• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Last night, my better half and I were discussing trips we would like to take in the future. I said it would be nice to get into shape and take a 3-4 day backpacking trip. It would give us a goal, and the motivation to do it. Well, my wife is really not the camping type, so she wasn't so keen on that idea (we have been car camping one time in 8 years that we have been together).

I used to backpack about once or twice a year for a few days, and really enjoyed being outside, in the middle of nowhere relying on myself. I actually spent my spring breaks in college going backpacking in the Smoky Mountains, getting snowed on, while everyone else were bathing in the sun.

Anyway, after discussing some other options, out of nowhere she said, I think it would be nice to do an overnight whitewater rafting trip and do some fly fishing. :D I was totally shocked. She suggested getting some friends/family together and getting a guide. We discussed whether we would go out west or down to the Smoky Mountains. I have gone whitewater rafting and fly fishing, she has not.

So, I am asking you, INGO, where do you suggest we go? Do you have a certain guide service you suggest? I am thinking of doing a "trial run" around here first, I know it won't be "whitewater" but maybe Turkey Run, other options? I want to make this a positive experience for her and I, so maybe, just maybe we can go backpacking some time down the road.

Thanks.:ingo:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Look at the New River in Beckley WV. Plenty of guide services and many options for length of trips, overnight trips, etc...

Great place to go rafting.:yesway: I did it back in the early '80's. Not only is the trip a blast, the history of what happened in the valley is quite an education. We stayed at a small campground just outside of Fayette, or Fayetteville, VA. Don't remember which name is correct..... I'm old.:D

As far as Sugar Creek that runs thru Turket Run SP, your correct it isn't "whitewater" at all. I grew up in Crawfordsville, and we used to raft/canoe/camp down Sugar Creek all the time. I believe their still in business, you can contact Clements Canoes in Crawfordsville about renting if you need to. You can start at Crawfordsville, and they will pick you up at Deers Mill bridge. Or you could just park your own vehicle at Deers Mill. Deers Mill is almost to Turkey Run SP.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My GF use to be a river guide in WV and that would be the place to go. You will both love it and with guides and equipment supplied you can't miss. 1 day drive.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Just got back mid-June from an overnight rafting trip with these folks...

http://www.coloradorafting.net/#home

Highly recommend their services, it was a fabulous trip. Guiding was first rate, dinner and breakfast was prepared for you at camp (and was extremely good...not standard camp hot dogs and hamburgers, but steak, fruit, potatoes...they even baked a cake!). Our trip was class III and IV (wife's first time), but they have class V runs as well.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Try this for a fun and affordable weekend

The most interesting recreational facility in my home town has it's own man made white water course, and it's VERY affordable (5 dollars per person per trip down). It's closes on August 8th and is only open weekends, but you can have alot of fun for a weekend without breaking the bank. Here's a link:
    South Bend Parks & Recreation

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Look at the New River in Beckley WV. Plenty of guide services and many options for length of trips, overnight trips, etc...
    THIS! i went out there and rafted with the Hoosier Burn Camp kiddos a few years ago. it was a BLAST! We stayed at the Ace Adventure resort. if i ever go out there with family or friends Ace will get my business. they have primitive campgrounds and cabins. a private swimming lake, a mud obstacle course. there are MANY activities to choose from other than rafting. its a really great place. here is their website.

West Virginia Whitewater Rafting and Adventure Vacations | ACE Adventure Resort

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    A good friend of mine is an ACE guide. He drives up every other weekend to run trips. ACE and Cantrells are great companies to use.
    I've been on the Upper Gauley, Lower Gauley, and New River.

Class V Rapids :rockwoot:
    picture.php

This is a pic from my last trip with Cantrells, was not happy to end up in a big raft. For maximum fun you want a 4 person raft + guide.

I posted a few more pics in the album on my profile. You can get a feel for how much of the raft is under :eek:

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I grew up in Colorado and used Noah's Ark numerous times from Buena Vista to Salida through Brown's Canyon. Some amazing fishing in there as well. A bit of a drive from IN but worth it!

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    A good friend of mine is an ACE guide. He drives up every other weekend to run trips. ACE and Cantrells are great companies to use.
    I've been on the Upper Gauley, Lower Gauley, and New River.

Class V Rapids :rockwoot:
    picture.php

This is a pic from my last trip with Cantrells, was not happy to end up in a big raft. For maximum fun you want a 4 person raft + guide.

I posted a few more pics in the album on my profile. You can get a feel for how much of the raft is under :eek:
    your friend wouldt happen to be from Rising Sun, IN would he? our guide was from there. i cant remember his name though :dunno:

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    Rafting

The New river and the Gauley are completely awesome. Its only around 9 hours from Northern Indiana or around 7 from the Indy area. Definitely worth the wait.

pistol pete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    If you want to do a trial run Clements canoes is the place to contact . You can put in in Crawfordsville float to their camp at Deers mill and camp . Then shove off to the Cox Ford bridge in Turkey Run . I would say it is too late this year to really enjoy it . The water is down , if you want to do something now the Tippicanoe River in Winamac would be my suggestion .

Top Bottom