• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No, it was already weird. I just alluded to one of the earlier posts where one suggested giving a jar to the guy who wants a thumb safety. If the line troubles you, I will happily delete it. No problem.

Nah, just teasing about the fact that the conversation is all "man cards", and "cajones" and "1911s"...
    I don't think any of you (save 88GT) are woman enough to handle a 1911. :D
    And reloading is for girls, too.
    :popcorn:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Ok, i'm not quoting anyone directly, but wowza. I really didn't intend this to be a "glock going off" thread. He feels this way about any non manual saftey semi auto. If it will get him to carry chambered, i'm all for him jumping to something with a thumb safety. I simply just don't comprehend his "logic" of the danger of the gun going off. He has a quality fitted holster. He's carried every day for many years. In my opinion he is not comfortable with the gun.
    I don't nomally argue with people like this, but in his situation, he carries for one reason. - the convenience store clerk scenerio.
    I've told him for a long time that he was effin nuts if he thought he was going to draw and rack before he got shot by the BG if one came in armed to rob the store.
    I can also guarantee he has never, ever tried to draw and shoot in any way. :rolleyes:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I don't nomally argue with people like this, but in his situation, he carries for one reason. - the convenience store clerk scenerio.
    I've told him for a long time that he was effin nuts if he thought he was going to draw and rack before he got shot by the BG if one came in armed to rob the store.
    I can also guarantee he has never, ever tried to draw and shoot in any way. :rolleyes:

a Force on Force class will let him try out these scenarios. :twocents:

They're good classes that everyone should take.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ok, i'm not quoting anyone directly, but wowza. I really didn't intend this to be a "glock going off" thread. He feels this way about any non manual saftey semi auto. ...

Would he be open to a DA/SA semiauto without a safety? Example: Classic SIG P series, or similar.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We have a neighbor that doesn't carry with one chambered, says he knows he can chamber it fast enough. :rolleyes: Since the guy is a moron, and often points his gun where he shouldn't, most of us who have the misfortune of knowing him are kind of glad!

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I do not carry with one chambered. I have a 4 year old boy in the house and sometimes when I kick back after work he likes to come and jump on me. Call me what you want I do not care. I carry so I have the oppurtunity to protect myself and my family, not to put them at risk.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There is a certain amount of unease among many with pistols, yet that same unease doesn't exist with revolvers. Unless you carry the revolver unloaded, there is always "one in the chamber".

That being said, there is generally a very low probability that you'll ever be in a gun battle as a civilian where you wouldn't have time to rack a slide. If you are, I hope your reaction time is better than your judgement. S*** happens, but it generally happens for a reason.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    for a long time my buddy refused to carry a round in the chamber of his glock but I can understand his hesitance, when he and his wife were just dating he took her to the range and she (thinking she'd be funny or something) went to take his G26 from his hip holster and wound up shooting him through the meaty part of his ass. He did wind up marrying her anyway so she must be doing something else right ;)

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    for a long time my buddy refused to carry a round in the chamber of his glock but I can understand his hesitance, when he and his wife were just dating he took her to the range and she (thinking she'd be funny or something) went to take his G26 from his hip holster and wound up shooting him through the meaty part of his ass. He did wind up marrying her anyway so she must be doing something else right ;)

True love happens "in spite of," not "because of."

That is my sappy thought for the week.

But at least he knew his potential wife was a pain in the arse before he married her.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I didn't read all the posts, perhaps it was covered here but I know it was covered in another thread I read a while back..

"Would you carry a revolver with an empty cylinder?"

Possibly the most reasonable argument I've heard about carrying Condition 1 (round in chamber). By design, the firearm will not fire in any way unless the trigger is moved by an external object (finger, branch, pen, etc..) due to the internal lock and functional design of the weapon. It might be because he's not comfortable with it, which is kind of worrying, but he should carry how he's most comfortable doing so.

I read the 21ft drills, which is definitely a good call, but if he doesn't get that safety disengaged somehow, he'll need a solid 35 feet or more. Get him to train/practice, dry-fire/snap-in more and he should be more confident with himself and his handling of firearms.

3rd Weapon Safety Rule (Per USMC):
    Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I don't understand why you would want to force your friend to do something he is uncomfortable with.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I didn't read all the posts. When dealing with a firearm being comfortable in the way you carry is important. If your friend doesn't feel comfortable carrying chambered then try to educate and get him to the point where he is comfortable with it. If he doesn't come around then that's his choice but at least you tried.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    A buddy of mine doesn't carry chambered. He said "the sound of racking the slide will scare them." To each his own.

Maybe he's a movie buff? Seriously, that's delusional. I thought mentally unsound people were prohibited from carrying guns.

Sure, when three thugs run up on you, and start swinging, the "sound of racking the slide" will scare 'em away. Seriously, it's just as bad as the things the antigunners believe.

Also, just a personal thing, but I think manual safeties are the single most dangerous thing to have on a defensive firearm. This is the reason that I hate 1911s so much. I prefer striker guns, but I have carried a DA/SA. I like having a consistent trigger pull, so for me, DAO is the only way to go, and if there's a manual safety anywhere on it, get it away from me, I don't want anything to do with it.

Oh, and if I ever felt like carrying with an empty chamber, I'd just put a 16 oz. ball peen hammer in my holster. It'd be more effective.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    People who carry a semi auto without one in the pipe should also carry a revolver one round short, with the cylinder positioned so the empty one is the next one 'up'. Might change a perspective or two.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    When I first started to carry, I did not carry one in the chamber. As I became more comfortable with my XD and carrying it, I eventually started carrying it "ready to fire". It's all about your comfort level. Everyone should do what's best for them.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    When I first started to carry, I did not have carry one in the chamber. As I became more comfortable with my XD and carrying it, I eventually started carrying it "ready to fire". It's all about your comfort level. Everyone should do what's best for them.

Not trying to preach, but how does putting yourself at a less ready status help your comfort level?

Do people not wear seat belts because they think they can buckle it before an impact? Total lunacy.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    Not trying to preach, but how does putting yourself at a less ready status help your comfort level?

Do people not wear seat belts because they think they can buckle it before an impact? Total lunacy.

To each their own. What works for you might not work for everyone else. I took me a couple weeks to feel comfortable with my firearm before I started carrying it in a ready state. In that time I was getting used to carrying my new firearm. It was my first pistol and I did not feel comfortable..no more no less.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Would he be open to a DA/SA semiauto without a safety? Example: Classic SIG P series, or similar.
    I mentioned it, and i think it's out of his budget or he doesn't like the looks or something... not sure.
    I do not carry with one chambered. I have a 4 year old boy in the house and sometimes when I kick back after work he likes to come and jump on me. Call me what you want I do not care. I carry so I have the oppurtunity to protect myself and my family, not to put them at risk.
    I was specifically NOT talking about at home. As mentioned, a convenience store robbery situation.

To all the "mind your own business" & "don't tell somebody what to do" posters, I genuinely care about this person and he is in fact from a logical and real tactical standpoint screwing himself over. Even though, i'm not telling him what to do. I am arguing my point as to why i think a different method is superior for his specific circumstane. :dunno:

Top Bottom