• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I've been trying to help Smiley in his search as we live just across the highway from each other. He's looking for a gun to carry that doesn't suck to practice with. Preference to hammer fired w/ safety.
    CZ 75 Compact (safety) or CZ PCR (decocker) or any other of the myriad of CZ75 variants.

We could list 100 other options but the CZ 75 line is tried and true.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm not a 1911 guy, my EDC pistols are slim compact striker-fired 9mm with no manaul safety. But if I was going to go with one pistol that's both good as an EDC and good at the range, and I absolutely had to have a safety and a hammer, I'd probably go with a good midrange (in price) Commander sized 1911. Probably a Ruger SR1911 Commander or a Springfield Ronin. Not a fan of DA/SA, I like the same trigger pull every time.

If you'd entertain a striker fired option, a S&W Shield Plus or M&P Compact 2.0 can both be had with thumb safeties. Probably what I would go with if I had to have a thumb safety, but didn't care about the hammer. My current EDC is the Shield Plus with no thumb safety. Shoots like a larger gun, so it's good for the range, but compact and light weight enough to be easy to EDC.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I've carried a Star model PD30 (4" .45acp 1911) for almost 40 years. Now I'm back and forth with a CZ P10c. 6 rounds in one and 15 in the other so it's a good trade off I think. Having said that I also bought a RIA 5" 1911 in 9mm this year and it's a great range gun very happy with it, but I wouldn't EDC because I'm not a large person and it's like having a small dog under my jacket. I prefer the commander size in a nice flat 1911, but 15 rounds in the P10c is pretty comforting.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've been trying to help Smiley in his search as we live just across the highway from each other. He's looking for a gun to carry that doesn't suck to practice with. Preference to hammer fired w/ safety.

I'm in the camp that a good holster covering the trigger and a drop-safe gun are safety enough (DA/SA decocked being safest possible due to no captive potential energy in the hammer/striker spring)

There are reasons to have more than one (not having all your eggs in one basket) but the gun you have should be comfortable enough to take to the range and everything I've carried has been to many matches as well. There are a lot of guys here that have a carry gun that's not fun to practice with and a range gun that's not safe to carry (light trigger, limited safetys, not drop-safe, too big)

Some striker fired guns have a striker cocked indicator. Really, if the gun isn't cocked after you rack it, it's not a gun you want to have, much less carry. There's only one gun I know of that can physically chamber a round without cocking the action (Walther CCP). I also prefer hammer fired but specifically DA/SA because you can decock and thumb over the hammer when holstering.
    A Sig Sauer 229 in 9mm or
    If he goes striker, a Sig Sauer M18.
    Striker with a great trigger, a safety, loaded indicator, factory nights.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Unfortunately I think you are going to get a million different answers to this. It all comes down to what you want and personal preference. I know that's a dumb answer.. but all modern handguns are good. If you don't like no safety and striker fire then don't get one.

Case in point, for me personally I struggle to carry anything other than a micro gun for EDC. The largest and heaviest gun that I am comfortable with is an LCP. Anything larger or heavier and it just bugs me.

And you say range pistol and potentially EDC? Again to me that's two different guns. For home protection and target shooting I have a full size gun. It's more accurate, higher capacity and less recoil. Again for EDC I have a micro.

Some people can manage the same for both purposes.. but it really comes down to your personal preference.
    Keep it simple 1911 and your good

MrSmiley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Columbus
    I spent a nice day looking at guns today. Handling more I am more comfortable with a striker fire system. Some that I look at have an indicator. I like that feature.

I like the idea of having a safety but having a dual trigger safety or a back strap type is okay as well. I don’t want one chambered and it goes off.

So I am liking the HK VP9. 1911 variants are good. I need to shoot a 1911.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I just got a deal I couldn't refuse on a Smith & Wesson csx, hammer fired, safety, single action and all metal construction. Trigger takes some getting used to, but once you do.......

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I spent a nice day looking at guns today. Handling more I am more comfortable with a striker fire system. Some that I look at have an indicator. I like that feature.

I like the idea of having a safety but having a dual trigger safety or a back strap type is okay as well. I don’t want one chambered and it goes off.

So I am liking the HK VP9. 1911 variants are good. I need to shoot a 1911.
    If you are considering striker fired now, then like mentioned above look at the sig P365 and M&P Shield's. Both excellent conceal carry EDC firearms. I can't speak for the Sig, but the Shield is fine at the range also. Though if you plan on pursuing shooting as a hobby/sport the Shield wouldn't be my first choice for consistent, higher volume range shooting.

I would have something larger for that.

Last edited:

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Well l am going to throw my 2 cents in. I have a 320c, a 226, and my go to gun is my vp-9. I have had the vp-9 for several years and I have shot usspa with it and it shoots better tHan I can. Lol
    I had to have back surgery and am very limited on what I can daily carry. I am edc a charter arms undercover in an iwb. Not a bullet hose but I hit what I aim at.
    all I can say is good luck and enjoy the ride. I will only buy ”one more gun” that is what I tell my wife.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    CZ 75 Compact (safety) or CZ PCR (decocker) or any other of the myriad of CZ75 variants.

We could list 100 other options but the CZ 75 line is tried and true.
    You can include the CZ P-07 in the list also. It’s one of the hidden gem's in the CZ realm.

MrSmiley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Columbus
    I’m hoping to get out this weekend and try the VP9. RUSA has on in the rental cabinet.

We’ll see what else they may have to try.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm not a 1911 guy, my EDC pistols are slim compact striker-fired 9mm with no manaul safety. But if I was going to go with one pistol that's both good as an EDC and good at the range, and I absolutely had to have a safety and a hammer, I'd probably go with a good midrange (in price) Commander sized 1911. Probably a Ruger SR1911 Commander or a Springfield Ronin. Not a fan of DA/SA, I like the same trigger pull every time.

Second that for a Ruger Commander 9mm....I want a LW model!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So EDC falls in categories that have different strengths and weaknesses.

1. DA/SA requires added effort in training some experts say it requires 25% more effort. How they get a percentage IDK. Advantage safety weakness DA/SA trigger pull.

2. SA Great trigger pull! Downside you need to train to defeat the safety under pressure. BBI had a great video of a guy fighting with the safety.

3. Striker fired decent trigger most have no safety. The S&W line is a exception. Kinda the standard nowadays easy to shoot under stress.

4. Revolver Heavy trigger pull limited capacity.
    Reliable and can be fired inside a pocket.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have the 45 version it’s had some work done to it by our armorer. Nothing extraordinary but it is lights out accurate and everything a side arm should be
    I have a .45 acp version...lights-out accurate is an understatement!
    I am simply wanting a 9mm version to go along with it!

ccfAYcZ.jpg

Reactions: wcd

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Congratulations on your choice of tools. One of my house guns is full-size P320. It goes bang every time. It puts bullets where I aim them. I love the striker fired aspect (same pull every time), and the minimal reset with positive tactile feedback. I find it easy to unload, quickly and accurately. It's no Glock 21, but what is? :cool:

PS: My P320 does not have a safety.

Top Bottom