• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Sounds like they allowed it to get a little too competitive and bad choices were made, and or poor tradition gone wrong for many reasons I could imagine. Hopefully the tradition doesn't go away and it's just dialed in for next year.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    There are many traditions in the service that would not be viewed in a positive way by outsiders. Nothing particularly shocking or unusual about this one. pretty mild, imho.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Traditions I understand but when heavy objects are put in said pillows and noses are broken and stitches required or when someone is knocked unconscious isn't that a bit to far?
    When similar behavior is done in college fraternitis to freshmen it's called hazing and generally frowned upon.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Traditions I understand but when heavy objects are put in said pillows and noses are broken and stitches required or when someone is knocked unconscious isn't that a bit to far?
    When similar behavior is done in college fraternitis to freshmen it's called hazing and generally frowned upon.

Things always go to far, and someone ruins it, and then higher ups always overreact.
    Been that way since the gladiators.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

the army is not a college frat. They have different missions. Or, well, used to. Should.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Soldiers aren't college kids. You're teaching young men to kill and to lead other young men who are trained to kill. Then you expect them to walk small?

This should have been dealt with in house and been the end of it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Soldiers aren't college kids. You're teaching young men to kill and to lead other young men who are trained to kill. Then you expect them to walk small?

Yup. Not news.
    Same as when they were stopping people from "pinning" on dolphins and wings.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Actually they at a College earning a Bachelor of Science degree.
    I'm most certainly not going to justify their behavior, but that's what there are working for at the Academy.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Actually they at a College earning a Bachelor of Science degree.
    I'm most certainly not going to justify their behavior, but that's what there are working for at the Academy.

The degree is necessary, but it is subordinate to learning to be a soldier and being commissioned as an officer. WP is not just a college.

Yes it was knuckle-headed to stuff their pillows with helmets, but it's not "scandalous". They need to be corrected, hard, and march on. Shoot, if I read it correctly, these guys were barely out of high school anyway --- before they even get to academics, new appointees have to make it through a summer of field training. Better to have to rein them in rather than try to figure out how to put fire into them.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well, at first glance I thought "pillow fight, how manly" Then I seen a few brought to a more manly level. It's freaken West Point. Pillows? Really?

Top Bottom