• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Thanks for all the compliments and kind words. Even being from a pawn shop, I think I got it for a few hundred under what I see the few on gunbroker bringing.

I've had a few Marlin lever guns, but I'm no expert by any means. I'm assuming the rubber buttpad was added to the gun. Am I on the right track? Figure that will take some of the bite out of the recoil, but I do prefer original/unmolested.

Still, it's in good shape, and maybe if it is indeed a non-original buttpad, I may be more inclined to actually shoot and hunt with it.

It's most likely after-market. Is it screwed or glued on? If it's glued on you can cut it off then slowly sand it down till you get to the glue, slowly get the glue off then stain it. I hate when people add them to Marlins and Winchester 18**'s

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Nice looking rifle. I would shoot and enjoy. Pawn shops that I have looked at in the past several years are ovepriced. They want the price of new for a used item.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Marlin find

A friend told me of a pawn shop that he found had a pretty good supply of firearms, so I stopped by last Wednesday when I was in the area to take a look around. Not looking for anything in particular really. Have a small wish list, but just browsing.....

They had several guns. Not a lot that I would consider very high end, but I can be a bit of a gun snob. I handled a Sig P290, and considered it.

But I noticed a lever action rifle on the rack and asked to see it. Was a Marlin 1894 in 44mag. With the exception of a couple handling marks and small dings, and the Marlin bullseye being loose in the stock (but was there so I'll glue it back in), it looked very good. Not even a scratch on the loading gate, so I'm pretty sure it's unfired.

Guy helping me even said they even had the box for it.

Well, I hesitated. Just wasn't sure about the price. And didn't take it with me. But came home and did some research and went back this afternoon hoping it was still there. Yep! I got it!! Wiped it down good when I got home, and can barely see a mark on her. Now the dilemma will be - do I shoot her or not?

Serial number starts with 18xxxx, so believe that makes it manufactured in 1982. JM proof mark on the barrel. And what served as a manual was in the box too.

picture.php

picture.php

I got lucky like that on an unfired 1983 .30-.30. Still had the Marlin stickers on the stock and butt. I love it. You did really nice!

Kentuckypilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    I bought a few shotguns at a pawn shop a little over a year ago and the prices were pretty fair. But lately they seem like they are going up a lot especially on their handguns which is what I've been looking at the most lately.

Top Bottom