• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I have a Loaded Springfield that has the skeletonized trigger with the hole to access the overtravel screw on the face of it. Its cutting my finger. Anyone have a good solution for this? How much work would it be to replace the trigger altogether with one that has no hole?

Thanks in advance.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Chamfer the hole

If you can remove the trigger you can chamfer the hole to provide some relief. Is it a steel or aluminum trigger?

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    I have a Loaded Springfield that has the skeletonized trigger with the hole to access the overtravel screw on the face of it. Its cutting my finger. Anyone have a good solution for this? How much work would it be to replace the trigger altogether with one that has no hole?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same gun with the same trigger and I, too, have been irritated by that hole. I can't say that it has cut me, but I can feel the "edge" of the hole. Just haven't done anything about it as of yet and would be interested in suggestions. The big question is how hard is it to get the trigger off to polish the sharp edge.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    If you have a conical dremel stone you may be able to file down the edges of the hole by hand without dissassembly or a round needle file since most long triggers on 1911's are aluminum. Best to remove trigger to avoid any scratches to frame though.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

Thanks in advance.

Simply remove the trigger from the frame. Use a drill bit that is slightly larger than the screw hole, and rotate using your fingers only. A few turns back and forth will give you a chamfer around the hole that will keep your fingers comfy.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I doubt you will need to remove the trigger to chamfer the hole. If you take a small piece of dowel and whittle it down to a sort of conical shape, you could wrap some sandpaper 'round it and use that. Should not take too many passes to smooth it out if it's aluminum.

Or use a small cutter on a dremel...at LOW speed.

Last edited:

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'd imagine its time to learn to take her down completely anyway. I have the conical bit for the Dremel. I'll try chamfering with it and post the results. Aluminum shouldn't take much work (by hand of course).

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Well I've tried chamfering the hole with the Dremel stone, and I can't say I like the results. I'm leaning towards replacing the trigger completely with one that is smooth and has no overtravel screw hole. I found this on Brownell's website. Anyone have any suggestions?

1911 AUTO EXTREME SERVICE TRIGGER

l_100004774_1.jpg

Top Bottom