit and legally take his/her pistol out target shooting??

. I have a long wait for my permit to come in, and want to target practice my Glock 32. my friend at work says it is legal to take to range as long as gun is not loaded, and ammo is separate.
    I took it out a few times this way to range, but the other day, just to be safe, I tried to look up the laws, and found nothing on the target practice law he talks about. So I'm not taking it back out again till I know for sure.

Any links on the laws would be great.

thanks

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Friend is correct, as long as it's unloaded and in the trunk, you are fine.

Don't have the link, maybe someone who knows where it's at will be along soon.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Not sure of the legaleze, but would be careful about taking any side trips on your way between home and range. The law might interpret a stop at the gun shop on the other side of town as being outside the scope of going to the range.

scottyd2506

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks guys. So my friend was right. I drive mainly a truck, so I am glad if it does not need to be in another compartment.
    Last time I went, My unloaded gun was in the glock handgun case, and ammo in a old steel army ammo box.. none of them are lockable. Do they need to be in locked containers to transport?
    I applied for my handgun license late NOV 2012, so I don't expect to get it till April as everyone is waiting 12-16 weeks now a days. But I at least would like to practice till that time.

thanks

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Not sure of the legaleze, but would be careful about taking any side trips on your way between home and range. The law might interpret a stop at the gun shop on the other side of town as being outside the scope of going to the range.

The law covers any transportation whatsoever. You are not required to be going to a range.

The container does not need to be locked.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It does not matter where you are going.
    Click on the link provided by All41AJ below:

In a quick copy/paste:
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

T Do they need to be in locked containers to transport?
    Nerp.
    The law covers any transportation whatsoever. You are not required to be going to a range.

That ^ That ^ That ^ That ^ That ^ That ^

scottyd2506

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

Thanks I looked up Indiana code IC 35 47 2 and found some info.

I often wonder by the time I would get my permit in April 2013 that Obama and Feinstein will have made it illegal to own anyways. I really hope congress doesn't cave.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    If you just want to avoid any potential hassle you can always go with a friend who has a LTCH. I've taken several people to the range before this law came into effect. Plus, it is always more fun to have someone with you.

Top Bottom