• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone taken it?

Thinking about popping for it and doing it so I can utilize it as requirement for the Arizona non-resident gun permit/license.

I did look up on their (DNR's) site to see if they could find record of me previously taking it. Surprise surprise, the old records are there. They are, however, approaching 20 years old. I don't know how the folks in AZ would appreciate a mid-30-something guy submitting almost 20-year old Hunter's Ed. course completion with their packet...

-J-

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    I took it. It is really easy - just a little time consuming. There is a timer for each page so you can't just skip ahead to take the test. It can be done in a weekend easily. I did mine in one sitting, but I'm a glutton for that sort of punishment...

It is an inexpensive way to fill the requirements. Sure, the FTF classes are free, but you have to fit it in to your schedule. The online version will remember your place and you can do it at your leisure.

I say go for it!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Indy Guy, I believe it is a lifetime certification. No need to retake. Reprint your cert and you're GTG. My records are 25 years old, and my cert was good for a special game hunt. I'm not sure if it qualifies for AZ, but it sounds like it does, because it is definitely a firearms safety course that is recognized widely.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I took Hunter's Ed in 7th grade, but mine doesn't show up in their records.

My youngest went through the online course and it was pretty good.

But don't think you can just click your way through it, each section is timed.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I took Hunter's Ed in 7th grade, but mine doesn't show up in their records.

My youngest went through the online course and it was pretty good.

But don't think you can just click your way through it, each section is timed.

It should show up, unless maybe you're a lot older than I am, and there is a cutoff date, or maybe they spelled your name wrong. Here is the link to search and reprint your Hunter Safety card:

https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/dnr_huntered/dnr_huntered_ia

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just don't want to take the time to fill out the AZ package only to have it denied due to my age + the age of the certification.

Honestly, if I were an examiner, I'd probably not want to accept 20 year old hunter education documentation on a not-yet-35 year old applicant.

Then, if it IS denied...I'll have to start the timeline over again.

I may very well just pony up the $20 and the hours to take the course online "just to be sure". :n00b:

-J-

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Sounds like it would be worth the time and money in your situation. Just prepare for a long boaring sit in front of the computer. I sat through it to help my brother inlaw take it last fall thinking it would only take a few hours. WRONG. We started around 9 pm hoping to get it done, print off the certs, and be ready to pick up his liscense in the morning. We sat up for the test till about 3 or 4 in the morning. Makes for a long day of hunting the next day.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Hunters Ed

I took the course a couple months ago online. It was a thorough course and well orchestrated. It does however take a few hours of your time. I took it in one sitting and was glad when it was over. It took about three weeks to get my card in the mail however you get a certificate online that is printable upon completion.

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    netsecurity, the IN DNR certificate is recognized as proper training for the AZ requirement. I called to verify that it would before I sent for my AZ non-resident permit packet. I sent a copy of my Hunter Safety card in with my application and received my permit in four weeks.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    netsecurity, the IN DNR certificate is recognized as proper training for the AZ requirement. I called to verify that it would before I sent for my AZ non-resident permit packet. I sent a copy of my Hunter Safety card in with my application and received my permit in four weeks.

^ Right there is your answer. Pay the $5, or whatever, to print out your lost card, and you're good to go Indy Guy!

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anyone taken it?

Thinking about popping for it and doing it so I can utilize it as requirement for the Arizona non-resident gun permit/license.

I did look up on their (DNR's) site to see if they could find record of me previously taking it. Surprise surprise, the old records are there. They are, however, approaching 20 years old. I don't know how the folks in AZ would appreciate a mid-30-something guy submitting almost 20-year old Hunter's Ed. course completion with their packet...

-J-
    I took it last year. It's fun, I spend 3-4 hours/day for 2 days to finish it. I took it when I was planning on taking AZ non resident permit.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I had boaters ed, and I thought hunters ed in middle school in like 97. Its not showing up. Didn't really want to pay 20 bucks. Kind of defeats the purpose. Maybe just take a defensive pistol course or something.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I took it. It is really easy - just a little time consuming. There is a timer for each page so you can't just skip ahead to take the test. It can be done in a weekend easily. I did mine in one sitting, but I'm a glutton for that sort of punishment...

It is an inexpensive way to fill the requirements. Sure, the FTF classes are free, but you have to fit it in to your schedule. The online version will remember your place and you can do it at your leisure.

I say go for it!

I took it recently so I can hunt of Fort Rucker. they require a hunter ed course and I'm too busy to designate a full day to their class down here. I went online, spend a few days on and off and then got to print the card at the end. About a week later I got the actualy cert card in the mail.

While I knew just about all the info in the course, there were a few things I learned and/or had forgotten. It sucked sitting through the course, but all it all it was worth it for the end result. I get plenty of acres to hunt on now and I don't have to leave post!

Top Bottom