• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A training I went to a few months back had this as a topic, drones flying illegally over special events. Under Indiana law, a drone is considered and aircraft per IC 8-21-1-1 "Aircraft" means any contrivance now known, or hereafter invented, used or designed for navigation of or flight in the air. Interfering with the pilot or the aircraft is a crime. We are not allowed to do so. We are required to let it fly for the 15 min it takes to run the batteries down and seize it once it lands.

You better find and ask the pilot if they are an FAA part 107 certified pilot with permission to fly at that special event before you seize private property. You will get sued.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You better find and ask the pilot if they are an FAA part 107 certified pilot with permission to fly at that special event before you seize private property. You will get sued.

I'm more intrigued in finding out that the batteries only last 15 minutes. Seriously? I thought it would be kind of cool to get one, but not if the batteries only last 15 minutes. Seems like a waste of money.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We were talking about the Indy 500 and parade. Good luck getting permission from them. Most other events don't concern us that much.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have a older dji phantom 3 that the batteries last longer than 15 minutes. But if you were closer we could find out and have some fun with it. They make drones that actually capture other drones. A whole market out there for what issue your having

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Denny, you are probably right but there have been some 107 pilots filming at the track. It might be possible for one to get clearance for a race. I'll link the video if you guys want to see it. The pilot's skills were amazing. And I'm not a 107 but I'll pretend to be if you try to take my drone. I'm not stupid enough to fly at those type of events. :):

I get 23-26 minutes of flight time from my DJi Mavic Pro when it's using the upgraded props. The Older Phantom II Vision+ I have is ~18-22 minutes.

Neither a flashlight nor a laser will do anything to these drones when more than 75 feet away unless you have some seriously powerful illegal high wattage CW lasers. The beam divergence is too great to concentrate much power onto the camera + it's constantly moving.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    "I thought I heard an intruder so I followed Joe Biden's advice and fired my 12 gauge into the air. Sorry if your drone was in the area."

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have an Acebeam W30 that fries sh!7 at 1.6 miles. It uses LEP technology. Laser Excited Phosphor. Look it up on youtube. They are big bucks now...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You guys and your cute little flashlights can try to blind a drone camera all you want. It's not going to hurt it. :):

If you want to see what a high end hobbyist laser can do, watch this video. He's fabbing some impressive home projects yet still not powerful enough to damage a camera element >75 yards away. His stuff is way higher power than anything you can buy as a consumer.
    http://youtu.be/W6FbUiiwutQ

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You guys and your cute little flashlights can try to blind a drone camera all you want. It's not going to hurt it. :):

If you want to see what a high end hobbyist laser can do, watch this video. He's fabbing some impressive home projects yet still not powerful enough to damage a camera element >75 yards away. His stuff is way higher power than anything you can buy as a consumer.
    http://youtu.be/W6FbUiiwutQ

I could have gotten into so much trouble with something like that as a kid. I was a little pyromaniac back then! :):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I liked the system I saw at the last Directed Energy Weapons Conference I was at. You use a high powered laser for a microsecond to ionize a line of air to the target then release what is basically a giant Van De Graaff generator to unleash a bolt of lightning down the trail. Zot! (may not be commercially available or legal in your (or any) state).

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I liked the system I saw at the last Directed Energy Weapons Conference I was at. You use a high powered laser for a microsecond to ionize a line of air to the target then release what is basically a giant Van De Graaff generator to unleash a bolt of lightning down the trail. Zot! (may not be commercially available or legal in your (or any) state).

dang. Deer hunt w that and it is cooked at the time of harvest!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Oh yeah, I definitely would have gotten into trouble with that as a kid. I was a latch-key kid, if you couldn't tell. :):

Top Bottom