• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    I was thinking about getting a Ruger LCP for my new EDC gun. I now carry a Glock 27, but it is sometimes to large to carry. So please give me your opinions from person experience. Thank you in advance for your time.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    great as a BUG or a pocket gun. .380 would not be my choice for a primary SD caliber. better than nothing of course, but it wouldnt be my EDC

like most of these guns, the trigger is pretty long and the LCP has some snap to it.

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    IMHO its a great ccw it has the knock down power you need with the compactness you also want. also very versitile as far as where to conceal as well. like iwb or ankle or pocket. great price too.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    I carry a LCP quit often. So far so good. I carry it in a Desanitis nemesis in my back pocket w/1 in the pipe. They are light, slim, and if need be deadly. The .380 imho is plenty for self defense, but some will disagree. I even bought my wife one and she loves it also.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    .380 is an anemic round at best....little better than .25 or .32. Obviously it is better than nothing though

I personally would feel much better with a j-frame revolver loaded with .38 sp +P than with any form of .380. ymmv

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have one and carry it frequently. Very accurate at self defense ranges, plus very reliable. Not a malfunction to speak of with several different types of ammo. Also they are very easy to conceal if your aim is to cc.

I am currently disgusted by the price of .380 ammo though with the recent price increase. I am in the process of eliminating my .380 ammo stash and will be switching to 9mm as my edc after it's gone.

So if the crazy price of .380 is not a problem for you then I say go for it. It's a good little gun!

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I'm with Quad on this one. Why pay more for a lesser round when many options are around for larger calibers in the same general size and price point. I have removed most .380 pistols from my want list because of this. Also LPMan is right. Why not do a .38 snubby? Same capacity, less issues with the wheelgun. Prints less CC too if you ask me.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I love the little gun. Especially in the summertime, its great to just slip into the pocket and go about your day. I carry a glock 26 most of the time, but on quick trips to the store, or extra hot days when I dont want to dress around my glock, the lcp is great for what it is.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I carry my LCP all of the time, sometimes it's a BUG, sometimes it's my primary (if I am wearing shorts or something.) anyway I think they are great little pocket pistols.

rtm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have an LCP that i mounted a crimson trace laser on, I think it is a great back up gun. The mag extensions are a must.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have one and it's my EDC. It's supprisingly accurate, very light for pocket carry, I have no prob's controlling it even with out the pinky extension and with a capacity of 6+1 I am very confident with it. I Think the accuracy is great, I can group the size of my fist at 15 feet. As far as ammo, I shoot Blazers thru it but for carry I use Remington Golden Sabres. Those Remingtons feed/extract just fine because of the rounded profile. Some will say "It's only a 380" but I wouldn't want to be a test subject. I really like mine and wouldn't part with it.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Take a look at the LC9. I just picked one up at the Indy 1500, and it's a neat little gun.

7+1 9mm, enough frame to get a decent grip, and the sights are adjustable. Lot of features for the size and price of the gun.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Great guns , wife and I both have one .

Of course I am no Internet ballistics expert that will tell you how the ".380" wont do the trick .:rolleyes:

I just sell guns for a living :D

I have had the LCP since it first came out and it has never failed me .

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have had an LCP for almost a year now. I love it for what it is, but it wont ever replace my 1911's. Sometimes it comes along in a pocket just to keep my EDC company.
    As far as looking at the LC-9, they are good pistols for what they are, but my wife recently picked up a S&W Bodyguard 380, because there were times when her PF-9 was still just a bit too big.

380 is not a .44, but its without a doubt better than many small pistol calibers. With a little practice, it should at the very least put a bad guy out of a fight long enough for you to clear the area. Fist size holes are always better, but I have yet to figure out a good way to conceal my PGO Winchester without wearing a full length jacket.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I have an LCP I carry anytime I cannot carry a 45.... and often carry it in addition to a 45 as a backup.

They are excellent pocket pistols and are very reliable.

As many have noted, the .380 is not as good as some other rounds for stopping a thug. However, some of this can be compensated for by using hollow points and +P loads.

Frankly, I will take a .380 over a .25 or .32 any day of the week.... and anything is better than nothing.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I don't have the biggest hands around, but I found the Ruger LCP too small even for mine. I went with the KelTec PF9 instead. Cheaper, great palm fit and chambered for 9mm Luger. Paired with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, it's been a great warm weather concealed carry handgun.

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    I have been ccing the LCP for about 2 yrs. now in a Recluse pocket holster, and I likes it just fine. When you need it it's there and ready. I very rarely even notice it's presence in my front pants pocket and so far neither has anyone else.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Had mine for some time, over 600 trouble-free rounds through it. Wish i had it when I was active, would have fit great in the trauma shield pouch of a vest. Used it last month for a retired-LEOSA shoot, along with a Glock 19 and a S&W M&P340. The LCP isn't that great at 25 yards, but good enough to pass. Fits great in a pocket holster.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . it is sometimes to large to carry. . .

I understand there are times and reasons for a small carry gun (i.e. nonpermissible environments, certain attire you have to wear, etc.), but if this is just because you don't want to be inconvenienced, that's another story.

If that's the case, suck it up and be glad you live in a day when handguns can be made lighter with a healthy dose of polymer (and maybe try a better belt and holster).

Why Not Carry the Big Gun?, by Steve Collins - SurvivalBlog.com

For those situations where you absolutely need something smaller, the LCP is better than nothing and one of the better pocket pistols.

Top Bottom