• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I know there are a plethora of commercially made outdoor firepits, and rings and such. Is anyone aware of building codes or recommendations for distance from them and homes? This would be on the ground not on a deck.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    No idea on anything as far as code on distance from house or deck, but I believed if you use common sense and don't burn when extremely windy or dry, you'll be fine.

My fire pit , when I use it, is maybe 15ft away from the house

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry, not helpful. I don't know particulars, but will stay tuned in to learn.

Snoop says to give up smoke...

Those do look pretty cool, but I don't think I could fit all the sticks and branches that I accumulate and burn in my burn pile/fire pit into one of those. :):

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The main thing wrong with those cool sided stainless fire pits as you also don’t get to feel any of the heat because it’s all contained in the unit. The little heat that emits from the flames over the top is barely anything and hardly worth it if you like fires.

Glowing hardwood coals emit so much more warmth with an open pit and it’s much more fun to watch.

Jmho

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    No idea on anything as far as code on distance from house or deck, but I believed if you use common sense and don't burn when extremely windy or dry, you'll be fine.

My fire pit , when I use it, is maybe 15ft away from the house
    What d.kaufman said.

My patio is 18' from the door to the edge. Mine is 1' from the edge.

DSCN3588.JPG

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The main thing wrong with those cool sided stainless fire pits as you also don’t get to feel any of the heat because it’s all contained in the unit. The little heat that emits from the flames over the top is barely anything and hardly worth it if you like fires.

Glowing hardwood coals emit so much more warmth with an open pit and it’s much more fun to watch.

Jmho

This. a 36" ring with lots of 1" holes drilled around the perimeter works great and is relatively smokeless. The key is to guarantee you have enough oxygen to support COMPLETE combustion. You need that air coming in around the bottom for that to get to where the actual fire happens.

Or you can drill it, bury it, and install a base vent in the center that draws air from a few feet away like a dakota fire pit. (only the vent is submerged). Black iron pipe and a cast iron grate to cover the hole is recommended.

Also leave 4-6" around the perimeter and fill it with VERY coarse (baseball to softball sized river rock) to allow air to be drawn down to the bottom. For best results, a 2nd outer ring to keep the soil from collapsing in is best. Concrete? pavers?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Imo (some) smoke is at least a part of a live fire experience.

I am not sure of the purpose of these smokeless fire pit devices. It seems like you might as well plug in a halogen heater and get the same effect.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Imo (some) smoke is at least a part of a live fire experience.

I am not sure of the purpose of these smokeless fire pit devices. It seems like you might as well plug in a halogen heater and get the same effect.
    No, see post 7. He's right. a halogen heater is more efficient than those fancy fire pits that are mostly for decoration or cooking.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Jmho
    Agreed 20230922_205722.jpg

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Mine is about 50' from the house, but I have plenty of land to work with.

I built a smokeless fire pit with the Crestone paver stones. Menards has the plans online, but I used a larger fire ring and drilled 1" holes around the top.

There is plenty of info online about them, leave a few gaps in the bottom ring of papers and a gap between the metal ring and pavers to allow for airflow and you're all set. Once it gets hot enough, it'll put out plenty of heat with zero smoke...

0653255bc362d858ca369330426b588f.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not the same thing, but I burn my rocket stove a few feet from my wood deck.

Everything stays contained well. No smoke after initial lighting. Pretty good flame though, if you want it...

20231027_195523.jpg 20231027_195549.jpg

Top Bottom