• ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Why?

The answer, because he can. (Though the trick is most useful in a game setting.)

The gentleman in the first pic can do it with any Glock, all of them, with factory springs.

I tried it.................and got what I affectionally call "Glock elbow". I did get the trigger to reset, but that was it.

That said, it is a neat trick.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    I think this would fit much better in the competition forum. Neat trick, not something to use in a defensive scenario.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think this would fit much better in the competition forum. Neat trick, not something to use in a defensive scenario.

What if someone could practice such a maneuver to the point where it could be used in a defensive scenario (perhaps one where your support side becomes incapacitated?) I realize there are several ways that don't have that level of risk, but it is an option.

You're right - not for everyone. But, then again, a lot of what is referred to as modern pistolcraft does have roots in competition.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    Because there are other ways to accomplish the same task that are much more reliable and work with all semi autos across the board.

And even then, I doubt this is any faster or provides any real 'advantage' to using another method. If there is no real upside, but huge potential downside, why even consider it?

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    Did they change the spring? i tryed it with my 17 and it did'nt even clear the chamber, I just don't see how you can do that with a factory gun. My gun is still kinda new that might also be hurting my chances.?

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    As for other pistols, I can get my M&P to reset the trigger, cant get it all the way back yet though.

Or you could carry a revolver and forget you ever had to worry about the problem. :):

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Ok tried this technique out with all my pistols ,Im either not snappy enough or lack arm thrust ratio strength....Ok I made that last one up,but I dont own a glock ......yet .After seeing this video I might finally commit to one,But man,my arm hurts from trying.I know its a parlor trick but its so cool :rockwoot:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What you saw was a factory spring. The guy in the first Vid is USPSA Grand Master and can do that on demand. He was a full 1.5 seconds faster than two other GMs who shot the same stage and did not use that technique. At that level, 1.5 secs is a huge advantage on this stage.

And yes, he (and others) can do it with other pistols. But this guy, Rob Romero is his name, seems to have developed the most proficiency.

I still say it is one helluva tool to have in the toolbox.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    What you saw was a factory spring. The guy in the first Vid is USPSA Grand Master and can do that on demand. He was a full 1.5 seconds faster than two other GMs who shot the same stage and did not use that technique. At that level, 1.5 secs is a huge advantage on this stage.

And yes, he (and others) can do it with other pistols. But this guy, Rob Romero is his name, seems to have developed the most proficiency.

I still say it is one helluva tool to have in the toolbox.

Playing devils advocate here, but you can't show that his loading procedure was an 'advantage' unless you only measure the time it took from magazine in the gun to round in the chamber. Too many other variables after that.

Tool for the box...absolutely....in the competition circuit IMO. Could it work in a defensive scenario? Sure. But I trust other methods that are more positive and arguably about the same speed, if not a few fractions of a second slower.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I don't see when it would be the best idea in a defensive scenario. watching the way he does it, he uses a whole lot more body motion than one would use in a normal reload. I can't think of a scenario that I would go into without already having a full magazine and a round in the chamber. reloads after that would be hot reloads, if possible, and not need the action manually cycled.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    I'm approaching it as one handed loading techniques. It is quite possible you will lose the use of one (or both) hands in a shooting. Ask the people who have done some force on force work, gun/hand hits are quite common.

Even as a one handed technique, I like the rear sight off my belt or holster much better.

Top Bottom