• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Martinsville
    Anyone out there got any leads on persimmon trees to buy? I'm wanting to plant +/- 10 trees near a food plot for wildlife but I'm having a heck of a time finding any for sale somewhat locally. I'm located in Martinsville.

Thanks

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    One of the easiest and cheapest ways is to contact the Vallonia State Nursery, you can buy 2-3 year seedlings (of many native indiana trees including persimmon) in bundles of 100. Usually they run anywhere from $20-40 per hundred. You do have to pre-order usually and pickup. Link here DNR: Instructions for Ordering Tree Seedlings

You could also try contacting Jerry Lehman, an expert on persimmon trees who happens to be located in Terre Haute. Google him and you can find a contact. He probably has some seedlings he'd give or sell for not much, especially if your just looking for good old native indiana variety. He also has probably 100+ other species of persimmons (and paw paws). Nice thing about persimmons is they start fruiting fairly young, around 7 years and are very hardy. I have a couple hundred on a tree plot myself.

They are also easy to start from seed if your patient enough to grow them yourself.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    You want to throw some pear trees in there too... Deer love pears, apples and persimmons... As you prob. already know apples are ready first then pears the last the persimmons.. Gives the deer fruit at different times to keep them coming back for there treats... :)

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I found some growing almost at the Michigan line. I picked the fruit,and it was NOT sweet.You my want to find if the fruit has time to mature in your area.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I found some growing almost at the Michigan line. I picked the fruit,and it was NOT sweet.You my want to find if the fruit has time to mature in your area.

Do NOT pick persimmons. Wait for them to fall. They'll pucker you up like powdered alum if they are not completely ripe.

The tip on Vallonia State tree nursery is right on. You'll buy a hundred seedlings for what two trees cost at the home depot, roro king, or wally world.

Persimmon trees come in male qnd female so an abundance of seedlings will help ensure enough female trees so you actually get some fruit. Also know that coons, possums, coyotes and all manner of critters love ripe persimmons so if you like persimmons in baked goods you need to beat the critters to the fallen fruit.

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Fishers
    Schneider nursery in Seymour had them, I bought a dozen or so over easter weekend. That is the only place I have found to buy trees that are a little bigger. I don't seem to have very good luck with seedlings.

Top Bottom