• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sometimes a gun just wants to go off...ya know? We mere humans are powerless to stop a gun's free will. Speaking of which...I need to go feed mine so he won't kill again...

*in the background*
    "Feed me Seymour!"

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Not necessarily; this is the 3rd publicized ND involving a dropped derringer that has taken place in Indiana over the past few years. I'm betting the gun in question was a Davis/Cobra POS like the other two.

Does that include the one at the 1500 in March?

I don't know why anybody would carry one of these... :draw:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sometimes a gun just wants to go off...ya know? We mere humans are powerless to stop a gun's free will.

California Z guns can go off when you don't want them too. Many incidents of Z guns firing when dropped. They are not Les Baers.

To paraphrase my father, I would not a California Z gun up my *** if I had room for a boxcar.:D

I don't know why anybody would carry one of these

Money.

California Z guns are cheap. I sold them for $70 at Galyan's back in the day.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    dude needs to get himself something other than a POS derringer...

to the credit of the journal-gazette (whom i no love for), they did not turn this into an anti-2nd amendment jobby. good for them.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I imagine that the derringer involved, probably was without a safe hammer transfer bar type of ignition system.

You can find this safe hammer system on modern Ruger single action revolvers, as an example.

The firing pin is never in direct contact with the hammer, and is only struck by a recessed metal bar, that is only aligned, when the hammer is in the full cocked position.

This system is good for situations like: a loaded pistol accidently falling and hitting the floor in a Lowes.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm not defending the guy or the gun, but I am holding my Davis 22WMR derringer. It has floating firing pins and if carried with the hammer down I can see it firing from one or both cylinders if dropped. It has a hammer blocking, cross bolt safety that can be used at half or full cock.

If I carry mine, it is in the half cock notch with the hammer blocking safety on.

I woudn't call it a POS, just an inexpensive firearm suitable for deep concealment intended for contact shots.

FWIW

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    There are too many ND while carrying these guns. I wish people would get the point, there are much better options that are lighter and around the same size as these damned things. I've read about ND from derringers for years and yet folks keep carrying them.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I had a friend who carried a derringer all the time, but he kept it in his pocket without ever having a ND.

It may just be me but you're going to carry a derringer, I don't think a holster is really suitable. I mean if you feel like you need a holster then you obviously need a different type of gun.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Well, it could have certainly been worse. I'd bet that more injuries occur from things sold at Lowes than from the guns brought inside. (de-fingerification from table saws and whatnot).

There are too many ND while carrying these guns. I wish people would get the point, there are much better options that are lighter and around the same size as these damned things. I've read about ND from derringers for years and yet folks keep carrying them.
    They don't call it Davis Derringer leg for nothing.:whistle:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Does that include the one at the 1500 in March?

I don't know why anybody would carry one of these... :draw:

I don;t either. Iv got one, and the thing is just....not good. The amount of force needed to cock the hammer is horrendous, and even single action the trigger pull has to be 20lbs. Accuracy is terrible, and you only get 2 shots.

Davis Arms: The original no-win scenario.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When Lowe's first came to Lafayette, they posted a notice on the front door stating that "Deadly weapons were prohibited".
    The store, as well as Lowe's headquarters were inundated with complaints from LTCH holders such as myself.
    They have EVERY right to disallow whatever they choose on their premises. It IS a private business. I also have the right to REFUSE to patronize such an establishment, and told them so in my communications.
    I do NOT know what made them change their policy, or even IF they changed it!
    I DO know that only a couple of months after opening, and receiving a bunch of flack, the signs banning "Deadly Weapons" from the store had mysteriously disappeared, and they do NOT attempt to enforce any such rule today.

Top Bottom