• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    We hate for anyone to tell us if we can have guns or not but we get hung up about who open carries or conceals or if there's one in the chamber or if its a glock...

Really need to make sure if you're stuff is wired tight and not worry about the other guy.

This exactly. I don't care if you conceal carry an LCP or an M4. I also don't care if you openly carry that same LCP or M4. We need to stop worrying about others that are perfectly within the law. This applies to much more than firearms.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    There doesn't need to be. I won't carry anything with a safety, because I see it as an addition step, an additional part, an additional obstacle.

If someone tries to grab my Glock from the holster, they either get knifed in the arm and face, or shot with the BUG (also chambered, no safety, if you were wondering).

A South Bend officer was asking me about the Ka-Bar TDI I carry. He told me he had a guy try to grab his gun, and he didn't have a knife to stop him. He told me if he had had a knife like that on him, the guy wouldn't be alive today.

It is unlikely that someone would grab your gun. To carry empty because of that, is foolish.

I'll tell you what. I offer this to anyone carrying with an empty chamber. You get in your vehicle, no seat belt. Drive at 80 MPH at a tree, and when you're 30 feet away, put your seat belt on. That's what you're doing anyway.

You claimed that safeties are dangerous and/or fail but now you are telling me that you don't have anything to back up that claim but your opinion?

So, someone grabs your ready to fire weapon and you can get your knife/bug out and stop them before they shoot you? Yeah, that is as likely to happen as me being able to pass a 21 foot drill without one in the pipe.

If someone could grab my seat belt and hurt another person with it, I might drive around with the belt off. You are comparing unrelated safety devices. Besides, there are many cases where someone wearing a belt dies because they can't remove it and escape the vehicle.

I would like to add that I open carry. I would think that alone reduces my chances of being assaulted. I spend too much time around children to feel comfortable keeping a round chambered. Although, I have started to trust the thumb safety on this gun and may start carrying one in the pipe now. If the next gun I buy doesn't have a safety, I'll carry it ready to fire if the holster I have has a decent retention device.

I would hope with your strong opinions about being ready that you carry a fire extinguisher around on your person all the time. You might be stuck on the wrong side of a fire and not be able to get to it in time. Make sure you leave the pin out to so you can use it right away.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Asides from when I have my pistol out of the holster for storage, the time I mostly love having a safety is when holstering. I've seen too many cops and youtuber's shoot themselves in the leg while inserting into the holster, either by their finger, or by their shirt getting caught on the trigger. This is especially important to me for my carry pistol, since I wear it always, and sometimes have to take it in and out of the holster, and sometimes I have to put it in the holster while sitting in the car (to be discreet when their are people around). The safety not only makes me feel safer, but it does make such operations safer without a doubt. Of course I keep one in the chamber, otherwise, I'd just clear it every time before holstering.

I carry an M&P9C w/thumb safety, which I have widdled down as small as it would go for comfort. But the M&P safety I really like because whenever I grip the pistol my thumb deactivates it without any effort. It isn't anything like a decocker/safety--those are difficult to disengage comparatively, and I only use those for decocking, not as a safety (unless in storage).

PS, I also have an M&P full size, as well as a PPQ, both of which have no safety. I am not against DAO without a safety, but I very, very much PREFER the safety on the gun I handle the most.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You claimed that safeties are dangerous and/or fail but now you are telling me that you don't have anything to back up that claim but your opinion?

A number of things can happen. Debris can get lodged under your safety, making operation impossible. A part can be worn or break, making operation impossible. This applies to more than safeties, but my point is that it is another, unnecessary part that can fail. Basic maintenance will prevent this, but not everyone keeps up on that, and we all know it.

So, someone grabs your ready to fire weapon and you can get your knife/bug out and stop them before they shoot you? Yeah, that is as likely to happen as me being able to pass a 21 foot drill without one in the pipe.
    By the time they get it out, yes. A level II retention holster (at a minimum) paired with situational awareness helps out. I don't let people that close to me, and if I do, I pay extra attention, and my arm is in contact with my handgun. If someone tries anything, I'll have enough time to react.

I would like to add that I open carry. I would think that alone reduces my chances of being assaulted. I spend too much time around children to feel comfortable keeping a round chambered. Although, I have started to trust the thumb safety on this gun and may start carrying one in the pipe now. If the next gun I buy doesn't have a safety, I'll carry it ready to fire if the holster I have has a decent retention device.
    I open carry as well, I agree that it reduces the chance of being assaulted. It still doesn't justify carrying an empty gun.

