• ...and so much more!
  • MrSmiley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Columbus
    Good afternoon all!!

Now that I’m getting back into things I am looking to get a modern pistol. I used to have a CZ-52 and was a fun pistol.

Now I’m looking for a good range pistol and potentially a EDC gun.

Some that I’m looking at are HK P30LS. Sig P230Max. Sig P226. CZ Shadow 2(Blue). And am really on the fence with the Sig P365 Macro. I have also considered a Canik

I’m really not feeling a striker hammer. And want to have a safety.

I haven’t had the chance yet to shoot the P320. I have the ability to at RUSA, but haven’t. I don’t have the opportunity for the HK.

I love the feel and how the Shadow shoots. The P226 Legion is great.

The Macro is good, especially with the Compensator. I just dislike the no safety and striker fire.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

5point9

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    Noblesville
    Unfortunately I think you are going to get a million different answers to this. It all comes down to what you want and personal preference. I know that's a dumb answer.. but all modern handguns are good. If you don't like no safety and striker fire then don't get one.

Case in point, for me personally I struggle to carry anything other than a micro gun for EDC. The largest and heaviest gun that I am comfortable with is an LCP. Anything larger or heavier and it just bugs me.

And you say range pistol and potentially EDC? Again to me that's two different guns. For home protection and target shooting I have a full size gun. It's more accurate, higher capacity and less recoil. Again for EDC I have a micro.

Some people can manage the same for both purposes.. but it really comes down to your personal preference.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just for clarification, what's a "striker hammer"?

You have the P320 listed which is striker fired. You also have a P226 which is hammer fired.

As to your choices, shoot as many as you can before you buy. All the ones you mentioned will be a solid choice. Buy the one you shoot the best.

Reactions: Leo

5point9

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    Noblesville

You have the P320 listed which is striker fired. You also have a P226 which is hammer fired.

As to your choices, shoot as many as you can before you buy. All the ones you mentioned will be a solid choice. Buy the one you shoot the best.
    Agree I was a little confused on this as well. Do you want striker or hammer fire? I used to be hammer guy all day long. But now it seems most if not all of mine are striker.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Striker-Hammer could be the new hotness in concealed carry. Just wait until the Phased-Plasma Rifle in the 40-Watt Range gets invented.

MrSmiley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Columbus
    I have the Sig P322. It feels great when I don’t have a dud. I am just on the fence about not being readily able to see if the hammer is ready or not.

I think it just comes down to shooting more Striker Fired pistols.

I am open to anything. And with the biggest take away at the moment if I need two guns, one for range and one for Carry makes sense.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have the Sig P322. It feels great when I don’t have a dud. I am just on the fence about not being readily able to see if the hammer is ready or not.

I am open to anything. And with the biggest take away at the moment if I need two guns, one for range and one for Carry makes sense.
    Find and shoot as many as possible. With proper handling/training, trusting the gun to do what it's supposed to do comes a lot easier. The plethora of fantastic and reliable guns is astounding. Finding the one that works best for you is the hard part.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Striker fired…. Hammer fired. The most important point is knowing at all times if your weapon has a chambered round. You showed interest in a great range of firearms… some splendid choices. Put yourself in the position to handle them etc….. but most important is knowing WHEN you have a loaded firearm.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

CZ 75 has enough variations to cover your needs.

P-01 has a rail. Comes with a decocker or get the Omega version and it has a safety.

CZ 75 compact for no rail

Alloy and steel frame options as well.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a 1911 variable now days. Hi-cap, lite weight, safety out the wazoo, hammer, small, yada, yada………

Reactions: Leo

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Not one pistol is going to tick all the boxes. Consider reliability, speed, accuracy, concealment, weight, and which is more important.

