• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I'm selling this gun on behalf of a deceased friend's estate but know almost nothing about WWII firearms. Actually it's part of a larger collection I intend to sell to an estate buyer. I have an opinion but I'd like to hear from someone with more knowledge.

The gun is stamped MOD.98 so I think it's a Gewehr 98. The modal 98 did overlap the early Nazi period and there is a small Nazi eagle and swastika stamped on the receiver. Nobody knows where my friend got the gun but it's likely he didn't pay much for it and may have never noticed the Nazi stamp.

Obviously the stock isn't original and the barrel has either been replaced or cut short. Either way both the front and rear site or gone., I think the receiver and the stamp may be authentic but the gun is of no real interest to a collector. The rifling is okay and the trigger feels about right. I'm going to have a gunsmith check the headspace and then I'll shoot it. Assuming it shoots OK I think the value is that of a heavy old 8mm rifle- perhaps $250???

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

1673979011518.png

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looks like a sporterized K98 Mauser yes, there should information on top of the receiver in front of the bolt that shows who made it etc, provided it shoots ok $250 would be a decent deal. Whatever military value is gone so enjoy a nice bolt gun for cheap!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Unfortunately its been sporterized and value has sunk accordingly. I put my vote in for value about $250-300 depending on final "look-see" regarding overall condition. My :twocents:

Ross Rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Columbia City
    A couple of things about your Mauser: Mod 98 was the standard siderail marking of the K98, not the GEW 98. I would be surprised if it is still chambered in 8mm Mauser, as an original barrel would be approximately 24" in length and be stepped, not tapered. Not to mention the chamber portion of the barrel does not appear to have the step where it meets the receiver ring, and the chamber area appears larger in diameter. Depending on caliber it would make a great deer rifle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A couple of things about your Mauser: Mod 98 was the standard siderail marking of the K98, not the GEW 98. I would be surprised if it is still chambered in 8mm Mauser, as an original barrel would be approximately 24" in length and be stepped, not tapered. Not to mention the chamber portion of the barrel does not appear to have the step where it meets the receiver ring, and the chamber area appears larger in diameter. Depending on caliber it would make a great deer rifle.
    Plus I don't see any evidence that the original sights were removed, so definitely not the original military barrel.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    There is no telling what caliber the rifle could be in. If it was converted in Germany after the war they were not allowed to use any military calibers and had to chamber them in civilian calibers. It has definitely been re-barreled, have the gunsmith check the cambering while you are there and have fun, it should be a good shooter.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Your price range is about right. Nazi marked guns command a premium, and that one appears in very nice shape, but unfortunately it's been quite modified. It happened a couple decades ago judging by that mount. 8mm is most likely but it needs to be checked.

Better mount and modern glass and it's probably a great hunting rifle, but a poor candidate for restoration to a military rifle.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    As others have said I also agree with the $250-300 price. I would possibly remove the stock to see if there is a caliber marking on the barrel in a place you can't see. I've found markings on a similar k98 before that was rebarreled to 6.5x55 on the underside of the barrel.

360willys

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2019
    South Bend
    It isn't worth a ton because they sporterized it like everyone said. If you figure out the caliber that would be a damn good and reliable firearm for hunting.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I actually put a value on one this past summer for a neighbor, it had a original german sniper scope and ring set up, original barrel that had been turned down to a taper, and was restocked with a engraved fancy stock. the value on that one was in the scope and mounts actual rifle had less value without.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Personally I’d put the value at $400-$500. The level of work is significantly higher quality than the typical Bubba conversion that is all too common. The scope, while not top end is better than a $99 Walmart scope.

The big question is determining the chambering. Look carefully on the barrel in front of the receiver for a stamping. If you don’t see one, definitely have a chamber casting.

I own a sporterized Springfield that was very well done and have been watching gun shows and auctions for other similar rifles lately and prices seem to be rising quickly on well built conversions.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    It's a well done sporter and would hold a higher value than the typical Bubba job. $400-$500 it what I would value it at. Some calibers bring a higher price. I would go to GunBroker and search 98 Mauser and see what people are getting for similar rifles. Do not go by the auction asking price, but where the bids are at the end of the auction.

I had a similar rifle 10 or so years ago the was chambered in 30-06 and was a great hunting rifle. I think I sold it for around $400.

Top Bottom