• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codydugger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    avon,in
    Does anyone know who I would contact to find out how indiana handles North Carolina hand gun laws, because in NC you only need a purchase permit to buy a hand gun, but can open carry without a permit.

codydugger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    avon,in
    everything i found online says indiana honors North Carolina gun permits, but they dont actually have one for open carry, so what would my brother need to be able to open carry here in indiana when he comes to visit?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Does anyone know who I would contact to find out how indiana handles North Carolina hand gun laws, because in NC you only need a purchase permit to buy a hand gun, but can open carry without a permit.

I don't know if you need to contact any particular person, but you can start investigating Indiana law on the internet. Here is a start for you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    everything i found online says indiana honors North Carolina gun permits, but they dont actually have one for open carry, so what would my brother need to be able to open carry here in indiana when he comes to visit?

Oh, okay, he would not be required to open carry, but he could open carry if that is his preference.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He will need whatever carry permit North Carolina issues, if that's where he's from or a license or permit from another state recognized in Indiana.

He can not open carry in Indiana without a recognized license or permit.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    IN law doesn't require you to carry in any specific fashion. The choice is yours to make. As long as he has a license to carry from his home state it is acceptable here.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    You must carry in compliance with the laws of both states, Indiana requires a LTCH for either open or concealed carry. Since IN requires a LTCH for open carry, a NC resident must have a NC concealed carry permit and MUST carry concealed in Indiana to be compliant. Open carry in Indiana is not an option for a NC resident.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You must carry in compliance with the laws of both states, Indiana requires a LTCH for either open or concealed carry. Since IN requires a LTCH for open carry, a NC resident must have a NC concealed carry permit and MUST carry concealed in Indiana to be compliant. Open carry in Indiana is not an option for a NC resident.
    :scratch:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Clarification:
    To legally carry a handgun in Indiana, an Indiana resident needs a LTCH.
    Indiana honors all other state PERMITS.
    The only PERMIT issued in NC is the concealed carry permit. Since the permit specifically states CONCEALED, the weapon MUST be conceal when carried in Indiana.
    I understood it, however that is the first time I've heard that interpretation. Can you cite the IC which requires it?

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Clarification:
    To legally carry a handgun in Indiana, an Indiana resident needs a LTCH.
    Indiana honors all other state PERMITS.
    The only PERMIT issued in NC is the concealed carry permit. Since the permit specifically states CONCEALED, the weapon MUST be conceal when carried in Indiana.

I believe this is right. I can't remember where I've seen that, except that it had to be on here.

Um... Indiana does recognize NC permits, but NC only has concealed carry permits... and the last I remember they were issued per weapon or some such thing.

But if you don't have a CCW from NC, then you can't carry.

Disclosure: I heard that bit about per weapon is from my mom when she was registering for her CCW in NC, where I am native.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I understood it, however that is the first time I've heard that interpretation. Can you cite the IC which requires it?

IC 35-47-2-21

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and license
    s to carry handguns issued by other states

35-47-2-21 Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses is
    sued by other states or foreign countries will
    not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at
    wh
    olesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other
    states or foreign countries, will be recognized
    according to the terms thereof but only while the
    h
    olders are not residents of Indiana.

jmb1031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Muncie, IN
    I concur with what everyone else is saying. Unless the issuing state permit is open carry, you cannot open carry in Indiana, it must be concealed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I believe this is right. I can't remember where I've seen that, except that it had to be on here.

Um... Indiana does recognize NC permits, but NC only has concealed carry permits... and the last I remember they were issued per weapon or some such thing.

The phrase is "according to the terms thereof":
    IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
    Many arguments have taken place on INGO regarding the meaning of that phrase. I am of the opinion that it means exactly what it says: You can only carry according to the terms of your carry permit. For example, if your permit says that you may only carry the pistol with serial number X12345 (like New York's permit does), then you can only carry that pistol. If it says you may only carry concealed, then you may only carry concealed. If it says you may only carry on Tuesdays while wearing a blue hat, well then you better not be caught carrying on a Wednesday, and you had better have appropriate headgear affixed.

That said, many people make the very compelling argument that many LEO barely know Indiana's gun laws, let alone how another state might handle its gun laws or permit language and are unlikely to attempt to catch you out on such a technicality. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been tested in court.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The phrase is "according to the terms thereof":
    Many arguments have taken place on INGO regarding the meaning of that phrase. I am of the opinion that it means exactly what it says: You can only carry according to the terms of your carry permit. For example, if your permit says that you may only carry the pistol with serial number X12345 (like New York's permit does), then you can only carry that pistol. If it says you may only carry concealed, then you may only carry concealed. If it says you may only carry on Tuesdays while wearing a blue hat, well then you better not be caught carrying on a Wednesday, and you had better have appropriate headgear affixed.

That said, many people make the very compelling argument that many LEO barely know Indiana's gun laws, let alone how another state might handle its gun laws or permit language and are unlikely to attempt to catch you out on such a technicality. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been tested in court.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Top Bottom