• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    And what shake is 6k calories? I wanna know, cause most of mine are barley 1k or less, depeding on my workout routines... i.e powerlifting/mass gains, or endurance/definition gains, or cardio/fat burning gains...

Yes, that's how you lose weight. Just by eating is barley scratching the surface, but combining that with the other keys, that's jumping the bar...

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started a gym last Dec. with a goal of losing 40lbs. Minus the bad advice from a meat head personal trainer I ignored his workout routine that he gave me. After doing "his" routine I wasn't losing any weight, seemed to be building more muscle instead. I went to my own solid cardio workout and have lost 18lbs since Feb. I use the elliptical machine at my gym for 50min 5 days a week. I eat decent, no more fast food and if I do have a softdrink it's only 1 Coke Zero or Sprite Zero a day. This seems to work for me. My goal is to lose 40lbs and when I've reached that goal I will start to add a weight lifting routine into the mix to sculpt some muscle. It's definitely a lifestyle change that I waited too long to do (just turned 32) but I'm glad I did it.

Good luck to everyone else and their fitness goals! :cheers:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I started a gym last Dec. with a goal of losing 40lbs. Minus the bad advice from a meat head personal trainer I ignored his workout routine that he gave me. After doing "his" routine I wasn't losing any weight, seemed to be building more muscle instead. I went to my own solid cardio workout and have lost 18lbs since Feb. I use the elliptical machine at my gym for 50min 5 days a week. I eat decent, no more fast food and if I do have a softdrink it's only 1 Coke Zero or Sprite Zero a day. This seems to work for me. My goal is to lose 40lbs and when I've reached that goal I will start to add a weight lifting routine into the mix to sculpt some muscle. It's definitely a lifestyle change that I waited too long to do (just turned 32) but I'm glad I did it.

The trainer may have been trying to get you to build muscle to aid your weight loss. Quite often it is a good idea for overweight people to lift heavy to build muscle as it helps aid fat loss with more calories being burned. I am overweight myself and have noticed as I get older it is harder for me to compensate when I am out running outside with my boy. Also, as I have thought more about a bug out situation or SHTF it would be much better to have to haul 30-40 less pounds of fat compared to equipment:D

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Cardio without weight training also deteriorates muscle. So what may seem like weight loss could be attributed to muscle loss. Muscle weighs more than fat

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The trainer may have been trying to get you to build muscle to aid your weight loss. Quite often it is a good idea for overweight people to lift heavy to build muscle as it helps aid fat loss with more calories being burned. I am overweight myself and have noticed as I get older it is harder for me to compensate when I am out running outside with my boy. Also, as I have thought more about a bug out situation or SHTF it would be much better to have to haul 30-40 less pounds of fat compared to equipment:D

I understood what he was trying to do but it just wasn't working for me. Everybody is different but the amount of time he had me on the weights outweighed (no pun intended) the cardio time. I got a 2nd opinion from another trainer and she said to do a lot more cardio and then go onto the weights. The advice I got was, first you have to break down the fat and then rebuild with weights. That's what I'm doing now and it's working. I don't think my trainer was certified and the 2nd opinion trainer was. Just have to find what works.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I understood what he was trying to do but it just wasn't working for me. Everybody is different but the amount of time he had me on the weights outweighed (no pun intended) the cardio time. I got a 2nd opinion from another trainer and she said to do a lot more cardio and then go onto the weights. The advice I got was, first you have to break down the fat and then rebuild with weights. That's what I'm doing now and it's working. I don't think my trainer was certified and the 2nd opinion trainer was. Just have to find what works.

Don't be too quick to disregard the "musclehead" advice. Muscle mass is a primary factor in metabolism and is crucial to losing weight, as it is metabolically active tissue. In other words, the more muscle you have, the more you can eat without gaining weight - and the more you can eat while still losing weight. Notice a common trait of all of those people in before/after pictures in ads? They're typically bodybuilders, who can easily shed weight through increased muscle mass.

Doing excessive cardio breaks down muscle, and it can lead to a cyclical pattern of weight loss and gain due to the lower metabolic demand of your body. This idea that you have to "break down the fat and then rebuild with weights" is rubbish. The weight loss induced by cardio alone may seem better at first, but it will plateau much more quickly.

I'm in the West Lafayette area, so if you want advice/training, just shoot me a PM, and I'll gladly help.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have a dr. appt after work this afternoon.

I'll get another weigh-in.

Curious to what moving the belt in 3 notches equates to in lbs?!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Another thing that doesn't hurt as you get older is to have your doctor check your blood for testosterone levels and estrogen levels to make sure where you are supposed to be.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    Week six of p90x , I can sure tell a difference. The stronger you get the harder you push so it really doesnt get any easier. Highly recommend it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Update: Weighed in at 263 fully dressed.

I'm going with right around 260 "al fresco".

Big win for me!

Lots more to do...lots more to lose.

The last three weeks have NOT been conducive to gym time for various reasons.

Coming weeks should be better!

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Sunday, Monday, Wednesday I jog or do HIIT on the bike.
    Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I lift alternating with Deadlift, Bentover row, and Press on one day then Squat, Bench, and Chinups on the next.

Every workout is what you put into it and if you make excuses for yourself it's not going to work.

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    Monday - legs/abs
    Tuesday - Chest
    Wednesday - back
    Thursday - shoulders/abs/obliques
    Friday - arms
    Saturday - cardio

That is my regular workout routine. Also, about 90g a day in protein shakes as well as a strict diet and lots of grilled chicken. Works wonders

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I already posted this in the Break Room, but I completed my first 5K race this Saturday. It was the Race for the Cure in Indianapolis. I don't have an official time, but I think it was right around 35 minutes, which is about three minutes slower than my fastest treadmill time. Respectable, in my mind.

I'm now down about 18 pounds since Thanksgiving.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Joined Krav Maga about 2 months ago. I try to go to at least 2 classes a week but usually go 3x a week. Also with the weather getting better I finally have gotten to use my mountain bike I got for Xmas along with cleaning up my diet a little have lost a total of 26lbs.
    Since my endurance is coming along I'm thinking of really trying to diet either going to try a modified version of the Atkins diet or the body for life diet. I just borrowed both books from a couple of friend's will do some reading and pick which one will be a better fit for me.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    My new plan to help with my weightloss/staying fit routine is:
    Monday: push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and running a few miles
    Tuesday: 20+ mins of stretching and lifting focusing on legs and abs
    Wednesday: push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and running
    Thursday: 20+ mins of stretching, and lifting focusing on chest and triceps
    Friday: push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and running
    Saturday: 20+ mins of stretching and lifting focusing on shoulders, back, and biceps
    All this along with continuing to eat better as well as keeping track of what I eat and how often I eat. As well as cutting out drinking coke, etc and drinking lots of water and powerade. I've also started replacing my snack foods with apples, oranges, grapes, and bananas. Hopefully this will continue to help with my weightloss and keeping fit and healthy. I'm also trying to give up my nicotene habit without killing everything in sight in the process, hopefully that works as well.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I just wanna get to working out 5-6 times a week again. I want to put on 10 pounds and regain my respiratory stamina but due to my recent asthma like symptoms it will be challenging. I also am going to work on firearm and knife training again and the goal will be to be proficient in each. I will also start on the path to earning my black belt in Tae Kwon Do again if funds are available.

Iron22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Plainfield
    Google Crossfit the Army Marksmanship Unit put me on to it and it really works. mixed with the zone or Paleo diet you wont believe the results amazing:patriot:

Top Bottom