I don't get what being around children has to do with anything. We're talking about safeties here. For me, it's an additional part that is unnecessary.

You not trusting your safety is another example that proves my point. Thank you.

I would hope with your strong opinions about being ready that you carry a fire extinguisher around on your person all the time. You might be stuck on the wrong side of a fire and not be able to get to it in time. Make sure you leave the pin out to so you can use it right away.
    Speaking of leaving the pin out, it's a common practice in infantry to remove the safety devices on hand grenades, and tape the spoons down to be able to use them faster.

I don't see anything wrong with taking the pins out of your fire extinguishers, or hand grenades. You aren't sacrificing safety, and you can deploy these items more quickly.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    You can use the debris argument against having a cocked hammer, bad choice.

Your bug is easier to get to than your primary? That seems odd. There is nothing wrong with being confident in your ability but still knowing you can be fouled but you sound arrogant to me.

Who said anything about carrying an empty gun? An empty gun implies to me that it is incapable of firing since it has no rounds in it at all. Maybe you haven't spent much time around children but I can bet you even a Navy Seal can be surprised by and lose track of the children in a room when there are 30-40 of them. I should rephrase, I trust the safety as a functional device, but it is my ability to use it and the fact that I know now that it won't disengage on its' own that I trust. The safety faces my body and I wasn't sure if it would stay on with body movement and my son climbing on me all the time. It has never been flipped off on its' own and it takes time to discover that. This is my first handgun (besides the one I used in the Navy) that I carry with me everywhere I go. Even in the Navy they made us leave the safety on and the damn thing was hard to reach on that Beretta.

Leaving the pin out of the extinguisher is just asking for it to be discharged by mistake when someone simply tries to move it. If you live alone I guess that doesn't matter, but most of us I would say don't live alone. So, taking the pin out of a grenade doesn't make it less safe? Got any other bad ideas?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Your bug is easier to get to than your primary? That seems odd. There is nothing wrong with being confident in your ability but still knowing you can be fouled but you sound arrogant to me.

Who said anything about carrying an empty gun? An empty gun implies to me that it is incapable of firing since it has no rounds in it at all.

When did I say my BUG was easier to get to? It's quick to access, but not easier.

To me, if it isn't chambered, it's empty. It is incapable of firing in that state.

Seems most people forget about the safety between their ears. Also, I do not live alone, I live with people with common sense, which does not include children, so I don't feel the need to childproof everything.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I hardly ever leave one in the chamber. I don't have anything against people who do, but like many have said ,its all how you are trained and what feels better for you. I can pull my XDs and chamber one before I aim, that's how I train, and if by some unfortunate luck I'm a lil to slow, well guess that's my problem, like the guy who shoots his foot off pulling out his chambered gun.

Bonecrusher225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    I work part time in a liquor store and always CC when I am working. I carry an XD with a round in the chamber. I personally do not like or own a Glock just because of the safety issue. I feel the grip safety on the XD provides an added safety measure without making the weapon any harder to fire in a stressful situation. IMHO

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I work part time in a liquor store and always CC when I am working. I carry an XD with a round in the chamber. I personally do not like or own a Glock just because of the safety issue. I feel the grip safety on the XD provides an added safety measure without making the weapon any harder to fire in a stressful situation. IMHO

Glocks have three safeties.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    When did I say my BUG was easier to get to? It's quick to access, but not easier.

To me, if it isn't chambered, it's empty. It is incapable of firing in that state.

Seems most people forget about the safety between their ears. Also, I do not live alone, I live with people with common sense, which does not include children, so I don't feel the need to childproof everything.

If someone pulls your primary out and you can get to your bug faster than they can fire your ready-to-fire primary, that seems to me that your bug would be easier to get to. Unless you are claiming to be at least twice as fast as your ordinary human.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Rule-2.jpg

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    If someone pulls your primary out and you can get to your bug faster than they can fire your ready-to-fire primary, that seems to me that your bug would be easier to get to. Unless you are claiming to be at least twice as fast as your ordinary human.

If someone can get out my gun, then I'm screwed. If someone touches the gun and has their wrist pinned to my side, I can get to my knife or BUG faster. It's all about context. I can react faster than someone can get the gun out. I hope so, anyway.

I don't plan on letting anyone get that close to me. My forearm is always in contact with the firearm when there are people close to me. I don't see how anyone can get it out of the holster without a serious fight with me.

Top Bottom