Opinions on the Taurus 856 for daily carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I'm planning on getting a GP100 357mag at some point.

You won't regret that decision one bit. They are a very soft-shooting .357 Magnum, pretty easy to tune, and capable of handling a steady diet of any SAAMI-Spec load you might want to put through them. I love mine...honestly, I hate to admit it but it's probably a better gun overall than my pre-lock Model 66.
    There is a nice one in the classifieds :stickpoke:

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Several of you guys have nailed it. Speed of the trigger pull should have nothing to do with it. I filmed a slow pull so CS could easily see it didn't work. Their reply was just a total cop out because they didn't have the smarts enough to repair it properly. And they soaked me for shipping costs and a $50 bench fee to boot! So much for Taursus's warranty work and CS!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Several of you guys have nailed it. Speed of the trigger pull should have nothing to do with it. I filmed a slow pull so CS could easily see it didn't work. Their reply was just a total cop out because they didn't have the smarts enough to repair it properly. And they soaked me for shipping costs and a $50 bench fee to boot! So much for Taursus's warranty work and CS!
    Just out of curiosity, how long ago was it that you sent your gun in for work?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Nothing wrong with a 686. They're fantastic guns, and may have a few advantages (like more grip options) over the GP100. PSA had a 5" with Patridge sights on sale a week ago for $599, plus rebate, which was a smoking deal. Not sure if they're still running that or not. I almost bought one, but decided I don't really NEED another .357.

EDIT: sorry, it was a 6" for $699 + rebate, and it looks like they're still running it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w...7-magnum-revolver-satin-stainless-150844.html

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Nothing wrong with a 686. They're fantastic guns, and may have a few advantages (like more grip options) over the GP100. PSA had a 5" with Patridge sights on sale a week ago for $599, plus rebate, which was a smoking deal. Not sure if they're still running that or not. I almost bought one, but decided I don't really NEED another .357.

EDIT: sorry, it was a 6" for $699 + rebate, and it looks like they're still running it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w...7-magnum-revolver-satin-stainless-150844.html
    Thanks. I am looking for .357, heavy (36-40oz), stainless, 6-shot. Will check them out.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have a 3” SP101 (5 rnd, 38/357) I carry in an owb occasionally. great gun that I picked up used for around $400 a few years back. It does kick a bit with full magnum loads but is very managable but I rarely shoot more than 20 rounds of the hot stuff. Very accurate in my hands to about 30 ft offhand and can hit torsos at 25 yds supported. I usually carry with 38 sp + p SWC. GP100 4” is on my wish list.

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Both the GP100 and the 686 are great guns. None of mine have given me any issues at all. Both models are very strong (the GP100 is a tank) and both will handle full charge .357Mag loads. You can't go wrong between the two; you just have have to decide which one you like the feel of best.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    J Frames are cheap enough I don't see a reason to buy the J Frame At Home.

Whatever you buy, put a minimum 200 rounds through it and verify point of impact with the carry ammo.
    I concur...every pistol tends to shoot ammo just a tad bit differently so shoot a bunch of different manufacturers and various grains through it to see what it shoots best and then buy that ammo for that gun! I do that for every handgun I own!
    I had an 856 for a while...no complaints but sold it when I cut back on .38 revolvers, keeping just the S&W 360J (for quick pocket carry) and Ruger SP101 (3")...which has some sentimental value!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I ordered the 686 Plus, today. GP100 was very tempting, though. Too many Taurus QC horror stories out there.
    While scaring you off Taurus wasn't really the goal, I'm sure you'll be happy with that 686+...an L-Frame Smith or GP100 are both solid, reliable revolvers with years of respectable track record to stand behind them.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    While scaring you off Taurus wasn't really the goal, I'm sure you'll be happy with that 686+...an L-Frame Smith or GP100 are both solid, reliable revolvers with years of respectable track record to stand behind them.
    You didn't scare me away from Taurus. There is a bunch of available data readily accessible online. It was a judgement call on my part. Taurus 65 would more than likely be just fine; I just was not willing to risk it to save the $400+/-. I have a G21 that I don't have to worry about. I recently bought a SCCY CPX-2 that was a POS out of the box, several conversations w/CS and one trip for repairs, on top of almost 400 rounds of 9mm, and it was the same POS it started out as. I have a Kahr CM9 that I put 700 rounds through before I decided I could trust it. I have a Charter Arms Off Duty I just bought 2 weeks ago that fails miserably with MagTech ammo, but shoots everything else just fine. The big driver behind spending the money for a 686+ was to get a gun that just works.

cratz2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 25, 2023
    Central, IN
    I'm firmly in the small autoloader (G43, Shield, Kahr etc...) camp but back in the day, I carried a Taurus CHULT for pocket carry during the cold months and still have a 85 Ultra Lite that I sometimes carry when I don't want to wear a holster. These are usually during extremely low risk situations. Not that I am often in higher risk situations.

Both were perfect in terms of reliability though I probably didn't put more than 500 rounds through either one.

Top Bottom