MrSmiley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Columbus
    Can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a 1911 variable now days. Hi-cap, lite weight, safety out the wazoo, hammer, small, yada, yada………
    What 1911 variant would you suggest? It’s been suggested to stay away from RockIsland and Springfield models.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Springfield makes great 1911s. Not sure who told you that but its dead wrong. I have heard RIA makes great 1911s too.Shoot all those squishy striker fired guns then try a 1911. I can almost guarantee you will at least have a appreciation for the trigger.If not the gun itself.. as for the variant get what feels best to you.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The 1911 does shoot better and is more accurate, and I prefer it to shoot. It's heavier, and the extra step of a safety. My carry is reliable, fast, a little less accurate, mid range conceilability, and doesn't feel like I'm carrying around a brick. It's not a perfect option, but I trust it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am separating the guns since Range / HD is a different pistol all together than a CCW gun. The Shadow 2 is a fantastic pistol though the safety is lacking IMHO, not positive at all, very small and hard to manipulate if you have regular sized hands. That was one of the first things I did to my Tactical Sport Orange was install an extra wide 1911 style safety to make it easier to actuate.

For a CCW pistol I recommend the P365X from SIG , it is cut for optics if you want to try that and comes with an option for safety, only downside is it is striker fired. I would also recommend looking at a Staccato P , big hammer fired 17+1 2011

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good afternoon all!!

Now that I’m getting back into things I am looking to get a modern pistol. I used to have a CZ-52 and was a fun pistol.

Now I’m looking for a good range pistol and potentially a EDC gun.

Some that I’m looking at are HK P30LS. Sig P230Max. Sig P226. CZ Shadow 2(Blue). And am really on the fence with the Sig P365 Macro. I have also considered a Canik

I’m really not feeling a striker hammer. And want to have a safety.

I haven’t had the chance yet to shoot the P320. I have the ability to at RUSA, but haven’t. I don’t have the opportunity for the HK.

I love the feel and how the Shadow shoots. The P226 Legion is great.

The Macro is good, especially with the Compensator. I just dislike the no safety and striker fire.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

A few years back, when I looked to go with a "modern pistol," and leave my 1911's behind, I picked the platform carried by most LEO, private carriers and trainers. The platform with the most market and aftermarket support for parts, options, gear, etc. The same gun/magazines that I'd most likely to find laying on the ground if SHTF. The same gun/magazines that could be replaced very quickly should it need be, by purchase or even borrowing from an INGOer.

I'll leave that alone though... ;)

What I would suggest, regardless of platform, is to train to not be dependant on the pistol needing a safety. Modern pistols have compounding internal safeties that protect from real accidents, such as dropping. If you feel you need the safety to keep from shooting yourself or others, again I'll mention training.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    What 1911 variant would you suggest? It’s been suggested to stay away from RockIsland and Springfield models.
    I don’t have the experience with mod. variations to give a qualified answer. Just know they are out there and they hit all your requirements.

Myself, I carry a revolver most times when I leave the property.

Lots of 1911 guys on here, much more qualified to answer.

edit: best of luck with your search.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I've been trying to help Smiley in his search as we live just across the highway from each other. He's looking for a gun to carry that doesn't suck to practice with. Preference to hammer fired w/ safety.

I'm in the camp that a good holster covering the trigger and a drop-safe gun are safety enough (DA/SA decocked being safest possible due to no captive potential energy in the hammer/striker spring)

There are reasons to have more than one (not having all your eggs in one basket) but the gun you have should be comfortable enough to take to the range and everything I've carried has been to many matches as well. There are a lot of guys here that have a carry gun that's not fun to practice with and a range gun that's not safe to carry (light trigger, limited safetys, not drop-safe, too big)

Some striker fired guns have a striker cocked indicator. Really, if the gun isn't cocked after you rack it, it's not a gun you want to have, much less carry. There's only one gun I know of that can physically chamber a round without cocking the action (Walther CCP). I also prefer hammer fired but specifically DA/SA because you can decock and thumb over the hammer when holstering.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For same trigger every time, polymer full size.......for carry and range toy.......Id look at a long slide HK VP9.
    If going steel rig, the new Springfield Hi Power.

The P30 is just a little less cool than it should be, w the trigger. Lazy Wolf help enough?

Top Bottom