• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My project this long weekend is a total re-plumb of my inlaws house. It's something I've been putting off for years, but I think there's a small leak in part of the old galvanized iron pipe, so I'm going to get it done while I have the time off to do it.

I'm going to install PEX pipe with a home-made manifold set-up with a single line to each fixture. It's a small one-bath house on a crawl space, so it shouldn't be too big of a job. I thought a lot about using one of the manufactured manifolds, but I didn't like those. Especially the plastic ones looked like trouble waiting to happen.

All of my other plumbing work has been sweat soldered copper, and this will be my first PEX job.

Anybody have any experience with PEX manifolds?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes I used a bit of it. When used with "SharkBite" connectors or similar connectors its crazy easy to use. You literally cut the PEX line and push on the connector. No glue, no waiting. Its pretty nice really and with those SharkBite connectors you can take them apart as well, just get the little plastic release tool and you can take the sharkbite connectors off the pipe if you mess something up and cut a length wrong or something also with those connectors you can connect a PEX line to a copper line or a PVC line or in any combination. Their just an amazing invention and makes plumbing so much easier. The PEX line with those connectors are every bit as strong as copper even though people talk bad about it, its due to them not doing the research on it. Use it and forget it, Ill never go back to the old way ever again lol.

Here is video that may help,
    [video=youtube;IqlkGbEXGT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqlkGbEXGT0[/video]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The sharkbites are GREAT but can get pricey pretty quickly. The crimp connectors are a LOT more economical, not quite as quick but very easy to install. The crimp tools can be rented or purchased and if you use it more than once it pays for itself if you choose to purchase. I've used a combination of sharkbite and crimp on my last two projects and for an electrician I don't think it turned out too badly, read that as "no leaks"!!

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Had our home redone with total pex 4 years ago. During the 15 below weather and three days without power a couple of years ago we had no frozen lines and our water bill has dropped $10.00 a month sense it was installed. Me, I'm kind of impressed my self, so go for it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ditto what Steve and Murph said. I am renovating my home and though I haven't got to the bathrooms yet, I have re-plumbed the kitchen and outside hose spigot. I use a combination of crimp and Sharkbite. I really like the stuff. Makes plumbing a much nicer job. In the past I would have picked electrical work over plumbing 9 times out of 10. With PEX its about even.

Sorry, no experience with the manifolds as I have not needed it yet. It won't be a single manifold with a home run system though. I will be configuring it with remote manifolds. Should be nice once it's done.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Thanks for the good info. I think I've decided to use the crimp joints on the Pex, and some shark-bites to connect into a couple of copper lines that go to and from the water heater. Never used shark bites before, but everyone I've talked to recommends them highly. I've soldered a million copper joints, but if I can avoid it I will, especially in a line that I might not be able to get all the water out of. I've also got to keep the iron pipe drops for the toilet and bathroom sink, since they go through the wall and the wall is really solid old plaster that I don't even begin to want to cut into. That'll leave three old iron elbows in the bathroom walls, and I'm OK with that for now.

To add to above, you can buy pre-made all metal manifolds very reasonable. You don't have to buy plastic. And I buy all my plumbing supplies for the most part from SupplyHouse.com - Plumbing, Heating & HVAC Supplies - Formerly Pex Supply.

Good prices, good inventory and amazing shipping speed. Sometimes I get my order the next day! I don't know how they can do that!

Nice, thanks a lot. I think I may get my stuff from them, even if it puts me off a day or two.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm curious too how you want to make your manifolds. The copper maifolds are pricey but are great for branching off to individual lines. Also if you get the ones with shut offs, it makes it nice to shut off one line to do a repair without shutting off the whole house or area.
    pex is great. Avoid shark bites unless you really need them (because of price only, they work great)

I only use the copper rings for Pex joints, I'd like to hear from others who use the steel cinch style connectors. Are they easier, better? Why?
    I'd really like to try the expansion type joints as they seem to give you wider, unrestricted water flow. Anyone use them?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Correction to previous post:

I use the pinch clamp type connectors. Why? Because a friend of mine has the tool and he loaned it to me. Plus, being the way I am if I used the crimp style I would check every connection with the go/no go gauge. With the pinch type I squeeze the tool until the light illuminates. Easy, peasy. And I can use one tool for multiple size tubing.

hcl0500-1.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'd really like to redo our plumbing using pex. Unfortunately, we get mice in the crawlspace, and I fear they'd wind up chewing my new plumbing :(

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The idiot who installed my pex ran the lines to my master bathroom through the attic instead of through the floor. I didn't catch it until the first hard winter. Now, every time it goes below about ten degrees my pex pipes freeze. The good news, as soon as it gets warmer they thaw out with no damage.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The idiot who installed my pex ran the lines to my master bathroom through the attic instead of through the floor. I didn't catch it until the first hard winter. Now, every time it goes below about ten degrees my pex pipes freeze. The good news, as soon as it gets warmer they thaw out with no damage.
    That's one of the best features. Pex won't freeze and break.
    cant you insulate your lines?

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    These are great, I did the shark bite ones a lot but the clamps are much easier to work with.

Correction to previous post:

I use the pinch clamp type connectors. Why? Because a friend of mine has the tool and he loaned it to me. Plus, being the way I am if I used the crimp style I would check every connection with the go/no go gauge. With the pinch type I squeeze the tool until the light illuminates. Easy, peasy. And I can use one tool for multiple size tubing.

hcl0500-1.jpg

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Just throwing this out, 1/2" copper (or galvanized pipe/fittings) is 1/2" inside diameter. Pex tube fittings insert "inside" the tubing, reducing volume. I have seen quite a few home improvement projects where the Homeowner did the work themselves but was sorry they saved $40.00 bucks and ran 1/2" everywhere.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I have one of the plastic manifolds. 32 ports actually for inside items, and a 6 port for hard water outside lines. No issues ever with either. Put the metal insert in the pex, slide into manifold, tighten down the massive nut and you're all set. Honestly, I couldn't imagine using the copper manifolds. They are usually larger, ugly, and not as clean looking.

Top Bottom