• ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    buy lots of "Quik Clot" or "Celox" and plenty of "Kerlix" gauze.

Most of those do more damage then help if you are untrained. I know one of them you can only use for certain types of wounds, no head injuries, etc. They work great on what they are designed for, but if used wrongly, then they cause more damage and can even kill. They do have some videos about how to use them, but I would say you need more training then a youtube video if you don't want to accidentally kill someone.
    Personally, I have some of the quik clot, but I have more of the regular bandages, since I have used them for way more then a decade, I know exactly how to use it, instead of trying to read the directions. And they are abit too expensive to open and test/play with in order to get the needed good training. Just my :twocents: and im sure everyone is different with that.

FattRed1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pendleton
    Thanks for a lot of great info. I know the training is a must which I will be going through. We are not provided kits and will put our own together. Another person from my department went through a class and got different input from different people. This is why I'm asking out here because I know there are many people with different experiences. Keep it coming because I'm taking notes. :popcorn:

I would get with your local fire department or EMS peoples and ask them what they think you should be carrying. If you are using this as a bag for your patrol car the reality is that you'll more than likely be using this bag more for CPR and minor First Aid and not traumatic, tourniquet required, gunshot wounds to the femoral artery that squirt blood and it's totally Black Hawk down! :rolleyes:
    I've been in and out of EMS for 12 years (left when I went into the Marines and then came back to it) and have yet to EVER see a squirting femoral bleed caused by a bullet, a car wreck, etc. Not saying it can't happen, just saying you'll certainly be answering more LifeAlert alarms than you will the aforementioned things.

It is not uncommon for law enforcement to get dispatched to a cardiac arrest as they are often able to get to the scene quicker than the FD/EMS.
    I know that in Madison Country all Sheriff's deputies carry an AED in their vehicle (furnished by the Sheriff's Dept). If this isn't feasible I suggest you buy just a few things:
    - Adult Sized Pocket Mask: To deliver respirations during CPR or respiratory arrest.
    -Non-Latex or Nitrel Gloves that are the appropriate size for you. If it is warm, wet, sticky, and not yours, don't touch it.
    -Kerlex Gauze Rolls x 3 or 4: See local EMS/FD they will likely just give these to you.
    - Gauze 4x4: Approx 50-100: Used to make a pressure dressing with Kerlex
    - MAYBE one tourniquet for yourself or for the every blue moon injury that you might need to use it on someone else. This whole talk of tourniquets is great and most of it has been accurate (6hrs to reperfuse a limb, saves lives, etc.), but unless you know how and when to use it you've essentially just spent money on something that is going to live in a bag in your trunk.
    - Maybe "QuikClot" bandages. NOT the QuikClot powder. Avoid the QuikClot powder unless you've been trained how to use it. The QuikClot bandages are the same thing but the powder is impregnated in the bandage and there is less chance of anyone inhaling it/getting it in their eyes.

For the most part with the above things you can provide the essentials of CAB (Circulation, Airway, Breathing... Yes they changed it and it is not ABC anymore). With the above materials, and the two hands Baby Jebus gave you, you should be able to handle most situations until EMS/FD arrives.

I know you asked for a "personal" medic kit load out, but my kit that I keep in my Jeep is for me AND everyone else. And even though I'm a Paramedic my kit isn't much more than that I've listed above.

Lastly, at minimum, TODAY, go and sign up for a CPR course (American Heart Association Heartsaver AED preferably) and take it. Renew it every 2 years. If you are interested in First Aid courses that cater to law enforcement feel free to PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Sport69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Portage, IN
    Thanks for the info Fattred1...We do carry an AED in our car. And we are trained in first aid CPR. I guess I should have stated that my personal kit will be for me as well as other people if need be. I work at a university and this will be on my active shooter loadout vest. In the event of an active shooter our training is to stop the killing. If I were to go down the other officers would leave me to eliminate the threat so I may need to attend to my own wounds til help can get to me. No rescue personnel will go into the building until it is deemed safe to do so. Hope this makes more sense.

FattRed1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pendleton
    Okay Sport69, here is what I'd go with.
    2 Israeli bandages ($10 on Amazon)
    40 individually wrapped 4x4 bandages (Likely free from your local EMS or FD)
    2 Rolls of Kerlex (1 small roll & 1 big roll also likely free from EMS/FD)
    1 CAT Tourniquet (or similar modern/easy to use tourniquet that you can operate one handed)
    5-10 QuikClot Bandages (I'd go for the 5x5 inch aka 50g. You can find a package of them for $18 on Amazon) HemCon bandages are another, more costly option. I avoid them because they are made using shrimp and there is a possibility of allergic reaction in some people.
    1 Treck available at Trauma Shears Alternative,Seat Belt Cutter,Oxygen Wrench,EMT,Paramedic,Firefighter,TRECK Shears (It comes in black too) This is a device that quickly cuts through rope, seatbelts, clothing, belts, boots, and tac gear without fear of cutting yourself or the patient. You can have someone naked in about a minute to expose their injuries. I know, I've seen me do it. Full Disclosure: I was an early, noncompensated field tester of this device. I own 3 of them and keep one handy at pretty much all times when I'm working on the street or in West Africa. These run around $15, I think.
    1 Pocket Mask (You never known when you'll need to do CPR)
    3 pairs of Nitril (non-latex) gloves that are your size.

And thats pretty much all I'd see myself needing in that kind of situation. Those should cover your bases for any immediate first aid needs.

Anyone else? Feel free to point out anything you think I missed.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Not a fan of Quickclot and took it out of my bags during OEF and didn't pack it at all for OIF.

TQs (tourniquet) are great tools to have, but keep in mind the big reason we train them so much in the military is for care under fire and for folks to use until a medic can get to them. Additionally, we are seeing folks surviving incidents that they wouldn't have in the past due to body armor and the blast injuries leading to massive extremity wounds.

I always teach my medics to try to carry things that have multiple uses, and love the use of Kerlex and ace bandages...don't be afraid to pack wounds then wrap them up.

I am wondering though if you are looking for a true "aid bag" or really more of an overgrown IFAK that you can use for folks in the hot zone. The trauma load out for an assaulter or someone that is in support is significantly different.

Even more important than any supplies is the training though, as mentioned above.

FattRed1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pendleton
    Not a fan of Quickclot and took it out of my bags during OEF and didn't pack it at all for OIF.

Agreed. The QuickClot Powder I was issued for OIF was not ideal. I was skeptical of the QuickClot bandages, but have been pleasently surprised how well they work. Plus no nasty debridment afterwards.

Top Bottom