Status
    Not open for further replies.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I almost never carry one in the chamber. I agree it is personal preference. I understand the arguments for it, but I decide not to. Just having the firearm cc'ed is enough for me.

My :twocents:...

insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    This has really been a tough one for me. I haven't been carrying for more than a week now (just got my Kentucky CCDW) and I know that I should have one in the chamber, but I just haven't been able to get comfortable with it yet. Hopefully it will just take a little time to get used to it. I just get concerned with auto's that have no safety and a light trigger pull. I think that's a logical concern, but that just means my carry weapon may have to have a safety for me to be comfortable keeping one in the chamber. Thankfully I just got the P238 and that safety has made things a hell of a lot easier for me.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I never carry a chambered auto unless it has a thumb safety. Just a weird personal thing based on no hard evidence just personal opinion. That said I mostly carry a revolver so that doesn't really matter for me most of the time. :D

It takes .5 seconds to rack the slide and personally its worth the time for me. Not saying its not for others but im weird like that. :D

Not picking on you either, but stop and think it's more than .5 seconds, it's draw, rack, acquire and shoot, the time taken to rack the slide is more than enough time for a BG to put 2 rounds in you.

The bad guy is not magically going to wait for you rack the slide as you yell "Time Out" :eek:, well might work if he's higher than a kite and proceeds to fall on the ground to laugh his rear off.:rofl:

If a person feels insecure about carrying one in the chamber, they need to practice proper drawing of the firearm for muscle memory, and for you guys who say that they don't carry one in the chamber because of the wife, either don't tell her, or explain to her that that extra time needed to rack the slide may mean the difference in one of your life's.

Mine did not like it either, but I told her that I was not going to give someone an advantage that could cost her or my life.

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    I always carry one in the chamber. I am more than comfortable with it that way, but many are not. Its odd to me that its basically an overall concensus here to carry w/ one in the chamber, but in my circle of friends and family, most of which carry, only myself and my LEO cousin carry that way.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I never carry a chambered auto unless it has a thumb safety. Just a weird personal thing based on no hard evidence just personal opinion. That said I mostly carry a revolver so that doesn't really matter for me most of the time. :D

It takes .5 seconds to rack the slide and personally its worth the time for me. Not saying its not for others but im weird like that. :D

I have a question for you 22lr.
    You are uncomfortable carrying an auto with one in the chamber for your own reasons and that is just fine for you.
    My question: Do you carry your revolver with one at the hammer? or do you load your 6 shooter with 5 and leave the hammer chamber empty?

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    The way I view it is, beyond the tactical reasons for having one in the pipe, there is a liability component. If your firearm isn't loaded to full "X+1" capacity and you are in an altercation where you draw and do not fire, or are accused of firing recklessly by some bystander, it just makes an investigation that much harder if the responding officer finds a round missing. Alternatively if you do fire the weapon the responding detectives will have an easier time if all of the rounds can be accounted for. I just like the peace of mind knowing that if I do end up in a courtroom I won't have to rely on my word that I never loaded that last round.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I always carry with one in the chamber of my Glock. When general firearms safety rules are observed, modern firearms are perfectly safe to be carried loaded.

I do not, however, understand the argument that a gun without one in the chamber is no better than a paperweight. Would it then follow that since it's no better than a paperweight then you just shouldn't carry a gun at all? Call me crazy but I'd rather be one second (slide rack) away from firing than to have "a paperweight." Yes, it's MUCH better to have one in the chamber but if someone isn't comfortable with that then carrying a loaded mag in the gun that's just a second away from firing is clearly second best.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, and at first I didn't carry with a round chambered because there was something wrong with my safety. Jay fixed it for me and I've carried cocked & locked ever since.

Last edited:

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    When I carried my 1911 it was always cocked & locked. But when I switched to my G27 it took me a while to get used to having 1 in the chamber when carrying and it took buying a quality holster to really help with my confidence.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Call me crazy but I'd rather be one second (slide rack) away from firing than to have "a paperweight."

I have always been taught to assume you won't have that second, won't physically be able to rack the slide due to unforseen factors (support hand out of commission, using it to do something else, or in a compromised position such as a clinch or ground fight), or just won't have the presence of mind to do so under the stress and adrenaline dump of a defensive encounter.

Chances are, if you need to use your gun in a defensive encounter, you'll need it RFN. You've already got to acquire the target, draw, align the sights (maybe) and press the trigger; why add another task, when by definition (it's a defensive encounter, not an offensive one), you're already behind the power curve?

So from my POV, having a gun with no round in the chamber (and which you won't be able to chamber in time) is no different than having a paperweight, rock or other relatively heavy blunt instrument. YMMV.

Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I have a question for you 22lr.
    You are uncomfortable carrying an auto with one in the chamber for your own reasons and that is just fine for you.
    My question: Do you carry your revolver with one at the hammer? or do you load your 6 shooter with 5 and leave the hammer chamber empty?

On my model 10 is has the pin fixed on the hammer so I carry on an empty cylinder. In reality it still has a safety mechanism that would prevent it from going off if you hit the hammer, but I do it anyway.

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    In my Colt 1911= Cocked, Locked, & Ready to Rock!!! =)

I used to have a Beretta "Tomcat" .32acp with a tip-up barrel and I always had one in the chamber. I also have an AMT BackUp .45acp that I carry a lot and it is always chambered also!!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have always been taught to assume you won't have that second, won't physically be able to rack the slide due to unforseen factors (support hand out of commission, using it to do something else, or in a compromised position such as a clinch or ground fight), or just won't have the presence of mind to do so under the stress and adrenaline dump of a defensive encounter.

Chances are, if you need to use your gun in a defensive encounter, you'll need it RFN. You've already got to acquire the target, draw, align the sights and press the trigger; why add another task, when by definition (it's a defensive encounter, not an offensive one), you're already behind the power curve?

So from my POV, having a gun with no round in the chamber (and which you won't be able to chamber in time) is no different than having a paperweight, rock or other relatively heavy blunt instrument. YMMV.

Assuming you won't have the extra second (or ability to use your other hand) and planning accordingly is the smart thing to do, and with that I agree. It's simply a matter of preparing for the worst, which will never lead you astray. Realistically though I'm not aware of any data that states whether you definitely will or will not have that magic second. This is why situational awareness is key. My point is only that if someone isn't comfortable carrying with one in the chamber and that feeling prevents them from carrying loaded, it's not entirely worthless to carry a gun. Getting used to carrying loaded resolves any debate, but until one reaches that level it's better than a rock, and certainly better than nothing. He/she is just leaving themselves more vulnerable than they should be.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom