• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And it looks like the overuse of antibiotics in the meat industry is to blame. The samples that were taken in the study had a high percentage of infected samples, and some were infected with antibiotic resistant bacteria. We really need to take a step back reassess the overuse of antibiotics in our meat supply (dairy, too for that matter). Outbreaks are becoming more common and it's certain the .gov can't do anything about it (not that I'd want them involved any more than they already are, given their record).

Contaminated meat: Almost half of meat in stores may have staph bacteria - latimes.com

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    That's why I buy beef, pork, and chickens from the local FFA students, and have a few deer, ducks, geese, part of a moose, and an elk in my freezer.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I cannot possibly believe something that is overseen by the FDA could have any bad effects.

Gary North thinks similarly.

“This story is scary. When a Federal agency has a problem that it cannot solve, it clams up. No media press releases. No pointed fingers. It happened under its jurisdiction. So, silence is the strategy. If this gets really bad, they will ask for increased funding.”

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Look at that, all of the millions of dollars we spend on scientific research and we are just finding out what a primitive tribe on some foreign continent has most likely known for centuries.

The federal government is pretty primitive in their mindset... too bad we can't kick most of them to another continent though. :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Government intrusion aside, the alternative is higher meat prices. I personally think the "organic" thing is WAY overblown, but there is a happy medium between our current paradigm and the vastly costlier (and don't tell me it isn't) push towards the husbandry equivalent of hand-made.

Let the market dictate, but people like their cheap food prices. And until the consequences reach epidemic proportion, Americans will take their chances. So let 'em. The alternatives exist. Pick those if you don't like the supermarket.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    this is why I raise my own and butcher my own. cheaper in the long run and i can cut it how i want it plus I know that it doesn't contain anything harmful in it.

Granted I realize not everyone has this capability open to them due to location, time space etc but I reccomend that instead of buying from Kroger,Walmart, Marsh, etc..., do what the one guy said earlier, almost every county 4-H or FFA program has a yearly auction where you can buy a beef, hog and even sometimes, a meat goat to either butcher yourself or have taken to a butcher shop of your choice. This way you can have a little better faith that the meat isn't injected with hormones or any harmful injections as the animals are required to be blood tested, at least in my county they are. Just a little plug for the 4-H auction :rockwoot:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If they would stop feeding the cattle grain, they would not need antibiotics. Grass fed cattle (like they all used to be) need no medication. Cattle cannot digest grains and inside the stomachs grow "super bugs" as a result. If the cattlemen would just switch the cattle to grass a week or 2 before slaughter, the bugs would not survive and there would be no need to pump them full of antibiotics to kill them. You know that dairy cattle get pumped drugs and their milk has a certain percentage of mucus...yuk. Grass fed beef is HARD to find local. Grass fed dairy is easy...Trader's Point Creamery in Zionsville...GREAT tasting products.

Top Bottom