Status
    Not open for further replies.

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    So, this was starting to get discussed in another thread, but I felt that it deserved its own.

When you carry, do you have one chambered? Or do you not chamber a round?

If you don't have one ready to go, why not?

I've always carried with one chambered, never really thought about not carrying with a round in...so I'm just curious why some choose the other route?

:popcorn:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    When I carry my 1911, I carry locked and cocked.

When I carry my EDC Sig Sauer P239, I carry one in the chamber and the hammer decocked ( DA/SA ). I agree with shooter, why carry if your firearm isn't ready in a moments notice. Obtrusive safties or racking the slide is just too much to think about when your mind is in panic mode.

Besides, any most well-made firearms are designed to carry with one in the chamber, pretty safe if you ask me.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I always carry with one in the chamber. I also make sure I carry my guns in good holsters that cover the trigger. Even my pocket guns are carried with one in the chamber. Again, the key is to have a good pocket holster that protects the trigger from accidents.

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    I agree with all of the above. If I'm not going to carry one in the chamber then it's just a piece of metal (or whatever) that I could beat you with. I have always got a holster that covers the trigger, I'm not taking any chances, especially when I'm carrying at the 11-12 o'clock position!

Just waiting to see what the other side of the story is...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Always one in the pipe but at first I was afraid to do that, I have no safety on my M&P 9mm but I got used to it fast. You just need a good holster with a proper cover over the trigger.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I never carry a chambered auto unless it has a thumb safety. Just a weird personal thing based on no hard evidence just personal opinion. That said I mostly carry a revolver so that doesn't really matter for me most of the time. :D

It takes .5 seconds to rack the slide and personally its worth the time for me. Not saying its not for others but im weird like that. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I never carry a chambered auto unless it has a thumb safety. Just a weird personal thing based on no hard evidence just personal opinion. That said I mostly carry a revolver so that doesn't really matter for me most of the time. :D

It takes .5 seconds to rack the slide and personally its worth the time for me. Not saying its not for others but im weird like that. :D

Just wondering if you know how much distance toward you that someone bent on doing you harm can cover in .5 seconds?

Now pretend that this is happening and you have your other arm occupied with a child...or a briefcase...bag of groceries...holding your sig. other's hand...

Or you're blind sided and hurt your off hand in a fall...

Or are otherwise indisposed with your off hand; say you sprain your wrist playing tag football or break your collar bone in a bike wreck...

How in the world would you (generic "you", not you specifically) ever rack the slide to chamber a round?

All modern semi-automatic pistols were designed to be carried with a round chambered. And as such, I carry with a loaded chamber.

The ONLY way I wouldn't would be if I were to somehow carry an older revolver without a transfer bar.

There are just too many variables involved in a potential self defense situation for me to not carry chambered. Just a few of them I've posed above.

Carrying a firearm isn't some kind of magic talisman that'll keep me safe from harm. It is a tool that might very well keep me safe. And I'll be danged sure that I'll give myself any advantage that I can.

22lr, I promise that I'm not picking on you specifically (much...:n00b:)

-J-

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    No worries Indy_guy_77

Its just a personal thing, no real support, just Im not 100% with it yet. I have nothing wrong with the idea its just not for me per say. I guess its just as younger guy and haven't been un-indoctrinated by the firearms safety I had a kid. Just a weird personal thing that I just do out of habit/teaching. But im making progress, im carrying it with a mag loaded these days. Next will be fully locked and loaded. :)

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I've been reading these forums for several months now and for some reason just hadn't registered until now. I bought a Glock 26 on my 21st birthday, last September, and have carried it nearly every day since then, but I've never carried one in the chamber. I'd like to, if it had a safety. For my 22nd birthday I picked up a Judge Public Defender and I've carried that for a little over a month now with 00 Buckshot/Slug ammo and I am totally comfortable carrying the Judge, which is basically the same thing as the Glock 26 with one in the chamber, since it's a revolver with a full trigger pull every shot and no safety. So once I carry my 26 around again I'm sure I'll be fine with one in the chamber. I see both sides here, anything can happen in an unpredictably short amount of time and I might not be able to rack the slide back. On the other hand, I grew up around shotguns and rifles. Neither of my parents ever owned handguns so I wasn't as comfortable with them as many of you guys probably are. By the way, I talked both of my parents into getting their IN lifetime carry licneses, they just got them in the mail on Saturday. That makes three of us! Sorry for the long-winded response, but like I said, I've been coming here for a while and this is my first post.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i just started carrying a few days ago. i started off right away with a cocked and locked 1911. i want to be able to be one hand ready.

this should maybe be turned into a poll if the mods can do that

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    wife doesnt like the idea of one in the chamber so thats why i dont carry with one in it... however when i'm w/o her, there is one in the chamber

My wife, even though she 'doesn't like guns', prefers me to carry the way that provides the best protection and advantage. Which is the entire reason why we carry in the first place, no?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom